Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Need advice on pricing my evo for sale

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2015, 11:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm considering selling my stock 2006 Evo IX MR SE. It has 32,300 miles, and is cosmetically perfect: no door dings, no wheel rash, etc. so on and such forth. The only mods I've made are to switch the positions of the gauge panel and the radio, and putting a third-part EL overlay over the stock instrument facing. Both mods are trivial to undo.

I have a binder with all the paperwork and service documentation from the window sticker onwards.

I do love the car but I just don't drive it much any more...

What I'm trying to do now is figure out how much to ask for it. Any opinions would be welcome.

Last edited by dramsey; Aug 14, 2015 at 11:57 AM.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 12:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
If it has had its 30k service, you could probably get $24-25k for it. Careful about making claims of it being cosmetically perfect though. Unless if was completely clear bra'd from day one your paint is going to have imperfections. Not to mention seat bolster wear.

Last edited by nemsin; Aug 14, 2015 at 12:30 PM.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 02:07 PM

Yeah 25k should be reasonable. Put it as 27k and see what people offer. A lot of people want good condition Evos so you should have no problems.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 03:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There have been IX's with more mileage and not as good a condition as yours seems like and they got 24k. I'd ask 29k or best offer. Dont take less then 26k for it.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 03:17 PM
Evolved Member

All depends how quickly he want to sell it. At 24-25k it will likely sell reasonably fast. At 26-27k it will likely sit around for a while. It may seem like a small difference, but remember banks will only finance so much (likely not even close to 26k on an Evo 9). So that extra couple grand means a buyer has to have that cash on hand.

I have seen some rediculously clean & low mileage 9's sell for ~25k in the last couple months. The threads can still be found on evom.

Last edited by nemsin; Aug 14, 2015 at 03:21 PM.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by nemsin
If it has had its 30k service, you could probably get $24-25k for it. Careful about making claims of it being cosmetically perfect though. Unless if was completely clear bra'd from day one your paint is going to have imperfections. Not to mention seat bolster wear.
As it happens, it has been clear bra'd from day 1. Not the entire car, but the front of the hood, fenders, leading edge of the roof, etc. That said, I did find a small paint chip (couple of mm) back on the roof today, so I guess "perfect" is no longer correct.

Doesn't really seem to be any noticeable seat bolster wear. I'm a fairly small guy.

I've had servicing done by a local independent since I'm in Reno and the nearest dealer is in Roseville, a 2-hour drive away.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 03:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I paid $23k for my IX MR with all bolt ons, and coils, with 48k miles. I'd have paid the same for bone stock Evo, but not more. You might get more, but you'll have to wait a little. Good luck!
Old Aug 14, 2015, 03:57 PM

If I decide to put it up for sale (right now I'm in the "If I sell it will I be kicking myself for the rest of my life" phase), should I offer it here first?
Old Aug 14, 2015, 04:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dramsey
If I decide to put it up for sale (right now I'm in the "If I sell it will I be kicking myself for the rest of my life" phase), should I offer it here first?
Post it here, craigslist, autotrader, etc. (basically anywhere that is free). Once you have an ad its pretty much just copy-paste. No reason to limit your pool of potential buyers.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by nemsin
Post it here, craigslist, autotrader, etc. (basically anywhere that is free). Once you have an ad its pretty much just copy-paste. No reason to limit your pool of potential buyers.
Yeah, but idealist that I am, I'd prefer the car go to an enthusiast that would appreciate it. A friend of mine wanted to buy it for his kid's first car, and I refused.

Really! How long would a teenage boy last with an Evo as his first car!
Old Aug 14, 2015, 04:47 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Originally Posted by dramsey
Yeah, but idealist that I am, I'd prefer the car go to an enthusiast that would appreciate it. A friend of mine wanted to buy it for his kid's first car, and I refused.

Really! How long would a teenage boy last with an Evo as his first car!
i predict less than a month LOL.

all the info here sounds correct. i wouldn't start at a crazy number, though. some of us walk away from a ridiculously high price because we don't really like having to negotiate much. you will still get bites, of course... just less, most likely.

i'd love a stock Evo IX, especially an SE.. so i'm glad you aren't in California, because i do NOT need another haha.

good luck, man. it WILL sell, price depends on your patience.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 04:57 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
interested in trading for an evo x? 2012 gsr with 38k miles on it.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 05:59 PM

I'm glad you are selling it to an enthusiast. Too many people buy these and just trash them. Especially hearing your friend was gonna buy it for his sons first car... With these cars being no longer made I wish more people had your mindset.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 12:03 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
With those low miles I would post it for around $29k. If you post on FB, you'll get a lot of flaming crap comments from people but who cares. i see you getting all your $ for it. Just don't be in a rush to sell it.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 04:11 PM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
I bought two evo 9 MRs in the past year and if I was still looking I wouldve offered as much as 26 if its everything you say it is. But someone made a good point, for people who know what to look for, the 30k service could make like a 1k price difference. Plus tire condition.

If its gg then I might have even offered 27

Quick Reply: Need advice on pricing my evo for sale