Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Ef4 installed....no boost???

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2015, 03:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Ef4 installed....no boost???

I recently installed a map ef4 into my evo 8. Now I am not getting any boost, I may get 1-4 pounds and here a slight release from the bov and that's it. I haven't hammered on it at all because the car is not tuned for this turbo yet but I can just tell that something is wrong. The dowel pin that clocks the turbo compressor to the hot side was missing but I marked it with a sharpie on top and got it lined up damn near perfect. . Could it be that the wga is too tight? Or maybe the mbc needs to be adjusted?
I did a boost leak test and fixed all leaking issues, under throttle I can almost hear what sounds like a boost leak or a slight whine.... any thoughts or tips would be much appreciated ...
Old Oct 6, 2015, 03:46 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 184 Likes on 130 Posts
Sounds like wga not tight enough. I would be more conserned about that missing pin rather then how much boost i can make at this time. If your only making 1-4 lbs I would say that the wga isnt tight enough as i said. I would go back and make sure its properly adjusted before i go any further.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 05:21 PM
Evolving Member

I installed the compressor side first, I bolted the oil return to the bottom of the turbo then both coolant lines then the remote oil line feed from the oil filter housing.
Then I installed the hot side and clocked it properly as close as I could get it since the alignment pin is broken off.
I then installed the turbo smart wga and buttoned everything up.
Once I started the car I heard the map o2 dump leaking under the car, then I shut it off and adjusted the wga so that the dump wasn't leaking anymore and then took it for a test drive and here I am. No boost.
I am considering removing the turbo again and having a machinist friend drill out the old alignment pin and put a new one in to insure proper alignment of the turbo.
The wga is tight enough as to where I can barely pull it up enough to get it onto the wga flapper arm...
Old Oct 6, 2015, 05:41 PM
Evolving Member

I just verified that the wga does in fact move freely by hooking my air compressor up to it..
Old Oct 7, 2015, 01:44 AM
EvoM Guru

ok how many lbs of air did it it take for it to open? I know when I did my wga it was a pita to get the correct preload on the thing. I had to use rope to pull down on it to get it to work. If you don't have at least your wg pressure opening up the wga then it needs to be tighter. If it is anything less then what the wga spring is, then your going to have to readjust it. Either that or that pin that is broke off is causing the turbo to leak. Or if all that is fixed and your sure none of that is the problem then maybe its because your car isn't tuned. Like you said though it maybe worth it to repull the turbo and get your buddy to put that pin in that way you can assure everything is sealed correctly.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 03:27 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by cursedsm
ok how many lbs of air did it it take for it to open? I know when I did my wga it was a pita to get the correct preload on the thing. I had to use rope to pull down on it to get it to work. If you don't have at least your wg pressure opening up the wga then it needs to be tighter. If it is anything less then what the wga spring is, then your going to have to readjust it. Either that or that pin that is broke off is causing the turbo to leak. Or if all that is fixed and your sure none of that is the problem then maybe its because your car isn't tuned. Like you said though it maybe worth it to repull the turbo and get your buddy to put that pin in that way you can assure everything is sealed correctly.
I'm not exactly sure how many pounds of air it took I just hooked up a vacuum line to the wga then pumped air into it with my air compressor until it opened..

I'm almost 99% sure the turbo is clocked correctly, I can't see the pin not being in creating a exhaust leak, the v band clamp is still tight.
Think the mbc could be the problem and needs to be reset?
Old Oct 7, 2015, 03:52 PM
EvoM Guru

OK if your sure everything is correct check to see if your mbc is hooked up backwards swap the lines see if it changes anything. Been there done that before lol
Old Oct 7, 2015, 04:12 PM
Evolving Member

OK if your sure everything is correct check to see if your mbc is hooked up backwards swap the lines see if it changes anything. Been there done that before lol
I'll double check the mbc.
I took it for a short drive with the wga run directly to the J pipe and Ithe struggled to get to 4 psi by 5k rpm. After that I took it home and parked it.
Dunno what to do........
I tried to adjust the wga again and I got nowhere. ... turn the threaded rod clockwise....counter clockwise..... I dunno
Old Oct 7, 2015, 04:48 PM
EvoM Guru

You want to go clockwise to make the rod shorter that will give you more preload. I would make it so the eye of the hole is about half way between the end of the hole itself and the middle of the hole so basically half way between the lower half of the end of the rod. That should be enough preload. But yes definitely check the mbc to make sure you didn't do a me and hook it up backwards lol.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 06:37 PM
Evolving Member

You want to go clockwise to make the rod shorter that will give you more preload. I would make it so the eye of the hole is about half way between the end of the hole itself and the middle of the hole so basically half way between the lower half of the end of the rod. That should be enough preload. But yes definitely check the mbc to make sure you didn't do a me and hook it up backwards lol.
I'm going to remove the turbo after work tomorrow and have my machinist friend drill out and replace the broken dowel pin with a new one so that I know the turbo is clocked properly.
The only other thing I changed was re installing my 3 inch cat back.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 01:42 AM
EvoM Guru

Yeah that would be a good idea, I don't see anything you have done really causing a problem. Again doesn't make any since and the only thing that would cause a problem like that would be wga or the mbc being hooked up backwards. But like you said get that fixed make sure its 100% correct and start over from there.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 06:40 AM
Evolving Member

I'm thinking that the turbo is improperly clocked enough to create an issue. I will report back once I have gotten it repaired and re installed...
Old Oct 8, 2015, 04:10 PM
EvoM Guru

Well for your sake I hope that's all it is too. It sucks when you have to chase phantom things around to get results that you want.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 12:33 PM
Evolving Member

Well I installed a new pin in order to line up the turbo and the hot side correctly, everything is spot on and I still have no boost...... by 4000 rpm I have like 3 pounds and when I let off the gas I have a tiny bit of blow off and alot of flutter.
So disappointed. ..

When I initially started it up the 02 dump didn't leak... I let the car sit for an hour and then went to move it into a parking spot and now it's leaking at idle.

Mind blown-!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Ude Lose; Oct 10, 2015 at 04:06 PM.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 04:56 PM
EvoM Guru

if its leaking then like I mentioned before wga isn't tight enough. It is opening up and your not building any boost. I know it kinda sucks but it has to be done properly to make sure it stays closed. What spring do you have in your wga? I think I asked but I don't recall your answer

Quick Reply: Ef4 installed....no boost???