Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Lifter tick Evo 9

Search this Thread

Old Feb 29, 2016, 06:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lifter tick Evo 9

I was wondering what lifters I should buy to get rid of my lifter tick. I have a all stock head and didn't know if the GSC zero tick lifters required to run GSC cams or aftermarket cams. I do not plan on getting aftermarket cams... Thanks in advance! & stay JDM
Old Feb 29, 2016, 07:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
You don't need to have GSC cams to run their lifters. Just bleed them, put them in, and you're ready to go.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 11:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Teal2nnr
You don't need to have GSC cams to run their lifters. Just bleed them, put them in, and you're ready to go.

Exactly
Old Mar 1, 2016, 09:41 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Agreed simple lifter maintenence will get rid of the ticking. There of a how-to on here
Old Mar 1, 2016, 04:26 PM
Evolving Member

I guess I'll get these gsc as well, I installed the itm lifters. bled them and stil have ticking.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 11:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DanielM
I guess I'll get these gsc as well, I installed the itm lifters. bled them and stil have ticking.
I was looking at those too so they are no good? I guess I will be going with the GSC's
Old Mar 4, 2016, 08:47 AM
Evolving Member

i have heard really good things about ITM lifters. I bled them Properly till no oil was in. did not do the diesel method just took them out the box bled them with a long nail till no oil was in . put them in, started the car, loud ticking till it settled after holding the rpm for a while. after that i could hear the Same ticking noise. i might just switch to gsc or Jam i guess. and people tell me its normal for this evo 9 to tick like that. i have a vid posted on here.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 09:27 AM
Evolving Member

It's always going to tick somewhat especially with aggressive cams. Just the nature of the beast with hydraulic lifters
Old Mar 4, 2016, 09:52 AM
Evolving Member

I had the 03 evo 8 before with hks 272 cams never heard a tick. now with the evo 9 i have cosworth 272 intake 272 exhaust, and im hearing the tick could it be maybe the evo 9 are more prone to this tick ?
Old Mar 4, 2016, 10:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
The HKS cams have a pretty mild lift. The cossy's are more aggressive, so they could be louder.

Last edited by Teal2nnr; Mar 4, 2016 at 10:45 AM.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 10:46 AM
Evolving Member

Not to mention the 4G63 is a noisy engine already. Big cams and injectors will make up the majority of cylinder head noise
Old Mar 4, 2016, 11:08 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I know they're expensive but the OEM lifters are the only ones I usually recommend. If you can clean yours, I would.

-Emery
The following users liked this post:
migs647 (Mar 4, 2016)
Old Mar 4, 2016, 01:44 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by soderdna
Not to mention the 4G63 is a noisy engine already. Big cams and injectors will make up the majority of cylinder head noise

even though its not a constant tick ? could still be the cams ? sorry for stealing the thread.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 02:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...08367112633402

I pretty much think additives that you put into your engine are either totally unnecessary or just complete rubbish and will do nothing bar maybe giving you expensive smoke from your exhaust. So with this in mind I was looking for results with cynical eyes when I purchased a bottle of the stuff in the link above. I run GSC R2's and whether it's because of them or because of worn lifters I suffered from pretty loud lifter tick, maybe more of a clack than a tick. I had read somewhere about the ProMa products and people had said it worked well in quietening down Mitsubishi lifter tick. It was pretty cheap so I got some and put it in my oil. I decided to make a before and after video (they're on the Facebook link) just so I could see if there was any difference at all. I was pretty amazed at the results, I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't hear it myself. I don't even know where you can purchase the stuff in the US, or if you can, but it does work. Just a note, I have absolutely no connection with the brand or product and pay full retail for it when I purchased it.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 03:13 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DanielM

even though its not a constant tick ? could still be the cams ? sorry for stealing the thread.
No lifter noise would be pretty much all the time and pretty constant since it's mechanical. I mean it might get slightly quieter as the engine warms up but the frequency would be the same

Quick Reply: Lifter tick Evo 9