Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Building Evo 8 Block

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2016, 09:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Building Evo 8 Block

So I currently have a stock Evo 8 block in my car right now. I found an Evo 8 block and crankshaft for sale and I'm debating on purchasing it. What would you folks recommend for pistons/connecting rods, oil pump, oil pan, and whatever else I may need? If you can throw in cost in either USD or CND I would appreciate that as well. My goal would be a reliable, daily driveable 400-500 whp. Currently making just shy of 330 whp. Thanks.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 11:21 PM
Evolving Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
You could reliably do 400whp on a stock block all day long my buddy has been at 435whp for the last 3 years with an FP green and headstuds and cams with no issues. And I bet he could go further I have seen many people tip 480s just fine he would if he could but we don't have a lot of E85 here in Oregon
Old Sep 26, 2016, 03:28 PM
Evolving Member

I've read the multiple success stories of people driving around on stock blocks at 400+whp reliably but I live in an extreme climate that is very unfriendly on vehicles driven all year and motors seem to need to work that much harder and be maintained that much more to really be reliable here. I unfortuantely had to sell my daily driver/winter beater as I wanted to keep my Evo whilst in University. So 400+ wheel might be great in Cali, Oregon, or Washington but I doubt I'd see the same success in Northen Alberta where I see -40 degrees celsius a couple times a year.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 04:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
I live in winnipeg so i can relate to the climate. In my opinion, if you can't get a winter car, keep your stock bottom end for now. Get an FP red and make 400+ on pump and leave it there until you finish uni. Building a bottom end right now is very expensive, especially with the conversion. Plus forged parts tend not to like the climate that our winters can bring (speaking generally of course). I was running 400whp on a stock bottom end for a long time and never had any issues.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 05:32 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Teal2nnr
I live in winnipeg so i can relate to the climate. In my opinion, if you can't get a winter car, keep your stock bottom end for now. Get an FP red and make 400+ on pump and leave it there until you finish uni. Building a bottom end right now is very expensive, especially with the conversion. Plus forged parts tend not to like the climate that our winters can bring (speaking generally of course). I was running 400whp on a stock bottom end for a long time and never had any issues.
Sometimes reality sucks I guess. This is probably the most economical decision honestly. I guess I'll just keep the serious build for the future. Thanks for the input, appreciate it.