Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

My very first evo ix purchase, assistance required please

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2016, 03:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My very first evo ix purchase, assistance required please

Hello fellow enthusiasts,

I am interested in the purchase of my 1st EVO. I am specifically interested in a modified EVO IX, however I am concerned about reliability, build quality, and if the prior owner has abused the vehicle.
This would be my daily driver so I want to ensure reliability for years to come.
How many miles are too many on the odometer? Is there a recommendation (i.e. <100K).
I understand the 5 speed tranny is more reliable than the 6 MR, however I enjoy a well built MR edition in either WW or GG.
What is a fair market value for a modified EVO IX? I realize that's a subjective question, however considering the 10yr age of said vehicle, I can't justify paying over a certain value no matter the quality of build.

In addition, what are your suggestions for an overpriced modified EVO IX at a used luxury car dealership that has had numerous infamous dealings with the public, here are a few samples of their customer reviews:

The owner is such a miserable old ****, it just radiates off him.
4-5 years ago I had to serve him some legal documents, one of presumably many legal actions initiated against the dealer. The whole place had a palpable sense of hostility, and I remember thinking "man, I'd hate to be a customer here." Well that, and the numerous threads on beyond, including the big one with the owner.
Not surprisingly, the owner refused to sign for them. He spoke in grunts, the only discernible thing he said was "I don't sign for ****." So I had the receptionist (presumably daughter do it) and hand them to him at which point I said "you've been served lol" and walked out.

then this gem:
Sold me a used car, it doesn't work. I asked them to fix it and was told to F**k myself

Your suggestions and opinions on said topic would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for all your help in advance.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 04:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
The Evo can be a very reliable car as long as you are willing to do the required maintenance. Used Evos with questionable histories should be avoided unless you plan on a significant rebuild. Find someone that knows Evos to help you inspect in person.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 04:20 PM

thanks Laxman, appreciate the reply

advice I found, lol:

NEVER NEVER NEVER give a deposit...oldest trick in the book.
Always say you want it inspected at an independant shop first,
and if they say no walk away or better yet runaway.

P.S those after market warranties arn't even as good as the toilet paper you use.

they get the policy for 300.00 and sell it for 1500-2000 bucks
and it covers jack ****.
Read the fine print boys,i know you guys want to drive but take a chill out moment and read what your signing.

Dealerships love young blood.

And always get a second opinion.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 04:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey, I just purchased a 06 GSR with 29,xxx miles on it from a dealership in NYC without having the opportunity to inspect it myself because I live in NC.
I looked over the carfax and it looks legit. The vehicle itself from pics( I know pics can make a less than desireable vehicle look better than it is) looks legit, they sent me pics of the undercarriage and it doesn't look like it has any excessive rust and I'm taking there word the car is as clean in person as it is in person.
I understand the importance of getting the car looked at as soon as it gets here, with that being said I will be taking it to a credited local performance shop to get looked over on top of getting it tuned and dynod.
I say if it's the car you really want go for it, just get it inspected and looked over by someone who knows the car and then take their advice as what to do from there. Good luck. I can't wait to get mine!!
Old Oct 26, 2016, 07:42 PM

Congrats E_\/ OlutioN! Enjoy your car!

Does anyone think a seller's asking price of $40K+ for a VIII or IX full mods, with over 70K miles is overpriced and excessive? What should I really be paying for this type of vehicle with that many miles on the motor? What's a reasonable and not lowball offer?

Thanks!
Old Oct 26, 2016, 07:53 PM
Evolving Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Difficult to say without the list of mods and history of the car
Old Oct 26, 2016, 09:27 PM

$40k for a 10 year old car? Is this your first time with an evo? If so, I wouldn't even bother looking at it.

modded evo's are a hit or miss, but most likely miss. My reason behind it is there are to many variables when installing mods. You may end up with grimlin problems that will probably frustrate you.

i have bought 3 evo ix through the time span of my life and every one of them had some kind of hidden
problem. All 3 were mostly stock but had minor mods

1. First dude had a nice looking silver evo. I bought and on my way home the engine light came on. Luckily turned out to be a disconnected vacuum line. I sold it because gf was harassing me.

