Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Noise around transmission

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2016, 08:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Noise around transmission

Hi all,

There's this noise coming from my transmission. If you take a look at the video: https://*******/6c1Q, the vibrating noise isn't the engine, but coming from the transmission. While in the car, when I press on the clutch (disengaging it), the noise will go away. It sounds like something is wobbling in there, maybe some bad bearing, or bushing(?). Has anyone had this issue before?

What would be a recommended solution to fix this?

Last edited by rm4g3d0n; Sep 25, 2016 at 09:02 PM.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 06:28 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Question, Is this an aftermarket clutch? Could be just simple clutch rattle. Mine does that running an ACT clutch. Depress the clutch pedal & the rattle goes away

Heres a quote direct from ACT on the topic:

Originally Posted by ACTman
It seems that what most of you are describing is gear rattle and not associated with the TOB. The reason for gear rattle noise from the transmission is that the torsional vibrations of the engine are very strong on a turbo 4 cyl engine and is worse with power increases or other modifications. Normally the clutch disc springs and a heavy flywheel help to damp out most of these vibrations. The ways to test and rule out TOB issues are explained with the following questions:
1. Does the noise get worse after the car has been driven or on a warmer day? - Gear noise gets worse as the oil gets warm and thins-
2. Does the noise go away when the clutch is disengaged (pedal most of the way down)? - When the clutch is disengaged, the input shaft stops spinning, but the TOB still does -
3. Does it occur at idle in neutral (clutch engaged - pedal up) and change when the air conditioning is turned on? - The load change from the air conditioning usually changes the gear rattle noise, but wouldn't have any affect on TOB noise -
4. Does the noise remain consistent when push on the clutch pedal a small amount? - If there is a TOB issue, a small load applied to the pedal (and the TOB) should change the noise significantly -

If you answer yes to these, then the TOB is not the problem. Most likely you have normal gear noise. There may still be a chance you have a transmission problem, but that depends on the noise. I hope that helps!
Old Sep 27, 2016, 11:15 AM
Evolving Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
My clutch sounds the exact same way it's a competition stage 2 clutch I've just learned to ignore it mine also goes away once in gear and driving or when I push the clutch in.
From what I have gathered it is a pretty common sound