Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo IX Cam Angle Sensor

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2015, 06:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo IX Cam Angle Sensor

Hi all,

I need expert opinions.

I have an Evo IX, and have encountered an unfortunate cam angle sensor issue. When I had initially bought the car, I had noticed the exhaust sensor was a bit loose. The car was over fueling a bit, smoked and backfire intermittently. I figured it needed a re-tune as it's running an Autronic ecu.

I tried starting her up a few days ago and she would just swing, but wouldn't start. Upon closer inspection I found that the cam angle sensor was cracked through. Holding it down, the car would start, albeit with a poor idle, stuttering, smoking, over fueling and backfiring. Let it go, and it would die.

I'm having a problem with Mitsubishi South Africa not being able to pick my car up based on the VIN, so they can't confirm the part number, and if what they supply will indeed be the correct sensor.

I have Googled it, but I need confirmation of that number.

I've been told, amongst other things. That there isn't a sensor on the front of the motor but 2 at the rear, which isn't true, because the sensor came off the front, to the side of the head, exhaust side I believe. I've also been told the intake and exhaust sensors are different.

Out of sheer frustration, I went to a local engine importer and was "fortunate" to happen upon a sohc engine. The sensors are marginally different. Both are 3 pin, but the barrel on the sohc sensor is marginally shorter, narrower in diameter and has some indentations on the side.

I took a gamble and purchased it, slapped it on the car, and it started. Problem is that the car is still spluttering, backfiring and over fueling. Which lends itself to the most likely conclusion that the sohc sensor doesn't work.
This is assuming there's nothing else wrong.

So my questions are:
- what is the correct part number.
- should the sohc sensor have worked?
- if so, what else could be wrong?

My thanks for any forthcoming help and information.

Last edited by Junaid K; Oct 29, 2015 at 09:07 AM.