Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo 8 Overheating While Driving, Temp Goes Up Then Down

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2016, 02:22 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Evo 8 Overheating While Driving, Temp Goes Up Then Down

Hey all.

New Evo 8 owner here.

A little background on my car.
Water pump was done by the previous owner at 110k, the car now has 150k. It was a single owner and owned by the wife of a CHP officer.

So my issue is as follows. A week back I found my car getting hot. Very hot.
The temp increases randomly, it will happen even at low RPM with load load (constant freeway cruising throttle) on the freeway, when I pull up to a light, etc.

Stuff I've replaced:

I replaced the serpentine/accessory belt as I thought that the belt could be slipping and stopping water pump flow.
Did not fix the issue.

I then replaced the thermostat with an OE thermostat. Old one was absolutely completely shot.
I'm still having the issue.

I'm now looking at replacing the rad at this point..

Can anyone give me any insight? Does this simply sound like air in the system?
also, every time i check my coolant when the car is cool, the rad is never filled up to the brim so I add distilled water. The overflow tank is more full than it previously was.
Whenever I open the rad cap, it makes a "tssssss"

Thanks in advance.

Compression test had all 4 cylinders within 5 PSI of each other.

Last edited by astral; Sep 19, 2016 at 02:28 PM.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 02:46 PM
Evolving Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Are your rad fans not coming on sometimes? It's something worth checking for. Also a rad upgrade, even if it doesn't solve the problem, is always a good move.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Ferp
Are your rad fans not coming on sometimes? It's something worth checking for. Also a rad upgrade, even if it doesn't solve the problem, is always a good move.
You know, I thought this initially, but that wouldn't explain overheating on the freeway where the fans basically do nothing.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 04:56 PM
Evolving Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Maybe head gasket if I had to put my finger on it I know on subarus that's the first sign of a head gasket crapping out on them which seems to happen a lot ask me how I know lol
Old Sep 19, 2016, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Evo_Goodness
Maybe head gasket if I had to put my finger on it I know on subarus that's the first sign of a head gasket crapping out on them which seems to happen a lot ask me how I know lol
"That's the first sign of a head gasket crapping out"
What sign in particular are you referring to?

I've got no symptoms of head gasket failure, such as tail pipe coolant burn off, frothiness in the oil/coolant reservoirs and caps. As stated in the OP, compression test results are within 5 psi of each other.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 05:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
If the ground wire between the intake manifold and firewall becomes open (time and corrosion will do it) the dash temperature gauge goes nuts. So, that's the first thing I would check. Also, the fix costs zero dollars. Another thing you can do, if you have the equipment, is check the coolant temperature by way of a scanner. The ECU uses a different temperature sensor. If they don't both read hot it is probably a gauge problem.

Beyond that I agree with the above, it sounds like a head gasket failure.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by barneyb
If the ground wire between the intake manifold and firewall becomes open (time and corrosion will do it) the dash temperature gauge goes nuts. So, that's the first thing I would check. Also, the fix costs zero dollars. Another thing you can do, if you have the equipment, is check the coolant temperature by way of a scanner. The ECU uses a different temperature sensor. If they don't both read hot it is probably a gauge problem.

Beyond that I agree with the above, it sounds like a head gasket failure.
Eh yeah I'm actually starting to suspect head gasket.

I bled the cooling system again today, and there was a **** ton of air in the system. The unfortunate thing was... the air never stopped. Even after an hour of bleeding, the air bubbles wouldn't stop pouring over into my funnel.

Old Sep 19, 2016, 09:36 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Sounds like air in the system. Keep burping it.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by razorlab
Sounds like air in the system. Keep burping it.
I called it a night, but I'll get back to burping it for another hour or two tomorrow, and see how it goes. I'll definitely report back.

Will get a second compression/leakdown test as well as a head gasket test later this week for further diagnosis.

Another bit of information to add is that I am running straight distilled water with redline water wetter.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 09:41 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Yea usually if the temp gauge bounces around like that is because an air pocket hits the temp sensor
Old Sep 19, 2016, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by razorlab
Yea usually if the temp gauge bounces around like that is because an air pocket hits the temp sensor
Thanks. The thing that confuses me is the fact that I burped/bled the system for about an hour, with lots of idle time, as well as hard revs and heater on and off and the air wouldn't stop coming out. I guess we'll see tomorrow.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 10:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
It seems like I'm always doing something that includes having to drain the radiator. When time to fill I pour the radiator full, idle the engine, the coolant gradually climbs up the fill funnel until suddenly it is gone. The thermostat has opened allowing the air to come out. At that point I fill and cap. Done. There is no air remaining in the cooling system. Bubbling for an hour is not normal.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by barneyb
It seems like I'm always doing something that includes having to drain the radiator. When time to fill I pour the radiator full, idle the engine, the coolant gradually climbs up the fill funnel until suddenly it is gone. The thermostat has opened allowing the air to come out. At that point I fill and cap. Done. There is no air remaining in the cooling system. Bubbling for an hour is not normal.
So I'm guessing you're in the "it's the head gasket" camp here?
Old Sep 20, 2016, 05:16 AM
Evolving Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Is the side tank reservoir bubbling that's a good sign of head gasket failure just because the compression check was all within 5 psi doesn't mean that the head gasket isn't failing
Old Sep 20, 2016, 06:16 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Post 30 maybe?

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...r-boost-2.html

Part #1308A012

Quick Reply: Evo 8 Overheating While Driving, Temp Goes Up Then Down