Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Weird bogging issue when hard shifting into 3rd?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2016, 06:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts
I was thinking earlier.. Couldn't remember if when it first happened, which DV i was actually in fact using. So went and looked at pictures and I did not install the turbosmart dual port until AFTER it had happened the first time... So it happened with the forge dv as well (the video in OP)

So I guess i can rule that out.

It sounds like a plug issue, does it not? I'm due for new plugs in the next 2-3 weeks. I'm going to gap them a little bit tighter. Probably right at .20. Instead of the .24-.25 i believe i had gapped them at last time.

** the previous owner had this spoolin up cop kit installed. Idk how old it is. but could that be a possible culprit?

Last edited by Bmurray; Oct 12, 2016 at 06:51 PM.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 08:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Well, why don't you try putting on the OEM DV and see what happens with that? No reason the Forge couldn't also crap out.

And yeah I would certainly try new plugs on the car. You can also try gapping them down a smidge but if you have a good ignition like you do no reason you cant get away with .025. That's what I run and have no issues unless my plugs get old. I know different plugs bc I have an VIII but same concept.

The strange thing is that if your plugs were bad I'd think it would also do it with a 3rd gear pull not just a quick 2-3 shift. That's why Im thinking there might be something up with the DV since it would have to quickly open and then close again so its potentially getting stuck with that quick action.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 08:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by heel2toe
Well, why don't you try putting on the OEM DV and see what happens with that? No reason the Forge couldn't also crap out.

And yeah I would certainly try new plugs on the car. You can also try gapping them down a smidge but if you have a good ignition like you do no reason you cant get away with .025. That's what I run and have no issues unless my plugs get old. I know different plugs bc I have an VIII but same concept.

The strange thing is that if your plugs were bad I'd think it would also do it with a 3rd gear pull not just a quick 2-3 shift. That's why Im thinking there might be something up with the DV since it would have to quickly open and then close again so its potentially getting stuck with that quick action.
Okay. Thanks. Is the oem dv going to be okay holding 29psi on a FP red?
Old Oct 13, 2016, 08:51 AM
Evolved Member

No its not going to hold 29# it will crack open early and bleed off some pressure. The car will probably still hit close to the same pressure but it'll be blowing hotter air so the car might not love that.

Do you have a lower boost tune? And if so does the car also bog in the lower boost tune? I guess what Im getting at is that you should throw in a known working DV to try and eliminate some variables.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 07:55 PM
Evolved Member

No its not going to hold 29# it will crack open early and bleed off some pressure. The car will probably still hit close to the same pressure but it'll be blowing hotter air so the car might not love that.

Do you have a lower boost tune? And if so does the car also bog in the lower boost tune? I guess what Im getting at is that you should throw in a known working DV to try and eliminate some variables.
I don't have a lower boost tune actually. I'm on ecu controlled boost with 2 maps for 93 octane and e85. I really am not thinking it's the DV. i find it hard to believe that 2 DVs would be bad.

I pulled the plugs tonight and took some pics.. didn't think they'd look this bad already but could that be causing the issue? lol

Name:  4E7B2178-EE4B-49CB-BB79-0B4EADE8E637_zpsc2t87wss.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  234.2 KB
Old Oct 13, 2016, 08:08 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
Boost cut?
Old Oct 13, 2016, 08:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kaj
Boost cut?
I mean boost cut shouldn't be happening since the car has been tuned? what about fuel cut? shouldn't be that either though?
Old Oct 13, 2016, 08:16 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by Bmurray
I mean boost cut shouldn't be happening since the car has been tuned? what about fuel cut? shouldn't be that either though?
Why not? Unless his tuner neglected to set a limit.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 08:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kaj
Why not? Unless his tuner neglected to set a limit.
I'm 99.9% sure i asked my tuner if it could have been boost cut the first time it happened, and he said no.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 09:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am thinking you need to log it.

