Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo died on me today

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2015, 06:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo died on me today

I was accelerating from a stoplight, shifted to 2nd gear, and the engine just cut out. Looked down, speedo was showing 0 even though I was still moving.

Car has KF 272's, stock block, FP red, and full bolt ons. Was running fine prior to this.

Car cranks but doesn't start. All fuses are good. I checked the engine bay and somehow there isn't a bolt holding the cam position sensor into the housing, so I borrowed a bolt from elsewhere. However it still didn't start.

Pulled the code and got P0335 crankshaft position sensor A circuit malfunction.

Timing belt/water pump/balance shaft belt was replaced 5k miles ago. Aside from pulling the timing cover and checking the crank position sensor does anyone have any other suggestions?
Old Nov 20, 2015, 07:20 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by wvrx
I was accelerating from a stoplight, shifted to 2nd gear, and the engine just cut out. Looked down, speedo was showing 0 even though I was still moving.

Car has KF 272's, stock block, FP red, and full bolt ons. Was running fine prior to this.

Car cranks but doesn't start. All fuses are good. I checked the engine bay and somehow there isn't a bolt holding the cam position sensor into the housing, so I borrowed a bolt from elsewhere. However it still didn't start.

Pulled the code and got P0335 crankshaft position sensor A circuit malfunction.

Timing belt/water pump/balance shaft belt was replaced 5k miles ago. Aside from pulling the timing cover and checking the crank position sensor does anyone have any other suggestions?
I'd start at the timing belt. Sounds like something came loose and ate the crank sensor.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 07:33 PM

Thanks for the suggestion I'll check out the timing belt. Finally got it towed to my garage, fuel pump is not priming. Will report back after I dig into it
Old Nov 20, 2015, 10:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion I'll check out the timing belt. Finally got it towed to my garage, fuel pump is not priming. Will report back after I dig into it
Yikes, I hope its not an expensive fix!
Old Nov 20, 2015, 10:30 PM

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
the fuel pump wont prime without a signal from the crank sensor.
Old Nov 21, 2015, 04:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Front ecu/ relay block under the hood can do this also
Old Nov 21, 2015, 09:07 AM
kaj

Wait, did the car loose all power? If the speedo "0", were all the gauges off?
Old Nov 21, 2015, 09:44 AM

I was in the middle of heavy traffic with music blasting so I didn't pay as much attention...but I do remember the speedo pointed at 0 even though I was going ~20mph, didn't pay attention to the other gauges. However electrical-wise everything seems fine when I try to crank the car over except the tach does not jump and fuel pump does not prime.

I replaced the cam position sensor to no avail. Instant P0335 when I try to crank it over. Pulled the timing belt cover and belt is intact, looks to be in great condition. I'll try to pull the lower cover today and check out the balance shaft belt/crank position sensor.

I paid a buddy to change the timing belt/balance shaft belt/water pump 5k miles ago. I hate to point fingers but could this be related? From reading threads the sensor doesn't usually break without something physically hitting it.

Appreciate the suggestions so far!
Old Nov 21, 2015, 11:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
So you not getting fuel right?
Old Nov 21, 2015, 01:01 PM

Welp looks like the balance shaft belt snapped and took the crank position sensor with it. Weird because it was changed 5k miles ago. Hope it didn't cause the timing belt to skip teeth
Old Nov 21, 2015, 06:00 PM
kaj

sometimes the tensioner pulley gets mounted wrong. i dunno. that belt is an unnecessary evil, IMO, so i left mine off.