Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

P2195 o2 Inactive

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2016, 01:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
P2195 o2 Inactive

So I had my id2000s cleaned and I put them back in and cold start idle was very lean. Like crazy lean 17-18 while warming up. Once warm the cars afrs are fine. During warm cruise afrs are fine. FPR line is re zip tied.

Car was running just fine before the injectors were cleaned.

Then the other day P2195 o2 inactive appeared. The front o2 has 5k on it.

Any thoughts?
Thanks all!
Old Apr 11, 2016, 03:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
I don't see anything unusual about the code if the car is spending a long period of time running lean. The computer expects closed loop soon after vehicle start.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by barneyb
I don't see anything unusual about the code if the car is spending a long period of time running lean. The computer expects closed loop soon after vehicle start.
So would you assume that the sensor is the cause of the lean start, warm up, and then code?
Old Apr 11, 2016, 03:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
No. The sensor could be bad, maybe the heater isn't working causing it to be slow to start or maybe the sensor doesn't work at all. But until it starts working the engine is running off of a fuel map. On the other hand, if the engine is just plain lean then the sensor is telling the truth in not reacting. You need a scanner that can read long and short term fuel trims as well as showing what the sensor is doing. Also, have on screen whether the engine is in open or closed loop. Watch if the afr is fixed when the car goes closed loop.

BTW I think P2195 means sensor stuck lean beyond what the ECU can correct.

Last edited by barneyb; Apr 11, 2016 at 04:04 PM.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by barneyb
No. The sensor could be bad, maybe the heater isn't working causing it to be slow to start or maybe the sensor doesn't work at all. But until it starts working the engine is running off of a fuel map. On the other hand, if the engine is just plain lean then the sensor is telling the truth in not reacting. You need a scanner that can read long and short term fuel trims as well as showing what the sensor is doing. Also, have on screen whether the engine is in open or closed loop. Watch if the afr is fixed when the car goes closed loop.

BTW I think P2195 means sensor stuck lean beyond what the ECU can correct.
Good advice thank you. I will do that and see.
If it is in closed loop and going very lean could that be the sensor? If it's in open loop while warm up is happening it's the tune?

Strange that all was fine for months and then I have the injectors cleaned, reset the battery and now idle is lean.

The code does actually say o2 inactive for the record
Old Apr 12, 2016, 09:08 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Last set of injectors I cleaned, the car ran lean after. The poor spray pattern of the dirty injectors must have been causing poor atomization, and a rich condition. You likely just need to go back to your tuner, and have him play with fueling a bit to get everything dialed back in.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Last set of injectors I cleaned, the car ran lean after. The poor spray pattern of the dirty injectors must have been causing poor atomization, and a rich condition. You likely just need to go back to your tuner, and have him play with fueling a bit to get everything dialed back in.
Thats a great idea. Thank you!
Old Apr 15, 2016, 01:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Hey bud! Found this thead when searching for P2195. LOL!

Did you reset your fuel trims? You may be maxed out on your idle fuel trims and it is causing a lean condition when you start up and the o2 hasn't kicked in yet. The LTFT will be active while the o2 sensor is warming up and not communicating with the ECU.

Also, make sure the o2 sensor wiring isn't laying on the exhaust mani. Have 2 cars here this month with the o2 sensor knocked out. I assume it's the burn marks on the o2 sensor wiring.
Old Apr 15, 2016, 02:23 PM
EvoM Guru

No fuel trims are in use if the front O2 is inactive. That is called open loop. In that scenario the ECU calculates fueling based on entries in the ROM in the fuel table, injector scaling, and MAF scaling or speed density tuning, etc..
Old Apr 15, 2016, 04:33 PM
Evolved Member

No fuel trims are in use if the front O2 is inactive. That is called open loop. In that scenario the ECU calculates fueling based on entries in the ROM in the fuel table, injector scaling, and MAF scaling or speed density tuning, etc..
Can you please prove that?
Old Apr 15, 2016, 04:40 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by 10isace
Can you please prove that?
It's basic fuel injection operation. That's why it's called "open loop". The ECU is determining fueling without feedback from an O2 sensor. Not fuel trims are in use. It's basing fueling on coolant temp, and programmed values in the ROM..

I don't have to "prove" anything. But if I could post a log I would. But I have long term fuel trims disabled in my car. Makes it much easier to make quick fueing adjustments for altitude and major weather changes. Just have to glance at the short term feed back, and make the change. No waiting for long term trims to readjust.
Old Apr 15, 2016, 04:44 PM
Evolved Member

It's basic fuel injection operation. That's why it's called "open loop". The ECU is determining fueling without feedback from an O2 sensor. Not fuel trims are in use. It's basing fueling on coolant temp, and programmed values in the ROM..
Here is the proof that the LTFT is being used when starting up while the front o2 is warming up. This is an VIII and a X. The IX's (like the OP's) do the same.

Last edited by 10isace; Apr 15, 2016 at 04:50 PM. Reason: Fixed Pic
Old Apr 15, 2016, 05:08 PM
EvoM Guru

My car never did that, even with fuel trims on, neither have a few other cars I've touched. Open loop is open loop, car shouldn't be using fuel trims. I don't have those old logs anymore though. Could be because whenever I was actually worried about fueling, I was tuning in open loop (force the ECU into open loop with the load/rpm for open loop table). So I could be wrong.

And I've never done a X.

Regardless, he needs the tune played with a bit.

Last edited by letsgetthisdone; Apr 15, 2016 at 05:20 PM.
Old Apr 15, 2016, 05:56 PM
Evolved Member

My car never did that, even with fuel trims on, neither have a few other cars I've touched. Open loop is open loop, car shouldn't be using fuel trims. I don't have those old logs anymore though. Could be because whenever I was actually worried about fueling, I was tuning in open loop (force the ECU into open loop with the load/rpm for open loop table). So I could be wrong.

And I've never done a X.

Regardless, he needs the tune played with a bit.
Hey bud. I see what you mean, but LTFT should be used while the front o2 is heating up. It's not in OL. The STFT are not participating because there isn't any useful info from the sensor at this point. This may actually work against itself as if the fuel trims are positive (adding fuel) then it will be "polluting" at start up.

BTW, I just asked for proof because I was anxious to see, but away from my laptop to verify. Just wanted to see what you saw. Didn't mean to come off like a ****.
Old Apr 15, 2016, 06:27 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by 10isace
Hey bud. I see what you mean, but LTFT should be used while the front o2 is heating up. It's not in OL. The STFT are not participating because there isn't any useful info from the sensor at this point. This may actually work against itself as if the fuel trims are positive (adding fuel) then it will be "polluting" at start up.

BTW, I just asked for proof because I was anxious to see, but away from my laptop to verify. Just wanted to see what you saw. Didn't mean to come off like a ****.
Now I remember why I said that. OP is complaining of the issue on cold start. That car is in fact in open loop on cold start. Usually until around 100-120*F coolant temp depending on where the tuner put it.

I can see on a hot/warm restart that the LTFT would be used until the O2 sensor heats up though, because like you said, the car isn't in OL, it's waiting on the front O2. I found some other stuff on the internet indicating this, I just have never used trims in cars I've played with. Just put it in open loop and watch the wideband.

So, on cold start, which is open loop, the OP's car is lean, which makes warm up take longer, the car stays in OL longer, and it throws a code. OP needs to just see his tuner for some adjustment.

No hard feelings, we were talking about too different start up strategies (cold vs warm/hot), and I learned something.

Quick Reply: P2195 o2 Inactive