I think there is a good chance your car is pulling timing from knock.

could be something like your exhaust vibrating against something or a bad motor mount setting of the knock sensor.

or faulty sensor but its not random enough for that
Old Oct 14, 2016, 09:24 AM
Evolved Member

The plugs look fine but they still coule be getting old. When did you last swap them? I find that I have to replace my plugs once a year even though they're iridiums. I think it has to do with running more fuel through the car being its on e85.

Is your 93 tune also at 29#?

It could be knocking badly so it pulls timing and literally falls on its face. usually when my car has knock it just feel like it has no ***** but still pulls cleanly.

I suppose you could be hitting boost cut. If you have a smart tuner they dont remove the boost cut; its there for a reason. The better approach is to raise the threshold.

But the thing that I dont understand is why its only doing it with a quick 2-3 shift. In theory youll hit less boost in 3rd shifting into 3rd at closer to redline in 2nd vs doing a 3rd gear pull from say 3k RPM. Thats why Im thinking it could be something with the DV not closing quickly enough or there is a knocking sound like a downpipe hitting from engine movement between shifts and the knock sensor is pulling tons of timing to combat that.

As others have said a datalog would be a good idea. Id recommend going back out with your tuner and trying to replicate whats happening with him watching the vitals.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 12:56 PM
Evolved Member

The plugs look fine but they still coule be getting old. When did you last swap them? I find that I have to replace my plugs once a year even though they're iridiums. I think it has to do with running more fuel through the car being its on e85.

Is your 93 tune also at 29#?

It could be knocking badly so it pulls timing and literally falls on its face. usually when my car has knock it just feel like it has no ***** but still pulls cleanly.

I suppose you could be hitting boost cut. If you have a smart tuner they dont remove the boost cut; its there for a reason. The better approach is to raise the threshold.

But the thing that I dont understand is why its only doing it with a quick 2-3 shift. In theory youll hit less boost in 3rd shifting into 3rd at closer to redline in 2nd vs doing a 3rd gear pull from say 3k RPM. Thats why Im thinking it could be something with the DV not closing quickly enough or there is a knocking sound like a downpipe hitting from engine movement between shifts and the knock sensor is pulling tons of timing to combat that.

As others have said a datalog would be a good idea. Id recommend going back out with your tuner and trying to replicate whats happening with him watching the vitals.

Plugs are about 3 months old. I read for e85 to change them about every 3 months iirc. I asked my tuner last night and he did confirm boost cut is gone so it can't be that.

I want to reiterate that it does not happen on EVERY single hard 3rd shift. It will happen one out of every 8 times or something along those lines. Swear it seems like when I want it to happen it won't.. Then if I'm at the track or something it wants to happen every pass.

I JUST had the car retuned on the new turbo setup less than 3 weeks ago?! Wouldn't knock have been something the tuner would have easily fixed/seen? The car feels super strong. Doesn't feel sluggish at all. This is literally only something that happens for a split second. It may not be solely 3rd gear. When it happens i typically let out because it scares me. It could have happened with a hard shift into 4th, etc..

I'm planning on going to a somewhat local 1/4 mile track sunday and going to see how it runs. I cleaned the plugs and checked the gap on them. I'm taking my forge dv with me along with a new set of plugs on sunday. Wish i had someone local with a tactrix cable that could meet me there and log.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 01:56 PM
kaj

shifting could cause knock (from parts, not engine) that wouldn't show during a 3rd-gear pull. This is all really, really hard to diagnose without data logs, though.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 02:43 PM
Evolved Member

Let me ask this....

can an injector be bad and still flow test fine?
Old Oct 14, 2016, 03:50 PM
Evolved Member

Here's my tuner's exact words after mentioning if the car could be pulling timing.

"Def not pulling timing. Something is cutting out. It could be the tps or map sensor or even the Maf. If it was pulling timing you would know it. But if you want to come up and try to log it. I will for sure and see if I can tell."

Quick Reply: Weird bogging issue when hard shifting into 3rd?