Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Temp Guage going up and down? What's causing it?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2016, 06:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Temp Guage going up and down? What's causing it?

Ive been having an issue lately. My coolant temp guage is usually at normal temp but often goes up to midway and 3/4 point. It went up to H just one time but i shut the car off as soon as i saw that, and after i started it back up the temp went down. The weather has been getting a little bit hotter lately (80-85 degrees), dont know if that would affect anything. Both fans seem to work. Running 50/50 coolant. I logged the coolant temp on evoscan and it showed me 195-210 degrees. But that shouldn't be enough to move the needle that much should it?

Im going to change out the thermostat in a few days, see if that changes anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 12:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
How's your coolant level? Try bleeding the cooling system. Maybe you have an air bubble somewhere.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 05:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Use a temp gun to see what actual temps are. Could be low on coolant, air in the system, bad temp sensor, or something else.

Next would be a bad ground. Make sure you have the IM to firewall ground. Also doesn't hurt to add more.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 06:32 AM
Evolving Member

Coolant levels are fine. First thing I did after I noticed the issue was to take off the radiator cap and get all the air bubbles out. There were 2-3 air bubbles. But after I did that it seems like the issue only got worse. Now instead of the needle moving pretty fast it does the same thing but slower (goes up slowly, then drops slowly too). I didn't run the heater when getting air out of the system, probably should've done that.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 10:21 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
try cleaning the contacts on the temp sensor. There are two of them on the thermostat, one for the ecu, one for the gauge.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 11:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
The Evo has a very robust cooling system; remove a fan and it still works, run a half size radiator and it still works. I heard of a guy running with no fans. So, if the system is full of coolant you need to think outside of the usual.

If you haven't changed coolant recently there shouldn't be any bubbles in the system. Also, when purging the cooling system it doesn't matter whether the heater is on or not - there is no valve. If the engine is running coolant is flowing through the heater.

BTW, the gauge is not linear. It reads normal over a wide range of temperatures. If Evoscan continues to exhibit no abnormal temperatures suspect the intake manifold to firewall ground. If the reservoir suddenly fills to overflowing you have a blown head gasket.

Last edited by barneyb; Jun 2, 2016 at 11:52 AM.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 11:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Reconnect your ground wire from the chassis to the engine.
The following users liked this post:
november (Jul 16, 2018)
Old Jun 2, 2016, 05:31 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for all the help guys! Issue was resolved! Turns out the issue was that the ground wire from the intake manifold to firewall was a little loose. Tightened it down, took it for a 5 minute drive, and the temp didn't bounce at all! Took an Evoscan log of my brothers Evo just to be safe and his showed coolant temps of 195-206F. Thanks again!
The following users liked this post:
november (Jul 16, 2018)
Old Jul 16, 2018, 09:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SWOLN
Reconnect your ground wire from the chassis to the engine.
Originally Posted by Evo47
Thanks for all the help guys! Issue was resolved! Turns out the issue was that the ground wire from the intake manifold to firewall was a little loose. Tightened it down, took it for a 5 minute drive, and the temp didn't bounce at all! Took an Evoscan log of my brothers Evo just to be safe and his showed coolant temps of 195-206F. Thanks again!

This solved it for me too. Thanks for posting this.

What's this ground for btw? Temp sensor to that control the fan?
Old Jul 16, 2018, 10:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ive had this same exact issue and it was in fact the ground wire. Be sure to check you wires too, mine started systematically melting wires one by one. Mine started with the exhaust cam angle sensor wire by the thermostat.