Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Fair price for an Evo IX MR nowadays?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2016, 06:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fair price for an Evo IX MR nowadays?

So as of now, what is a fair price for an evo IX. I am looking at a GG 06 Evo 9 MR, been stock its whole life with two owners and 78,000 on the clock. Car is in good condition. Maybe a few rock chips here and there. Thanks for the input!

Old Sep 17, 2016, 07:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts
its hard to give you a range because it appears that prices are all over the place. Does the vehicle have any accidents? Are you buying this from a private seller or major dealership or some private mom and pop place? Reason I ask is from what I wrote below.

I been looking for the last month and there are certain dealerships out there (mom and pop and private ones) seem to be flooding autotrader and cars.com with Evos they pick up and try to resell for large profit because of the demand for them. The odd thing is that they do not seem to be selling.

I would look up KBB and NADA price on them. Color you are happy with is something also to consider.

Last edited by Astro_Train; Sep 17, 2016 at 07:28 PM.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 07:26 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
KBB shows that particular EvO between 21-22K. But as noted, The EvO does have some perceived value beyond the quote
Old Sep 17, 2016, 07:30 PM

It has a clean history and it's from a private seller. I have seen alot of ridiculously priced evo 9's like you mentioned. NADA, kelly bluebook all say a decent Evo 9 MR is 19K-ish. I like cargurus.com because they give you the value compared to similar cars on the market. They say 23k. The one I might buy he'll let it go for 19K. It's pretty clean and he's an older gentlemen.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 07:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evoul18
It has a clean history and it's from a private seller. I have seen alot of ridiculously priced evo 9's like you mentioned. NADA, kelly bluebook all say a decent Evo 9 MR is 19K-ish. I like cargurus.com because they give you the value compared to similar cars on the market. They say 23k. The one I might buy he'll let it go for 19K. It's pretty clean and he's an older gentlemen.
totally agree.. some people out there are asking stupid prices for them. I understand among enthusiasts the value of a rarer Evo (9 RS for example), but the bottom line is that most folks can only get loans for these cars for what they are worth on paper. I think you have a fair deal there at 19k. Especially if the car is clean. I would rather deal with a private owner any day over ANY dealer. Good luck.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 09:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the truth is the cars that sell at reasonable prices are the ones where the owner needs to sell. You will find a lot of mint vehicles where the owner is not under the gun to sell and that is where you find over the top prices.

Your best bet is always to find out WHY the seller is selling. This will indirectly tell you how much leverage you have. As an example I saw a mint GG Evo IX in NY and the guy wanted 28K for low mileage, all stock. After talking with the guy I find out he wasn't in a rush to sell and in his mind he would either wait to get 28K or just hold onto it as he thought it would rise in value.

For me I would need to ship the car to CA and have to deal with the rust which ended up a no go for me. Know in your mind what your # is and stick to it. The EVO's value is only what the buyer is willing to pay, not what the seller "imagines" the value to be.

What will help you as a buyer is cash and being able to do a deal quickly. Sometimes those two things are enough to sway a seller. Having them jump through hoops with a bank isn't a deal killer but it's annoying.

All that being said, I personally think $28k is the upper limit for a perfect car. Even if the vehicle is low mileage you still have to do all the maintenance which can cost upwards of $2k if you do literally everything! Not to mention you have to price in for a 5 speed swap if the 6 speed has been under a lot of power. You can get a new STI w/ nav for ~$35k from Heuberger Subaru in CO. They do $1000 below invoice pricing.

Last edited by Ameliorate; Sep 18, 2016 at 09:09 AM.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 09:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ameliorate
the truth is the cars that sell at reasonable prices are the ones where the owner needs to sell. You will find a lot of mint vehicles where the owner is not under the gun to sell and that is where you find over the top prices.

Your best bet is always to find out WHY the seller is selling. This will indirectly tell you how much leverage you have. As an example I saw a mint GG Evo IX in NY and the guy wanted 28K for low mileage, all stock. After talking with the guy I find out he wasn't in a rush to sell and in his mind he would either wait to get 28K or just hold onto it as he thought it would rise in value.

For me I would need to ship the car to CA and have to deal with the rust which ended up a no go for me. Know in your mind what your # is and stick to it. The EVO's value is only what the buyer is willing to pay, not what the seller "imagines" the value to be.

