Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Asking for advice from any DIY tuners here, thanks

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2016, 05:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Asking for advice from any DIY tuners here, thanks

Ok, the short story is my Evo 9 ECU is Ecutek locked has a few mods like 3 inch turbo back, slip in filter, walbro and that’s about it. I’d like to do some more mods like cams and injectors but as a DIY for the experience, it’s also on pump and I have no access to E85 for miles

So a week ago I stumbled upon a OEM ECU card for sale cheap and bought it, the guy said it came out of his stock Evo 9 and he replaced it with another non OEM plug and play performance ECU.

So I’ve got this green card sitting in a bubble wrap box and the serial number checks out JE331BA5404A and so what’s my next step?

Yep done some research, so I’ll need to buy a tactrix cable for evo 9 with the fittings from tactrix.com, not sure if they ship to Aus but I’ll check it out, then I’ll need to down load Ecuflash from the same site and I should be ready to go.

Now when I get setup do I simply pull my existing ECU and slide the one I bought in and copy the image of this stock one then start working on that image to take on the mods that I have? I’m not sure how this process works with changing the tune using Ecuflash to reflect a 3inch pipe, drop in unifilter and walbro? I’ve seen all the flash maps with lots of red and green Any places I can read about how to do this would be appreciated, it would be nice to just click on a drop down …3inch exhaust click, dropin filter click and walbro click, and you have your tune all ready but I think it doesn’t work that way hey..

Alternatively I heard there is some sort of unlocker add to Ecuflash. As an alternative can I use this unlocker program to unlock my Ecutek ECU and start modding that with Ecuflash when I get my cams and injectors? Then I’ll keep my other OEM ECU as a spare? Is this an option and where would I get this unlocker program?

I also wonder if I can copy the Ecutek locked ECU image using Ecuflash and load it onto my OEM ECU to save me the time and be free of the Ecutek software lock?

I’m also not sure where Tephra v7 comes into the picture, is that an alternate to Ecuflash? Do you still need Ecuflash when using Tephra v7? Should I buy the Tatrix cable and download Tephra v7 and forget about Ecuflash?

If any experienced tuners can add anything above to help me out and get me going with my strategy that would be much appreciated, thanks in advance. Oh maybe I should be posting in the ECU tuners page but I thought general would get more eyes on this if you know what I mean.

PS, yes I know I can get Etunes but I'd like to have a go at it myself to start off just for the experience
Old Mar 10, 2016, 12:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
Start here: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...-tune-evo.html

After reading to your heart's content, you'll have questions that may be answered here: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...ead-links.html

As you start diving into actual tuning, ensure you have a good wideband gauge hooked up, make one or two small changes, and note how your car behaves after applying the changes. There's also videos on YouTube that show you how to navigate ECUFlash.