Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Mounting the battery under the dash?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2014, 05:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mounting the battery under the dash?

I am in the middle of the of a wiring tuck and I do not want to have to extend the power wire from the main fuse box (tucked under dash) mainly because I do not want to have a chop in the middle of the wire and I not know where i can find a longer power wire that will be a direct bolt on.

I am thinking if I buy a proper battery box/ tie down I can mount it in the glovebox on its side, or even behind the dash as I have nothing back there since the AC/blower? heater core delete.

Do you guys think this is safe? I know people relocate to the trunk but I am not looking to extend wires and if I do ill just keep the small battery in the bay.

Last edited by mitsubeastlee; Oct 23, 2014 at 05:52 PM.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 06:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
That's a different idea. As long as you mount it securely and get a gel cell or ported vent battery so it isn't fuming up the cabin you should be Ok. In an accident however, it would suck if the battery burst though. Mess yourself up pretty bad that way. I'd personally want the battery as far from me as possible in the event of a wreck.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 06:53 PM
.M.
Evolved Member

Received 40 Likes on 40 Posts
^Agree.

I wouldn't do it. But that's me.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 07:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a sealed Odyssey PC680 battery, I am not sure what requirements I need for that battery regarding drag racing...

I agree bursting or fire could be much more dangerous, but I would like to mount it securely and in a sealed box if I can Im thinking where the glovebox or the radio used to be or maybe even where the wipers used to be in the engine bay but hidden (doubt it will fit there though)

I just want to know if A. ITS LEGAL for drag racing, B. Can it be done safe, C. Ideas for mounting, D. Anyone else done this?
Old Oct 24, 2014, 11:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It would not be legal for drag racing as NHRA has stringent rules for keeping the battery isolated from the passenger compartment. See: http://www.nhraracer.com/content/gen...000&zoneid=132

Your local track might allow it, but it wouldn't be worth the risk to you, your passengers or any rescue personnel that would come in contact with your car after a wreck(track or street).