What will help you as a buyer is cash and being able to do a deal quickly. Sometimes those two things are enough to sway a seller. Having them jump through hoops with a bank isn't a deal killer but it's annoying.

All that being said, I personally think $28k is the upper limit for a perfect car. Even if the vehicle is low mileage you still have to do all the maintenance which can cost upwards of $2k if you do literally everything! Not to mention you have to price in for a 5 speed swap if the 6 speed has been under a lot of power. You can get a new STI w/ nav for ~$35k from Heuberger Subaru in CO. They do $1000 below invoice pricing.
everything made perfect sense until you threw in the Subaru monkey wrench comment into it

to any person seeking a CT9A Evo in mint condition, a Subie is probly the last thing on their "other cars to consider"

why would anyone want an STi with that crap engine... I've had two of them.. until they put a new motor in the STi forget it.

I agree that on the upper price you said though, but to me $24k is on the high end I would pay for a mint Evo... say under 70k miles, no accidents, no extensive mods and garaged kept with no rust. As close to stock Evo to me is worth more than any modded car no matter how much money the current owner has put into it... that is why I do not get cars out there for sale that are heavily modded for upper 20s to low 30s prices.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 10:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
other than the weak ej257 motor the sti is very comparable to the 2006 EVO. They really dialed up the suspension and it has a quicker steering ratio. Before I bought my EVO I was actually strongly considering the 2017 STI. It helped me when negotiating with sellers because in the back of my mind I KNEW I had an alternative if I couldn't find a reasonably priced EVO.

I threw it in there to justify why paying any more than $28K for a 10+ year old car doesn't make sense. I think the reason the Supra has risen in value is because there really isn't a comparable car you can buy off the lot for less than 100K
Old Sep 18, 2016, 10:42 AM
Evolving Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Ameliorate
other than the weak ej257 motor the sti is very comparable to the 2006 EVO. They really dialed up the suspension and it has a quicker steering ratio. Before I bought my EVO I was actually strongly considering the 2017 STI. It helped me when negotiating with sellers because in the back of my mind I KNEW I had an alternative if I couldn't find a reasonably priced EVO.

I threw it in there to justify why paying any more than $28K for a 10+ year old car doesn't make sense. I think the reason the Supra has risen in value is because there really isn't a comparable car you can buy off the lot for less than 100K
There was ~8000 Evo IX's sold in NA. Thats opposed to about 4000 turbo non-auto Supra's. There just really aren't many left around and it's a more desireable icon, like an R34 Skyline GTR. Plenty of cars you can fetch under 100 grand that compare to a stock MK4 Supra TT. Corvettes, new Camaros/Mustangs, list gets pretty extenstive.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 03:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
As stated before, it's not really what should I pay for a IX, it's more about is the next car you look at worth what the owner is asking. Let's say you see one for 26k and theres a couple of things wrong with it and then you see another for 29k and it's low K's and original, is that worth 3k to you? But on here you think you shouldn't be paying more then 28k. These cars are for thrills so how much are you prepared to pay for thrills
Old Sep 18, 2016, 04:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jonno99
As stated before, it's not really what should I pay for a IX, it's more about is the next car you look at worth what the owner is asking. Let's say you see one for 26k and theres a couple of things wrong with it and then you see another for 29k and it's low K's and original, is that worth 3k to you? But on here you think you shouldn't be paying more then 28k. These cars are for thrills so how much are you prepared to pay for thrills
unfortunately regardless of how you view that these cars are for frills... money isn't something that people just want to toss out if they don't have to. If that was the case you wouldn't see so many of them for sale that are NOT selling. There are a couple of really clean cars for sale here on the forum and they aren't selling and I think they are decently priced. Evos are worth alot to folks on this forum but don't mean poop to 99% of the population.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 02:24 PM

Good points, thanks all. I am going to check out the aforementioned car Wednesday so hopefully it checks out and will by my fourth evo. I think 19K is a pretty good price for what he's got...based on the pictures.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 03:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
^ extremely good. if it's truly as you mentioned in the OP, I'd pay 25k for it
Old Sep 19, 2016, 05:12 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
+1

Seems like it's already been for sale for too long. Better get there first before anyone else does.

-pal215
Old Sep 19, 2016, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by kyoo

Okay cool, it has a bit more use than I previously mentioned. Has some curb rash on right two rims and brembos are faded..but guess I can't be too picky for a 10 year old car.

Quick Reply: Fair price for an Evo IX MR nowadays?