Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo Black Box?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2004, 02:06 PM
LDB
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Evo Black Box?

Originally posted by Shannador
I'd certainly hate to get into some accident, at any speed, where the cops can find out that I hit 130 racing a turbo Eclipse down a long, straight road at 2am!
Simple solution. Don't be street racing no matter what time or place or conditions it is. Keep it on the track where it belongs and where it's all verifiable and there's no problem.
Old Mar 24, 2004, 02:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exactly. What do you have to worry about, if you keep it where it belongs?

Last edited by Mister2zx3; Mar 24, 2004 at 02:18 PM.
Old Nov 8, 2004, 05:48 PM

Anyone notice the blurb (a sticker no less) about the event data recorder in their 2005 evo manual. Anyone know how to get rid of it? My guess is you cant just unplug it and throw it in the trash

Heres an article on where EDR's are headed http://www.autoweek.com/article.cms?articleId=101136
Old Nov 8, 2004, 07:08 PM
Evolving Member

Pilots only agreed to flight data and cockpit voice recorders for aircraft when rules were put into place saying that the information could not be used against them personally. The information is for crash investigation uses only.

Sometimes it seems that there will come a point where buying a vehicle with one more horse power than is needed to get you to the posted speed limit is pointless. You remove the control from some to protect those who are unable or unwilling to control themselves. My opinion is that they need to make the driving test much tougher, increase the speed limit on interstates, but make the penalties for breaking the limits devastating.

Best wishes,
f86sabre
Old Nov 8, 2004, 07:22 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I have an '03 so it probably doesn't have any sort of data recorder (I haven't found anything) however the airbag system is an ECU, and could save that data I suppose.. I actually think I've posted this in the past..
Old Nov 8, 2004, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by f86sabre
Pilots only agreed to flight data and cockpit voice recorders for aircraft when rules were put into place saying that the information could not be used against them personally. The information is for crash investigation uses only.

Sometimes it seems that there will come a point where buying a vehicle with one more horse power than is needed to get you to the posted speed limit is pointless. You remove the control from some to protect those who are unable or unwilling to control themselves. My opinion is that they need to make the driving test much tougher, increase the speed limit on interstates, but make the penalties for breaking the limits devastating.

Best wishes,
f86sabre
Im with ya on the tougher driving tests and penalties opinion. My main concern is being forced to pay for electronics in my car that may be used in unspecified ways in a legal manner. Some companies are installing these devices in cars faster than legislation can be enacted regarding thier use. Thats only some companies. EDR's are curiously absent in quite a few, much more "irresponsibly powerfull" cars such as the nearly 500 hp two wheel drive Porsche GT2. In fact they are absent in many 400+hp Euro cars. Compaired to these the evo is a bit underpowered. Bottom line is we shouldnt put bars on all the windows just because some people get pushed out of them.

Admitidly I dont know enough about the EDR in my car. If it has the ability to "wake up" when it senses high g-loads (like some of the onstar connected GM EDM's do) and the dealer can then download all that info, I want it out.
Old Nov 8, 2004, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by MalibuJack
I have an '03 so it probably doesn't have any sort of data recorder (I haven't found anything) however the airbag system is an ECU, and could save that data I suppose.. I actually think I've posted this in the past..
I did look at most of the info posted here about this and it seems the EDR is a new addition to '05's.
Old Nov 11, 2004, 10:30 AM
Evolving Member

Article discussing black boxes

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,132056,00.html
Old Nov 11, 2004, 10:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
big brother in the car is sadly inevitable. The only thing that saves us is there will be no reason to spend money to sift through all the data unless something catostrophic happens.

I won't buy a car that calls the cops when I crash. Even if it could save my life!
Old Nov 11, 2004, 11:01 AM
Evolved Member

I remember a similar story about a guy who was cruising down a residential road and t-boned a teenage girl killing her. He swore under oath he was doing the speed limit. After retrieving his EDR data, it showed that he was over twice the speed limit 7 seconds prior to impact and just under double the limit at moment of airbag deployment. He was convicted of vehicular manslaughter.

Now the question becomes, who owns the information on those recorders? Does the state or the owner? If you are in an accident the courts and subpoena the information but if you erase it from the log, where does that leave the justice system?

