Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

ARP Head Stud install - need to replace gasket??

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2016, 12:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ARP Head Stud install - need to replace gasket??

Hi all, noob DIYer here,

I'll be taking off the valve cover over the weekend to install a set of ARP Head studs. Question is; do I need to replace the whole valve cover gasket when putting back the valve cover? or will some RTV Copper Sealant be sufficient to use with the same gasket?
http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/onl...ecommendations

Thanks heaps!
Old Jul 28, 2016, 12:39 AM
Evolving Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
I'm a firm believer in replacing the gasket if you have it off anyway, they're cheap and it's peace of mind. I wouldn't recommend it but you could reuse it.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 01:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you take off the head replace the gasket. It's a reason you're installing arp's in the first place.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 06:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by kqodprez
If you take off the head replace the gasket. It's a reason you're installing arp's in the first place.
He said that he's removing the valve cover, not the head. I wouldn't worry about the valve cover gasket as long as it's not stretched or torn.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 07:42 AM
Evolving Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Are you going to be doing the head studs the 1by 1 methed just out of curiosity I want to do headstuds also and I keep hearing mixed reactions to doing it this way some people say to pull the head off others say you can do each stud one at a time
Old Jul 28, 2016, 10:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If the gasket looks ok and still keeps oil in, re-use it. I've done it many times never had a problem, just make sure it seals upon tightening down the valve cover.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 10:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Evo_Goodness
Are you going to be doing the head studs the 1by 1 methed just out of curiosity I want to do headstuds also and I keep hearing mixed reactions to doing it this way some people say to pull the head off others say you can do each stud one at a time
I have been running ARP Head Studs, that were changed by myself 1x1 around 7 months ago. Still no issues, running e85 daily on FP Green with 30psi.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 10:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
I've had my vc off numerous times and in all honesty I've replaced it many times as well as thrown on the old one and really never had any issues either way. Its a rubber gasket not something that crushes once and is a goner so unless its really brittle I'd imagine its fine. I also add a lil rtv over the half moons as well as on the corners. Doesnt take much.

As far as doing the headstuds 1x1 is concerned I personally wouldnt. Many people have gotten away with it but I've also read stories of it seeping oil. But on another note I also question why you are doing headstuds in the first place? It never really made that much sense to me. If you plan to make big power youll prob have the head off the car anyway so that would be a good time to do them. However for a basic bolt on evo the stock headbolts are fine assuming the tune is in check so why compromise the factory seal? If you starting lifting then head then pull it and put in the studs. but its sorta the if it aint broke dont fix it approach and feel like too many people attempt to do the 1x1 when they never had an issue in the past and then end up making an issue in which they then need to pull the head to replace the gasket at that point. So I'd rather pull the head and do it proper or leave it alone.

But if you do want to roll the dice make sure your car is completely cooled down prior to working; that'll give you the best chance of it remaining sealed.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Not needed, replace only if it is dry rotted

Current setup.
gt3076r. Ran 11.5 @113mph. 28-29psi. Stock head studs for the win.(Stock longblock too..who needs arp headstuds )
Old Jul 30, 2016, 06:07 PM
Evolving Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
i dont do anything with the valve cover gasket, just reuse it as is. i dont use any extra sealant.

i havent done the 1x1 head stud thing but i definitely wouldnt be afraid to do it. I would do it after letting the car sit overnight, and i would drain the coolant before doing it. I am on the adventurous side when it comes to stuff like this though.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 08:51 PM

Just did the install, relatively easy install just had to take numerous precautionary steps during the install (drain oil and coolant a day before, blow hole with compressed air before installing new studs).

Took a look at the VC gasket and it's still very rubbery so decided to re-use with permatex Ultra Grey sealant.

So far all good, ran the car all day and no leaks yet.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 09:11 PM
Evolving Member

This will be my next mod in a few weeks hoping to just do it the 1x1 method did you have a certain order you went in
Old Jul 30, 2016, 09:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
use the oem torque sequence. should be start at center and work your way outward.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 11:35 PM

Yup used the oem sequence of 'installation', not removal. Cause I think the manual says for removing the bolts, it's outside in. But when you install it's inside out. So for the 1x1 method, I did it in the inside out sequence.

This is the sequence I used:
8, 6, 1, 3, 9,
10, 4, 2, 5, 7
Old Jul 31, 2016, 01:04 AM
Evolving Member

Yup this is the next one for me my ARP headstuds are on the way

Quick Reply: ARP Head Stud install - need to replace gasket??