Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Stolen Recaros. BOLO

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2016, 02:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stolen Recaros. BOLO

The two front Recaro seats were stolen out of my Evo IX MR parked at Rt. 46 Mitsubishi in Totowa, NJ. The car was there over the weekend for service and they informed me today the Recaros have been stolen. I noticed they also stole a Whiteline Roll Center correction suspension kit in my trunk as well. They were the standard alcantara/leather seats with the red RECARO lettering. Any tips appreciated.

***UPDATE 3/9/2016***
Went back to the dealer to take a more careful look at the car. I totally missed that my Defi gauge link control unit had been removed as well as an Apexi Air Flow Controller gauge monitor from my glovebox. Keep your eyes open for them floating around online.

Last edited by PandaIX; Mar 9, 2016 at 06:32 PM.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 05:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
I bet the dealer will not hold any responsibility for it, ask them do they have insurance coverage for the cars kept on their premises, be courteous too don't blame them. Also worth a question to an attorney if they can be held responsible? Are you insured? if yes put it through them and let them sort it out, they might also write it off and you can buy it back as a wreck. The seats aint cheap. You might also be able to source the seats second hand and claim them through the insurance. Also I would assume there may be some damage to your locks so don't forget that too and any other scratches that were put on the car as they broke in.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 05:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Jonno99
I bet the dealer will not hold any responsibility for it, ask them do they have insurance coverage for the cars kept on their premises, be courteous too don't blame them. Also worth a question to an attorney if they can be held responsible?
this. if the car was there for service, their insurance should be covering it not yours
Old Mar 7, 2016, 07:17 PM

The service manager filed a police report. There was no damage to the locks as the car was either left unlocked or someone used the key to get in. The car was left at the dealer to do insurance covered repair work. When I inquired about putting it through my insurance the service manager said leaving the car with them is the same liability as having your car parked at the mall. They are taking zero responsibility upfront. This comes after a frustrating two week ordeal with them playing middle man between them and the insurance company.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 07:43 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The are unfortunately blowing smoke up your you know what. Leaving your car at the dealership is not the same as parking it at the mall. For the simple reason that you left the dealership staff with the keys to your car. And the car did not have any forcible entry. Meaning they are negligent for either not locking your vehicle or for not protecting your keys from misuse.
The following users liked this post:
saxon (Mar 8, 2016)
Old Mar 8, 2016, 06:31 AM
Evolving Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Hell, it could've easily been one of the employees with access to the keys that took the seats, or let a friend borrow the keys for a night and have him take the seats.

It was on their property and in their possession, they are at fault for any damage to your car. Just like if it fell off the lift while they were working on it, they are liable for damages.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 07:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
get a lawyer
Old Mar 8, 2016, 08:53 AM
Evolved Member

Scary stuff. Theft, joy rides at lunch. I've seen it all with dealers and shops.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 08:54 AM

That sucks bro.....keep an eye out on Craigslist as well as ebay.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by John Anthony
Thanks, I've been. That's the main reason I posted this thread. If anyone sees some MR Recaros for sale in the tristate area, give mea heads up. Apparently a set of wheels was taken off a wrx in the same lot in the same timeframe. The seller might have those up as well.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 10:52 AM
Evolving Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Honestly if the dealer is saying that it's all on you and they aren't liable. That's some shady **** right there and they might know something about it. I'd say get a lawyer and try and prove it's their responsibility. I doubt it's the first time something like this has happened there, especially if they're being pretty casual about it.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 11:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I would so lawyer if up if they have the key and no sign of forced entry.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by John Anthony
Thanks, I've been. That's the main reason I posted this thread. If anyone sees some MR Recaros for sale in the tristate area, give mea heads up. Apparently a set of wheels was taken off a wrx in the same lot in the same timeframe. The seller might have those up as well.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 11:33 AM

I'll def. keep an eye out for ya.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 12:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
No sign of forced entry, huh? That's where I want to take my car.

Quick Reply: Stolen Recaros. BOLO