2. Second time around I said " f*uck what my gf thinks" and bought another one. this time I bought a black evo ix. On my way home the engine light came on. Stopped at gas station and the engine wouldn't turn back on. Only one side of the headlight turned on( found out when it got dark). Fixed all problems and ended up selling it 2 years later because I felt I was getting to old.

3. Bought another evo ix except this time it's a mr. I feel like a Highschool kid again, being envious of my friends having integra gsr while I had the regular. The probelm with this evo was blown shocks and warped disk brake. Fixed it and now it's running great

evo's will have there share of problems. Buying one is kinda risky if you're not the hands on type. Keep in mind I'm also a bargain hunter so i would never pay that much
Old Oct 27, 2016, 09:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I feel sorry for any car that has to drive in Toronto Winter - let alone an Evo. If you have money, get the Evo and "play" in the snow. Then get a old beater for the salty slush.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 03:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
USDM 8/9s are so overpriced in Canada. You could probably import one for thirty grand in stockish shape with lower mileage. If you want a 3rd gen and don't mind RHD get an Evo 7 for about 15K all in with 120,000km on it.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 07:50 PM

Thanks for all of your replies, very much appreciated. I am looking to buy either of the following examples as my daily driver but feel the respective asking prices are excessive given the number of miles. What are your thoughts gentlemen?:

exhibit A: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sa...pine-more.html

exhibit B: http://www.internationalmotorcars.ca...a3d939a965.htm

NOTE: exhibit B is the dealership I referenced in my initial post (now specializing in luxury vehicles, previously a Suzuki dealership that closed); they are asking for 50% of the vehicle's full market value, without any negotiation/firm price, not to mention the owners (father & son) have terrible reputations; see their testimonials:

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?threadid=381713

http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/South-...and-was-556803

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/can...-fake-ads.html

perhaps Ferp you've heard of them hailing from Alberta?
Old Oct 27, 2016, 11:20 PM

Unhappy

Those cars look very heavily modified, mate maybe buy something stock and mod it yourself, you will learn more about your car by your build, you could be opening up there a can of worms there for yourself on those 2 "daily drivers" ?? you won't get out of 3rd gear on the streets, buy stock or with light mods, not cop attractors
Old Oct 28, 2016, 03:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
AU is a bit like Canada, here if you see a stroker for sale they add up the price of the mods and add them to the price of the car, well if I was going to pay a premium it would original and low miles and you have the rest of your life to mod it
Old Oct 28, 2016, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Mirrors
Those cars look very heavily modified, mate maybe buy something stock and mod it yourself, you will learn more about your car by your build, you could be opening up there a can of worms there for yourself on those 2 "daily drivers" ?? you won't get out of 3rd gear on the streets, buy stock or with light mods, not cop attractors

Agreed, well said. LOVE the Evo TME 6.5 btw, excellent choice! Might have to import one of those myself.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Jonno99
AU is a bit like Canada, here if you see a stroker for sale they add up the price of the mods and add them to the price of the car, well if I was going to pay a premium it would original and low miles and you have the rest of your life to mod it

Agreed Jonno99, adding up the price of the mods and rolling them into the msrp is definitely to be expected. Taking into consideration the cost of labour and brand new parts on a low miles stock example would price out to be more in the long run wouldn't it? Having it for the rest of my life is exactly what the plan is
Old Oct 28, 2016, 07:18 PM

http://www.cbrdspeedfactory.com/2006...tion-pristine/

I fell in love with this IMMEDIATELY, however realized it had sold;(
This solid/bulletproof build from a reputable shop would be an example of when it is completely acceptable to spend over $30K on a IX MR with relatively low miles.

Quick Reply: My very first evo ix purchase, assistance required please