Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

2003 Evo 8 and keyless entry with no programmed keys

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2015, 05:07 PM
Evolving Member

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
2003 Evo 8 and keyless entry with no programmed keys

Hey fellas, should be a fairly easy question.

I got my Evo crashed from an auction. It came with no keys (repo), so ended up getting a new set of keys and locks. So I use the key to open the door and for ignition.

I was thinking of getting this: http://www.streettunedmotorsports.co...b_mr587983.htm

But I'm reading about needing programmed keys for the immobilizer, etc. Maybe someone can enlighten me here.

I just want to be able to unlock the doors with the fob. I could then just start the engine by turning the ignition, like I usually do. Since I can start my car fine, I guess the immobilizer is out of the equation somehow.

I got it in 2010 so don't remember why I didn't get programmed keys but it was probably the cost involved. If I need a key, I just get one on eBay and have it cut at a hardware store.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 07:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
Two things at play here

1. Any fob like that one will work. Fob just gets programmed to the car, there's no immobilizer or anything like that in it.

2. Your car doesn't have an immobilizer. If you didn't get your keys programmed to the car when you got them and they're starting the car and it's running fine, there is no immobilizer. Not that there is no immobilizer, all Evos have them, it's just that it's turned off in your tune. I'd recommend fixing that, but that's just me.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 09:50 AM
Evolving Member

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
So without the immobilizer, anyone could shove a screwdriver into the cylinder and start the car?

I'm not too worried about it since I park in a garage, and the car is old heh. Thanks for the clarification.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 05:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problem

Sorry to revive old thread. Figured I would give this a shot. Bought my 06 back in December. Previous owner only had one key and the top was chewed off by his dog so I can't connect it on a keychain. Getting scared of carrying a single key around. I bought an oem remote off eBay and replaced the battery. I CANNOT for the life of my get it to work. I get the car in program mode, and when I click the remote three times... Nothing. Is there any possible solutions or did I just get a **** remote. All evos trims came with remote fobs except RS correct?
Old Apr 18, 2016, 06:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by labuffness
Sorry to revive old thread. Figured I would give this a shot. Bought my 06 back in December. Previous owner only had one key and the top was chewed off by his dog so I can't connect it on a keychain. Getting scared of carrying a single key around. I bought an oem remote off eBay and replaced the battery. I CANNOT for the life of my get it to work. I get the car in program mode, and when I click the remote three times... Nothing. Is there any possible solutions or did I just get a **** remote. All evos trims came with remote fobs except RS correct?

Might be a bad remote if it is used; if new it may not be the correct one. There are about 6 different remotes that all look identical, only one of them works for that model though.
If it makes it into programming mode, the car isn't likely the problem, the remote is.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 07:17 AM
Evolved Member

And yes, all evos came with keyless except the RS
Old Apr 20, 2016, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by superbovine
Might be a bad remote if it is used; if new it may not be the correct one. There are about 6 different remotes that all look identical, only one of them works for that model though.
If it makes it into programming mode, the car isn't likely the problem, the remote is.
I believe I got the right one. After some research, it seems the correct remote has the FCC ID - HYQ12ABA. Perhaps I got a bad one? The only thing I can seem to think is that when I replaced the battery, a little metal clip slid out from under it, and now I am unable to reassemble the remote with the piece back in there. When I put it in, there is too much pressure against the faceplate of the remote, so much so that the buttons won't click. Am I putting that in wrong? Is that small metal piece needed?
Old Apr 20, 2016, 05:34 AM
Evolved Member

Maybe the wrong battery... if that metal clip isn't in there, the remote won't get power from the battery so that's a big problem right there. There should be NO difficulty putting it together, it should go together very easily, no substantial force etc.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by superbovine
Maybe the wrong battery... if that metal clip isn't in there, the remote won't get power from the battery so that's a big problem right there. There should be NO difficulty putting it together, it should go together very easily, no substantial force etc.
Ok so when I have it completely apart I have the battery (CR2032) and the clip. The battery goes positive side down. The clip itself is about 1" long and is slightly bent, I imagine this is to lift the battery towards the contacts. It also has two separate flanges that come out of it and go up as if to touch the contacts. How is this little metal piece supposed to go in? Slip under the battery? Pics? I've never felt so dumb asking these questions but I would like to try before I buy another remote. Thanks
Old Apr 20, 2016, 08:32 AM
Evolved Member

I can't recall what it looks like inside as I haven't cracked one open in a while, I let my parts guy deal with batteries and such. However, the metal tabs that are centered in the middle of the battery need to contact the narrower side of the battery though. If the positive (wider) side of the battery is touching the metal tabs in the center, it is backward and won't work.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 08:45 AM
Evolved Member

This is an aftermarket remote, but the insides are identical to the stock one

2003 Evo 8 and keyless entry with no programmed keys-nwpqbfdl.jpg

the back casing has the battery and that clip that goes around the edge of it, the front with the buttons just has the circuit board that pushed on the battery

the battery should sit flush on the backing of the case. if there are any plastic "risers" under the battery, you've got the wrong remote or you'll need to trim them off
Old Apr 20, 2016, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by llDemonll
This is an aftermarket remote, but the insides are identical to the stock one

the back casing has the battery and that clip that goes around the edge of it, the front with the buttons just has the circuit board that pushed on the battery

the battery should sit flush on the backing of the case. if there are any plastic "risers" under the battery, you've got the wrong remote or you'll need to trim them off

Ok so I got the little metal piece in correct. Tried the same sequence, same problem. Car goes into program mode, but after three clicks of the remote, it still won't work. At this point I suppose it's safe to assume it's the remote.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 04:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by labuffness
Ok so I got the little metal piece in correct. Tried the same sequence, same problem. Car goes into program mode, but after three clicks of the remote, it still won't work. At this point I suppose it's safe to assume it's the remote.
Yeah pretty fair assumption. Other than something unmentioned (like the locks don't work anyway!), that is the only realistic expectation is you got bad or incorrect frequency remote.