Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

EVO 8 Starts, runs briefly then dies.

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2015, 12:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation EVO 8 Starts, runs briefly then dies.

Hi all,

After half a day sifting the internet for the answer, I am stuck & was hoping someone here could help me.

This morning I changed out my stock ignition coils for aftermarket ones (was having small misfires under high boost & revs and figured the 12 yr old packs were due for replacing anyway), just direct bolt ons & ever since the car will start, run for a max of 10 seconds & then stop, not splutter or anything first but more like someone has just turned the key off. I should probably mention for the 10 secs or so that I do get that it runs incredibly smooth & just runs exactly like it should when cold.

To cover a few things off I will go through my mods & what I have tried to fix it.

K&N Typhoon Intake
Turbo-back 3" exhaust
Wahlbro 255lph fuel pump
GReddy intercooler & piping kit
GReddy Profec Boost controller
Turbosmart dual port BOV
As of today superspark ingition upgrades.

The car is running stock ECU

I am running BPR7ES gapped @ 0.024 "or 0.6mm for us metric folk.

I have tried changing over the relays in under the dash with spares
I have checked all fuses
I have checked all my vacuum hoses
Taken battery off to reset ECU
I also had another set of plugs gapped at 0.020 which I tried but same issue

I am obviously getting spark & initial fuel because it starts & runs but something is killing it straight away. 20mins prior to doing this job I was driving the car fine, I had actually driven it down to get a coffee.

I have seen other threads on the net with people having the exact issue but they have not ever been updated with a result. The CEL has now made itself known too, I have a friend with a OBD thingy but I will not see him until next week.

PS. No I have not put the stock coils back in, I accidentally damaged one this morning (dropped something on it) so that won't be an issue unless I stalk the other guy in town with an EVO & borrow his.

Hopefully someone has had this issue before, thanks in advance for your help.
Old May 28, 2015, 02:26 AM

I should probably add that once it dies I cannot just start it again, it will just sit there cranking & I have to leave it for a couple of minutes before trying again if that is useful to know.

Edit: I got my hands on a OBD reader & it is throwing a P0300 code which probably as no surpise.

Last edited by brad2812; May 28, 2015 at 04:16 AM. Reason: Add more info
Old May 28, 2015, 06:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Check the MAF connection.

Last edited by Ev0ikon; May 28, 2015 at 06:07 AM.
Old May 28, 2015, 03:04 PM

I checked the MAF & the plug was all good, I left it unplugged & started the car to see if that made any difference & the car was much worse with it off so I using that logic to eliminate the MAF.

I have also read that there are 3 fuel pump relays, the first two under the dash turn it on & switch between high & lo, the third one under the bonnet is meant to control flow is the impression I got, is that right?

In any case, to eliminate the 3rd relay I unplugged it & started the car but it did exactly the same thing so I am not sure if that means the relay would be the culprit or purely that the car does not get to the point where enough fuel is flowing for it to be in use.

I have read about people's cars throwing the P0300 code for a variety of stupid reasons & some people going as far as to disable that particular scan in the ECU? I know it seems like a band-aid fix but maybe there is not actually anything wrong besides the ECU not liking the mods?
Old May 28, 2015, 03:51 PM
Evolving Member

fuel pressure when it dies? like any
Old May 28, 2015, 04:46 PM

is there any update for this or have you fixed the problem. I've ran into something very similar to this
Old May 28, 2015, 04:47 PM

I have not checked the fuel pressure when it dies, I still have that OBD reader I borrowed so I might see if I can log something, surely there would be one for the fuel pressure. What sort of readings should I be seeing?
Old May 28, 2015, 05:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Your FPR?
Old May 28, 2015, 05:21 PM

I don't have an aftermarket FPR, I know there would be some kind of stock system for that too but I don't have any pressure gauge or anything that I could use to tap into it, is there a sensor value for it that I could use with the OBD reader that you know of?

I am a bit noob when it comes to the whole concept of FPR, like I know what they do etc but I have not had to mess about with one yet. Out of all the cars I have owned, never had an issue like this before is all, kinda lucky in a way.
Old May 28, 2015, 05:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by brad2812
I don't have an aftermarket FPR, I know there would be some kind of stock system for that too but I don't have any pressure gauge or anything that I could use to tap into it, is there a sensor value for it that I could use with the OBD reader that you know of?

I am a bit noob when it comes to the whole concept of FPR, like I know what they do etc but I have not had to mess about with one yet. Out of all the cars I have owned, never had an issue like this before is all, kinda lucky in a way.
This is what i am talking about. your stock one if faulty can cause that symptom also. if you want, try changing it out.
Old May 28, 2015, 05:33 PM
Evolved Member

whoops here ya go!
Attached Thumbnails EVO 8 Starts, runs briefly then dies.-fpr.jpg  
Old May 28, 2015, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Bhsj13
This is what i am talking about. your stock one if faulty can cause that symptom also. if you want, try changing it out.
Told you I was a bit noob at that lol ok well when I get home from work I will run the OBD while I try to start it, if it seems like pressure if dropping off & causing it to die then I will just replace the FPR, are most people just replacing with stock or is aftermarket the best option? I read something once, with a different car about you can test a fuel pump/fpr but pinching the lines or something, making it work harder, would that apply here?
Old May 28, 2015, 10:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Check fuses under the dash. When I upgraded my coils it caused one of them to blow. Can't remember exactly which one, but I had the same symptoms as you.
Old May 29, 2015, 12:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
your fuel pump may be going bad. as others said, check your fuel pressure. the misfire could have been a lean misfire from the pump not putting out enough fuel. that would also explain it running ok, prior to not starting. you can check it a few ways. key on, engine off, check the schraeder valve at the fuel rail. there should be gas in it. hook up a pressure gauge to the schraeder valve in the fuel rail. crank about 10 times, it should be at about 40- 50 psi at least. or, crank it while someone bangs on the gas tank with a hammer. sometimes that will actually get the pump working. other than that, check codes, and timing. good luck.
Old May 29, 2015, 01:12 AM

So when I got home from work it was dark so I was limited for options but I thought I would try logging the fuel data from the OBD reader while I started it, not so good, it connected ok but as I start the car it resets the unit & by the time it connects again the car has stalled so that was not the result I had hoped.

I checked all fuses & relays etc that seemed like they would relate to the engine but will go to the effort of taking every single fuse out, just to be sure.

Will check the FPR as well, from what I have read, if i remove the vacuum line from the FPR & it has fuel in it then it is a sign that it is gone, can someone confirm? (nobody in town carries FPRs so it may mean a 90min trip to get one)

I hope it is not the pump, it is less then 12 months old but I would not be the first or last person to get a bad fuel pump. I really am suspecting something fuel related, purely based on the fact it starts, run & then stalls. Just seems like, it is priming but then something is stopping it from continuously pumping.

I wish the original coils were still in good shape, just to test but then again, I am not only interested in fixing it, I want to know why it is failing.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, I will report back tomorrow morning once I have checked the stuff suggested.

Quick Reply: EVO 8 Starts, runs briefly then dies.