Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Tried to aim my headlights and it turned into an abortion

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2014, 07:13 PM
Jp7
Evolved Member

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts
Tried to aim my headlights and it turned into an abortion

So years ago I raised my headlights some because my car sat lower than stock, and I raised them too much. I rarely drive the car and when I did at night people nearly always flashed at me. Even when I switched my HID adjuster knob to "4" it was still too high.

Today I tried to fix that, and I had the same problem that nearly everyone with an IX/VIII with HID has. The cable driven gear was slipping, and becoming stripped. I removed the bumper fascia today and took off the headlights. I brought them into the house and I took the small cable that joins the 2 adjusters off.

I had to take the back cover off of the motor/adjuster, and spin the shaft with a pair of pliers to get it to free up. Finally I put everthing back together and I notice that especially on the passenger side the projector looks like it is fitting outboard in the opening.

Is yours like this as well? You have to look directly in at the front to compare. The lights have not been put back on the car yet to see how the aim is but I wanted to get your feedback first.

Here is a video explaining better:

Old Oct 5, 2014, 08:41 PM
Jp7
Evolved Member

I fixed the side to side problem. There is another side to side adjuster above the HID projector in the back. It had a cap. I removed my cap and made the side to side adjustment until it was centered.

I will have to verify the aim on the car
Old Oct 6, 2014, 07:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
Are the projectors aimed properly in terms of horizontal aiming? If so, I wouldn't worry about the projector not being perfectly centered
Old Oct 6, 2014, 09:46 AM
Jp7
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by llDemonll
Are the projectors aimed properly in terms of horizontal aiming? If so, I wouldn't worry about the projector not being perfectly centered
Trust me I agree - it was just way off to the outside. It was hard to get good photo of what I mean. I think they are fixed now.

Of course I will verify the aim before I button things up.

Last edited by Jp7; Oct 6, 2014 at 09:59 AM.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 01:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You good on this now or still need help?