Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Direct Clutch Services Twin Plate

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2015, 01:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Direct Clutch Services Twin Plate

Hi Guys

I'm after some feedback on Direct Clutch Services Twin Plate clutches for an Evo 9.

I'm looking at upgrading my Evo 9 stock clutch here in Brisbane and wanted a final check to make sure I'm making the right decision.
The 2 options I was considering was the NPC Twin Plate with Billet Flywheel and the Direct Clutch Services Twin Plate kit.
After a lot of researching I found the 2 seemed fairly even for my requirements.

But considering I was quoted $4200 for the NPC fitted and $3200 for the Direct Clutch fitted I think I'll opt for the Direct clutch.

Currently running 26psi making 205KW atw, but plan on upgrading turbo to FP Red in the near future.
I have been told both clutches will handle up to and possibly exceeding 500KW so I should be fine.

I'm running off a Haltech ECU with the capability of launch control so I would like the clutch to be able to handle this feature. Not often but at least every now and again.
My car is not used daily - only 50-200kms per month if that.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 02:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Have you looked into Exedy twin disks? They should be a little bit cheaper and handle the power levels you mentioned without a problem. I'm currently running one and love it.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 11:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah I did some reading on Exedy which had generally good feedback. Some people did say they destroyed theirs but was from launches.

I think Direct Clutch Services use Exedy and modify by strengthening the weak points like fingers.
Here's what the work shop said:

For your EVO 9, the best option for the perfect daily driver is,

Direct clutch Hi-torque clutch kit (A step up from heavy duty).
(It is an Exedy clutch kit modified by Direct clutch).
The pedal feel is soft and very easy to drive.

Even if you go Direct Clutch Services twin-plate; the pedal feel will be soft also.

There are a few guys on the Qld evo owners group that run the Hi-torque clutch kit (Shannon Fleming 380kw EVO 9, Bruce Dang 220kw EVO 8MR, Kody Bladin 270kw EVO 9, James Gallant EVO 9 250kw).

In terms of twin plate; my previous car was an EVO 6; before we sold it it made 513kw. That was a twin plate clutch from Direct clutch services also. VERY drivable as a daily. You can message Jason Richardson as he has a twin plate in his EVO 8MR making 290kw.

NPC clutches are great, however from the evo's that have come in here; the pedal is stiff. Regardless of what people say I couldn't live/drive a car with a stiff/heavy clutch pedal.

Yes, launching will wear out heavy duty clutches quickly and overheat them also whereas a twin plate will handle launching/heat alot better and wear out slightly less but how long will both types of clutches last? that depends on how you drive the car also.