Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Mivec P0011

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2015, 06:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mivec P0011

This a variable valve timing code. Do you guys think that the break in conventional oil can be causing this or I have a faulty component. What can cause this? Oil control/mivec solenoid, a clog in the mivec feed line or filter? It has a newly rebuilt engine and a known good mivec cam gear. So what else could it be?

Last edited by Sheasta; Oct 31, 2015 at 10:11 AM.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 03:41 PM
Evolving Member

I replaced the oil feed line, conical filter, check valve, crush washers, and tested the mivec solenoid which passed the test (ohms in spec and clicked over when energized.) ideas?
Old Oct 31, 2015, 10:10 AM
Evolving Member

After everything I've already done from the last post I have also replaced the ecu, the tune has been gone through, the oil pressure is good, no oil leaks, timing is perfect, brand new brad penn oil change, the rough idle was because the injectors were bad and misfiring at idle so it turns out this was unrelated to the p0011 code (new injectors, car runs perfect) , the engine was rebuilt so the mivec cam gear (known good used cam gear), brand new cams, and cleaned head have no clogs and this code was present before the rebuild so it is unrelated.

My mivec is not making any noise and is operating normally. I'm thinking I have a wiring issue with the oil control valve circuit or the code is on for no reason...

I will update after checking the wiring tomorrow. Please... I would really appreciate some input.
The following users liked this post:
br3akrboi (Jan 28, 2024)
Old Nov 3, 2015, 10:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
P0011 is a camshaft timing related dtc. Do you have aftermarket cams, and cam gears? If you delete the dtc does it come back right away? ohming the wires from the pcm to the oil control solenoid is a good start. Very curious on the dtc and how fast it comes back
Old Nov 4, 2015, 08:12 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by boxerdropper
P0011 is a camshaft timing related dtc. Do you have aftermarket cams, and cam gears? If you delete the dtc does it come back right away? ohming the wires from the pcm to the oil control solenoid is a good start. Very curious on the dtc and how fast it comes back
. Yes I have gsc s2 cams. I'm 99% sure it's in the wiring. I did everything else and I have an open between the signal wire at the connector to the ecu. Now I can trace wires... Yay.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 08:56 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
what exactly was done during the engine rebuild? Have you talked to the engine builder about your problems? Usually you get a warranty that should cover something like this, even if its just a wiring problem.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 09:52 AM

Just overlay it. If you can find what pin its off the the pcm. I would just run a new wire and make sure that fixes it. Then make it look pretty.
The following users liked this post:
br3akrboi (Jan 28, 2024)
Old Nov 5, 2015, 06:14 PM
Evolving Member

Just overlay it. If you can find what pin its off the the pcm. I would just run a new wire and make sure that fixes it. Then make it look pretty.
No wiring warranty . Issue was present before build.

After testing further I found that when testing pin 1 with a good ground I have battery voltage as I should. When I use pin 2 as the ground I lose 1.25v somewhere between where the harness all comes together in the back by the brake booster and the ecu. If I check resistance from the ecu connector to the ocv connector I have 385 k ohms... Between the connector and the harness before they all meet at the iacv connector I have only .2 ohms of resistance.

So yes my next course of action will be to replace the wire and see if all is well after that. Based on the results that is the issue.
Old Nov 6, 2015, 06:09 AM

Sounds like you have a fuzzy green wire some where. Good luck on the fix.
Old Nov 6, 2015, 10:04 AM
Evolving Member

Sounds like you have a fuzzy green wire some where. Good luck on the fix.
Any idea the specific kind and gauge of wire I should use ?

I also forgot to add that my wire is green and white and the diagram shows pink and black . Previous owner may have already tried replacing it .
Old Nov 7, 2015, 11:18 AM

You'll be ok with 18 gauge. Pull apart to see if to see if you can tell theirs a splice/new connector there. If you really do 350+kohms from the solenoid to the pcm theirs excessive resistance in there. I would just cut and splice in a new wire to make sure its fixed. Hope this diagram helps
Old Nov 8, 2015, 09:31 AM
Evolving Member

You'll be ok with 18 gauge. Pull apart to see if to see if you can tell theirs a splice/new connector there. If you really do 350+kohms from the solenoid to the pcm theirs excessive resistance in there. I would just cut and splice in a new wire to make sure its fixed. Hope this diagram helps
Thank you
Old Nov 8, 2015, 02:03 PM
Evolving Member

I cut the signal wire (pink and black in the diagram) at the ecu ecu connector and ocv connector with a few inches remaining on either end and soldered in an 18 gauge wire. Now I'm getting battery voltage at the connector when using the signal as the ground. When I started the car the code was gone and I didn't even have to clear it.

Edit: Ok after a drive, turning the car off , and back on the code is back . I was sure it was going to be that . The car even seemed to drive a little different and while logging on evoscan the mivec wasn't fluctuating as much as before. I'm not really sure what to do now.

Last edited by Sheasta; Nov 8, 2015 at 04:48 PM.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 05:40 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Good luck figuring this out. After I rebuilt my engine I had this code appear as well and I have no idea why, everything should be fine. I'll check my wires like you did, is there anything that describes the process more in depth?
Old Nov 9, 2015, 07:36 AM

Can you monitor the intake phaser position to see if theirs an actual position and desired position. I'm glad the light went off. Should probably try deleting it. Do you have adjustable cam gears. Found this for the definition of that dtc.

P0011 Variable Valve Timing System - Manual and Automatic Transmission
Possible Causes Setting Conditions
VVT sprocket operation mechanism is stuck
Oil feeder control valve has failed
Oil passage (part of VVT system) is clogged
PCM has failed
Engine runtime over 20 seconds; engine speed more than 1,200 rpm, ECT signal more than 169ºF, and the PCM detected that the Phase angle of the intake camshaft indicated more than 5 degrees, condition met for 5 seconds. This engine adopts variable valve timing control (MIVEC). This system optimally controls the intake valve timing in accordance with the operation conditions of the engine, and improves the idling stability and the fuel economy as well as increases the power output and torque in all operating range

Quick Reply: Mivec P0011