Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo Black Box?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2004, 06:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't see what everybody is getting so twisted about. If car companies put EDRs in cars it simply creates a new market for service provides to take them back out. Most EDRs are going to be implemented as software in the ECU. Somebody who is handy with a hex editor simply writes over the offending bits with NOPs (No Operation) and the problem is solved.

If that is too advanced for the mulletwaring set they can always take a tazer to their car if they happen to wreck. pops all the transitors so there is no memory to retrieve the data from.
Old Nov 11, 2004, 07:16 PM

Someone out of all the members here must know something about it. I know its in The 05's, aparently not in the 03's, how bout the 04's

Location?

Can it just be unpluged?
Old Nov 11, 2004, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by danc
In the example you described, I think everyone would agree having the EDR was a good thing. If it can be limited to just as you described, then I agree with you - on abalcne, it's probably a good thing. But the thing is, once you give up control of your privacy, it tends to keep getting eroded. That's where people rightfully get nervous. You can also come up with all sorts of scenarios in which it might implicate the wrong person, or be used selectively. Say I'm doing 65 in a 55, going with the flow of traffic - common thing, right? But if some bonehead who doesn't know how to merge pulls right in front of me, and he's doing 55, who's going to get in trouble? EDR's would have to be pretty damn sophisiticated to tell the whole story, and I don't think they're there yet.

This is a good example of why they shouldnt be arbitraraly(?) put in all cars. Plus If I hit Grandma at 100 miles an hour while shes pulling out of her driveway. No way does anyone need a black box to prove I was lying under oath about going 35. Even if there are not skid marks to measure, the accident investagators are going to get close on a speed estimate.