I understand how everyone is worried about "Big Brother". But as long as legislation is closely watched, this item can be more help than harm. I don't want anyone knowing where I'm at or how fast I'm going but if I do have an accident and that information could be used to aquit me, I'd rather have it. If I'm at fault and this information shows that too, I'll be a man and stand up to the punishment.

For those of you who think otherwise, perhaps it is YOU who are the reason why we need these in our cars.
Old Nov 11, 2004, 11:04 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I heard this was invasion of privacy and the court ruled it unconstitutional.
Old Nov 11, 2004, 11:19 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Cirrusly Evolvd
I remember a similar story about a guy who was cruising down a residential road and t-boned a teenage girl killing her. He swore under oath he was doing the speed limit. After retrieving his EDR data, it showed that he was over twice the speed limit 7 seconds prior to impact and just under double the limit at moment of airbag deployment. He was convicted of vehicular manslaughter.

Now the question becomes, who owns the information on those recorders? Does the state or the owner? If you are in an accident the courts and subpoena the information but if you erase it from the log, where does that leave the justice system?

I understand how everyone is worried about "Big Brother". But as long as legislation is closely watched, this item can be more help than harm. I don't want anyone knowing where I'm at or how fast I'm going but if I do have an accident and that information could be used to aquit me, I'd rather have it. If I'm at fault and this information shows that too, I'll be a man and stand up to the punishment.

For those of you who think otherwise, perhaps it is YOU who are the reason why we need these in our cars.
In the example you described, I think everyone would agree having the EDR was a good thing. If it can be limited to just as you described, then I agree with you - on abalcne, it's probably a good thing. But the thing is, once you give up control of your privacy, it tends to keep getting eroded. That's where people rightfully get nervous. You can also come up with all sorts of scenarios in which it might implicate the wrong person, or be used selectively. Say I'm doing 65 in a 55, going with the flow of traffic - common thing, right? But if some bonehead who doesn't know how to merge pulls right in front of me, and he's doing 55, who's going to get in trouble? EDR's would have to be pretty damn sophisiticated to tell the whole story, and I don't think they're there yet.
Old Nov 11, 2004, 04:36 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Stockfornow...
I have never flamed anyone on any board of any kind but I am afraid I have to now.

Mister2zx3...you and people like you would lead us to a country with total governmental control and we all have seen how thats worked out every time it's tried. The government doesn't know what's best for us, you sure as hell don't know what's best for us. If you want to give up your rights and freedoms that our forfathers have died for then just head across one of the oceans and go live out your dream, cuz I sure don't want you voting in my free country. Just because you don't have the guts or brains to run your own life doesn't mean I/we can't. Why not have cameras on all the streets and just install "lojack" type chips on us as soon as we pop out of the womb too...just in case the feds want to track us later on. They want the GPS in the cell phones to track criminals, not because the care about safety issues. They want to be able to remotely disable our cars too, in the off chance any given car is involved in a pursuit situation.

I know I sound like one of those paranoid geeks, I assure you I am not. I am just a normal guy that cares about keeping my/our business my/our own. I don't want the car that I paid for helping to convict me, is that unreasonable? No one ever thought "Echelon/Carnivore" would ever be possible either but guess what....

Sorry mods, I understand if you have to put me in time-out, but guys like this just **** me off.

Amen Brotha!
Old Nov 11, 2004, 05:28 PM
Evolved Member

i have heard of this before. i wouldnt worry to much though. most of them only record 3 seconds and then rerecord, they only save that data if the airbags deplay. help convict a guy of a dui/manslaughter in florida a while back. in my opinion it is an invassion of privacy, that turns our cars into public domain. but i can understand the reasoning. not as bad as the ones my dad always told me he got, they record everything, how hard the car accelerated, how long it was parked, miles driven, top speed, ect. you just take them out and plug them into your computer after your kid drives your car. ouch.
Old Nov 11, 2004, 05:36 PM
Evolved Member

Ok. after reading this, I do believe it is time to sell my evo8 and buy an evo5 or 6. I like those better anyway! :P

plokivos: your sig reminds me of that Dodge Magnum commercial where the "Lotus" driver asks "what do you have in there?" to which the Magnum driver spouts off a plethora of items including 12 2x4's...hahaha

Last edited by RogueSTi; Nov 11, 2004 at 05:39 PM.

Quick Reply: Evo Black Box?