Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

** Oil Leak** Check this out, Strange area (FOUND WITH PICS)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2016, 06:43 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
** Oil Leak** (FOUND WITH PICS) (2nd leak same area) 7/28/2016

*** Oil leak found*** I have a had an oil leak since i bought my evo. I cleaned up the oil that has been leaking from the top of my engine all the way down the back of the engine, near the head gasket, under the timing cover soaking the lower oil pump cover, and eventually down to the oil filter housing. I would get about 6-10 drips a night.

Culprit is the small aluminum drain tube from the spark galley to the outside of the valve cover. * See picture. Now here is the funny part, its not coming from inside the tube like it is cracked, its coming from (AROUND) the tube. I ended up removing the valve cover and taking out the tube. It is not cracked, so i added permatex Right Stuff to both ends to seal it. Lets see if this works. This leak was able to be seen with the engine running in 15 seconds. So it was pretty interesting.

Has anyone seen this before?

Last edited by EVOEvolved; Jul 28, 2016 at 06:57 PM.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 08:05 PM
Evolving Member

No one has ever had this issue?
Old Jul 25, 2016, 09:05 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,547 Likes on 1,326 Posts
I haven't seen it before.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 06:38 AM
Evolving Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
I think I have the same issue, I recently cleaned the engine bay to get an idea from where the oil is coming from. I'll go look there......my first thought was the valve cover gasket leaking......
Old Jul 26, 2016, 10:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
Hmm... Maybe that's where my leak is. I always figured it was the PCV hose or something. Good find.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 04:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe i have this leak, let us know if permatex stuff do the job
Old Jul 28, 2016, 02:02 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by nadevo
I believe i have this leak, let us know if permatex stuff do the job
It worked, leak is no longer present. I used Permatex "Right Stuff"
Old Jul 28, 2016, 06:59 PM
Evolving Member

Okay so one leak has been found, the other is is the same exact area, if you look to the left of the injector on on cylinder #1, there si a little (yellow/brown oil puddle) I can't seem to find where it is coming from. Oil cap is new, valve cover gasket is new, and re-torqued along with permatex used around cam caps etc.

By any chance are there is area that oil can come out from milling, I.E NPT fitting around that area?

Old Jul 29, 2016, 10:32 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,547 Likes on 1,326 Posts
@heel2toe
Old Jul 30, 2016, 08:34 AM
Evolving Member

I pulled the intake manifold off the car last night. I really hate knowing the entire back of my block was soaked in oil. It is all cleaned now and I am about to put everything back together. I also decided to go out and buy engine dye, UV light pen, and the yellow glasses to help find the leak quicker.

I may be leaning towards the HG in the back where the oil returns to the block area since the head's hole is about twice as large as the block's oil return hole. I guess it is a common area.

I will post more pictures later.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 11:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I hope it's not your HG. You got the right idea using dye. You should find the leak fast now.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 07:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Hey thanks for the heads up bud. I saw this thread the other day and meant to comment on it.

Hey OP how much oil were you losing from this leak?

I may pull my vc and just seal around that area for good measure but Im skeptical that this is my issue just because it seems like Im loosing way too much oil for it so be from that.

I started this thread years ago and have numerous pics throughout it: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...fold-help.html

The one picture that makes me think this could be related is right here
Name:  20130720_122641_zps90bc065c.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  162.5 KB
Old Aug 2, 2016, 01:13 PM
Evolved Member

I just pulled back up this thread and saw your most recent post and see you are still losing oil and suspect its the HG. I'd be curious as to what you find with that. I did the dye a couple years ago and came up with nothing bc there was oil everywhere haha! I struggled to pinpoint the actual source. Maybe I suck but my oil leak has literally kept me up at night for years now.

FWIW I don't thing its your HG. Although I can't offer any feedback other than that I just don't think it's your HG. I pulled my head last season (well maybe 2 years ago I cant remember) seems like Im always pulling the thing apart and Im still losing oil.

Im curious though how much oil are you losing? Drips on the ground? Noticeable on the dipstick?
Old Aug 2, 2016, 01:54 PM
Evolving Member

I ended up looking. it appear it is the Alternator stud at the bottom, it connect into the side of the block and through the oil pump case. It looks like a little oil is coming out of there. Main leak was at the top pictured.

pic will be added later
Old Aug 2, 2016, 02:10 PM
Evolved Member

Huh interesting. Gotta wonder if the stud goes into an oil galley or if its a false positive so to speak. Curious what your pictures show...

Also, how much oil are/ were you losing prior to fixing your leak in the vc?

Quick Reply: ** Oil Leak** Check this out, Strange area (FOUND WITH PICS)