Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

What would you pay for this evo 8?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2016, 06:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What would you pay for this evo 8?

Just bought it. Thank you all for the help!!

Last edited by Chaoticx2; Feb 4, 2016 at 01:15 PM. Reason: bought
Old Feb 2, 2016, 06:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
ummm all the pictures are of the o2 housing. and an 03 with that imo is maybe around 12-14k ish.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 06:30 PM

error

Originally Posted by Bhsj13
ummm all the pictures are of the o2 housing. and an 03 with that imo is maybe around 12-14k ish.
lol idk why it did that when i tried to upload from my phone.. pics are up now
Old Feb 2, 2016, 06:41 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts
Looks mishandled. Need more pics to really judge.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin.
Looks mishandled. Need more pics to really judge.
Whats the most you'd pay for one in that condition? I'll have to take more pics of it tomorrow.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 07:11 PM
Evolving Member

Hmm is it the compressor that is making noise or the fan? Compressors can be expensive. The AC knob you can get for like 10 bucks and you would need to do the cable and gear mod to keep that from happening again.

I'd say no more than 13k from what you said and the pictures posted.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 07:31 PM

So 11k is a good deal? Maybe fix it up for another 1k to make it nice again. The lowest the guy is willing to go is 11k.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 07:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
clean title? and you mentioned blow off valve, is the car tuned on speed density?(map sensor) if not, you will have some really bad drivabilty issues, it would also feel reallylazy and slow. and ac sound is most likely from the compressor, $150-250. besides that, cosmetic stuff are easy to fix. also, do a compression test( rent it from autozone) really easy test and will ive u a good idea of the engines health
Old Feb 2, 2016, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by roni4g63
clean title? and you mentioned blow off valve, is the car tuned on speed density?(map sensor) if not, you will have some really bad drivabilty issues, it would also feel reallylazy and slow. and ac sound is most likely from the compressor, $150-250. besides that, cosmetic stuff are easy to fix. also, do a compression test( rent it from autozone) really easy test and will ive u a good idea of the engines health
Yea clean title. I don't know. He said he never tunes anything. How much is it for the speed density? And what is the compression supposed to be at?
Old Feb 2, 2016, 10:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
you might need to budget a few k for repairs plus rear bumper change and whatever mods you'll be doing in the future etc
Old Feb 2, 2016, 10:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Speed density tune dosnt cost more than a regular tune, it just uses the MAP sensor to calculate the air in the engine, see, on a stock evo, the MAF (mass airflow sensor) calculates how much air is going into the engine, the ecu then injects fuel into the cylinders according to how much air is going in based on what the MAF sees, the stock diverter valve, redirects the air in the intercooler pipes back into the intake when you release the gas, this helps spool the turbo and also, keeps the calculated air in the system, a blow off valve, will dump the air that the MAF accounted for, and your engine will flud with fuel, this will cause power loss, drivability issues such as studdering and hesitation, also can cause knock due to the car running pig rich. The MAP sensor tune( speed density, which will require atleast a 2-3 bar map sensor) does not see the air before the intake manifold. therefore the blow off valve can dump the air without any drivability issues because it is not calculated by the ECU. besides, you do not need a vent to atmosphere blow off valve on an evo, a simple intake will give you the same sound when you get on and off the throttle.

As far as compression goes, mid 100's across all cylinders, see, the main concern is, they should have very close compression readings, if 2 cylinders hold 50 psi less, there is a problem, but if all cylinders hold 140-150 psi, you should be okay. hope this helps. pm me if you need anything else.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 04:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
It also looks to be lowered - you may need new suspension or bump stops if the owner just did lowering springs on stock absorbers.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 06:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Do you have a couple grand to put into it? Get a compresson check and leakdown test done. Get a good idea of the condition of the engine first. If it checks out, then i'd pull the trigger... I'd probably offer him less then 11K and let him think on it for a while.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 12:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I agree with what everyone said above me, car needs some work but if the price is around 10-11k it is a good deal. Just be prepared with a few k in the bank for unforeseen repairs.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 03:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
so you bought it?

Quick Reply: What would you pay for this evo 8?