Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Is this my turbo coolant line?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2016, 11:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is this my turbo coolant line?

Since I know we all like stories....

Brand new to Evo's. Got my first one a couple weeks ago - salvage but great shape, 82k miles....

Minor stuff to fix...stereo, some fuses, 3rd gear grind (hoping some combo of clutch pedal, bushings and bleeding the line will help)

Anyway, car only ever boosted to 12psi. I was ignorant when I bought it and didn't know any better. But thanks to this fine forum I diagnosed the problem, discovering the "pills" were missing. Previous owner likely had an aftermarket boost controller. Found a brand new hose assembly on Ebay for $30. Got it installed tonight and went for a test drive - BOOST! It's now back to ~19 where it belongs.

But I pull into the driveway and get the unmistakable smell of coolant. Sure enough I hear gurgling when I pop the hood and it's dripping a small stream from the under-carriage.

This hose is the culprit - it's not leaking past the clamp, it appears to be in the actual body of the hose near the clamp...time for a new hose. And what looks like a chore to replace it but fortunately it's probably cheap.

BUT....WHAT hose is this? Turbo coolant line or something else? It also has very little clearance to the air intake thingy that attaches to the turbo but it's doable.

Thanks and love the car and the forums already.

-Casey

Old Jan 29, 2016, 03:39 AM
Evolving Member

yes that's the coolant line for the turbo when your doing it replace both of them it happen to me too good thing i wasn't in the highway when it happen
Old Jan 29, 2016, 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by shavkatjon2000
yes that's the coolant line for the turbo when your doing it replace both of them it happen to me too good thing i wasn't in the highway when it happen
Thanks for the confirmation! The bottom one looks like a pain to get at - easier if you can go from underneath?

Since I just fixed the boost back to stock I started reading horror stories of blown head gaskets, "pushing coolant" etc.

But I'm hoping it was just an old hose, clamps got moved around during vacuum line install etc and it just gave up the ghost.

Car had zero compression issues when I purchased so hopefully it's $15 of hoses and I'm on my way.

-Casey
Old Jan 29, 2016, 04:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I did them from up top. it's a pain in the *** if the clamps are in a weird position. I recommend a small electric 1/4' ratchet, and some silicone hoses. the silicone hoses can be purchased from napa, or any autopart store. I would replace the one on the back of the engine block as well. they run from the throttle body, to the block. I replaced the hoses with regular lines and had to replace them again in a year. the silicone ones seem to be lasting longer.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 06:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I replaced that hose twice. The second time I wrapped it with some heat-shielding material and it is still holding fine after many years.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 09:26 AM
Evolving Member

You can order all 4 of those, you have 2 by the turbo and 2 on the intake manifold side, I replaced all 4 when i did mine, and i only spent around 25-26 dollars ordering them online from a Mitsubishi supplier for the OEM part.

http://oemmitsubishiparts.com/