Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Compression/leak down numbers

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2015, 09:27 AM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Quick little background; I bought an evo 9 about a month ago. Car has 80k miles, tbe, fmic w/ piping, and intake. Car was tuned by buschur. Just took it to titan motorsports in Orlando to get some tests done. Things are not looking very good.

1-115-53%
2-116-50%
3-125-42%
4-146-15%
Comments: leaking from crank case

Looks like I have some trouble looming ahead. I want advice, thoughts, and possible solutions from my fellow evo owners. The route I would like to take right now is just drive it like it is for as long as I can.

Last edited by pistons4550; Jun 1, 2015 at 09:57 AM.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 12:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
driving like it is for as long as you can is like a ticking time bomb.
address the problem, ask an evo specific shop on what they recommend and what choices u have. or consider parting ways with that car and look for another one
asking advice on a forum with people who hardly drive their cars wont be much help as talking to an evo shop directly and getting feedback then and there.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 04:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is it the valves leaking or the piston rings?

either way you can drive fine like that, will just be down on power and use a bit more oil. you will want to get it fixed at some point though, valve stem seals are easy to replace, rings are a bit harder and if going the route may as well freshen up the whole engine.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 07:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
One good cylinder makes me wonder what happened. Well, it is always about mixture. If you decide to keep it overhaul is the answer.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 07:49 PM

most likely wear and tear, crap oil, crap service history, raped within an inch of its life etc etc.

he needs to tell us where its leaking. piston rings is a bit poo. you can drive it with worn rings until the comps so slow it wont even start up or you have to start topping up the oil daily then rebuild it
Old Jun 2, 2015, 04:03 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Dave123456789
most likely wear and tear, crap oil, crap service history, raped within an inch of its life etc etc.

he needs to tell us where its leaking. piston rings is a bit poo. you can drive it with worn rings until the comps so slow it wont even start up or you have to start topping up the oil daily then rebuild it
Im almost sure he the rings but when I called to verify today, they told me they would ask the mechanic but either there was no way to know for sure.

Is this really gonna be as bad as some people say? If it doesnt have much time left, I might have to sadly give it up. Not that I dont have the money, but I really dont want to go through something like that. This really sucks.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by pistons4550
Im almost sure he the rings but when I called to verify today, they told me they would ask the mechanic but either there was no way to know for sure.

Is this really gonna be as bad as some people say? If it doesnt have much time left, I might have to sadly give it up. Not that I dont have the money, but I really dont want to go through something like that. This really sucks.

do comp test, then put a bit of oil in each cylinder and do it again. it comp goes up its rings. if it stays the same most likely valves but there are other possibilities.

well it is bad depending on where your losing compression. if its valves its an easy job, rings a bit harder.

Its not as bad as some people make it out to be, I have driven some real old buckets of crap with less than 100 on each cylinder and they still went, just used oil and had low power.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 05:09 PM
Evolving Member

Ive been looking around for info on why one cylinder would be higher and the only reason I have seen is carbon build up. Can anyone confirm this?
Old Jun 3, 2015, 05:25 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
so the leakdown on all cylinders has it coming from the crankcase? bad rings or holes burned into the piston rings, maybe. it's possible the one cylinder was getting more fuel than the others, assuming it's closest to where fuel goes into the fuel rail.

just guesses, without further testing/scoping/etc.
Old Jul 11, 2015, 07:27 AM
Evolving Member

Its been 2k miles since my last oil change now and I havent lost a drop of oil. I thought with my kind of compression and leak down numbers, I should be burning lots or at least a noticeable amount? Please correct me If im wrong.
Old Jul 11, 2015, 09:08 AM
kaj

Its been 2k miles since my last oil change now and I havent lost a drop of oil. I thought with my kind of compression and leak down numbers, I should be burning lots or at least a noticeable amount? Please correct me If im wrong.
You would think.
On the leak down test, each cylinder was at TDC on the compression stroke?
Weird.

**edit. Looks like the shop did it.

Thats strange, dude.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 09:03 PM
Evolving Member

Posting again because while I havent driven the car much lately (still at a little over 2k miles since last oil change and NO loss of oil thus far) I noticed a crack on my valve cover. Correct me if I am wrong but the valve cover is not removed during a leak down test. Could this fracturing caused inaccurate test results?

Old Aug 4, 2015, 11:02 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts

That's not the valve cover, that's the coil cover, and yes, it comes off.

I would take the car to another shop for a 2nd opinion. It would not run very well with those leak down numbers...
Old Aug 5, 2015, 04:52 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
That's not the valve cover, that's the coil cover, and yes, it comes off.

I would take the car to another shop for a 2nd opinion. It would not run very well with those leak down numbers...
Damn Im retarded. I took that picture earlier and since it wasnt wide enough, for some reason I remembered it as the valve cover lol.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 11:13 AM
kaj

Damn Im retarded. I took that picture earlier and since it wasnt wide enough, for some reason I remembered it as the valve cover lol.
LOL. No worries. It happens. I've done sillier things.

Quick Reply: Compression/leak down numbers