Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

"Crankshaft position sensor"

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2016, 05:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Crankshaft position sensor"

(06 evo 9) Hi, my name is shawn. This is my first post on a forum, hope i am doing this right and dont look like a jacka**. So i had a check engine light come up for a P0335 code # which is a crankshaft position sensor. I have many questions to go through so any help would be much appreciated. I store my car for 6 months for winter weather fyi and start it once a week on a fully charged battery. After a "hard start" in the cold...slowly turned over i noticed the engine light was on. I've read a couple things online about why or how this engine code could come about. I have read that it could be a possible open wire or crankshaft sensor going bad. Also read that the camshaft position sensor could be going resulting in that code reading. After being started my car sounded fine, idled fine, didn't have any severe cam loping sound or anything that would give me the thought of it not running properly. Also read that if the crankshaft sensor was not working or you did not have one the car would not start because it wouldn't get any fuel which in my case the car ran fine which makes me believe that the sensor may be going bad or it's the cam sensor or an open wire on either or.

QUESTIONS:
crankshaft position sensor?
camshaft position sensor?
could it be my actual crankshaft movement or just the sensor with this specific code?
does this accure often on a difficult start basically telling me it wasnt a healthy start on the engine and can be wiped to see if it comes up again. But with a wiped code i dont drive it much right now so it may be awhile till it scans again to tell me theres definetly a problem and not just a "malfunction"
Old Dec 26, 2016, 05:58 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Hi Shawn

Thanks for posting up. Just want to confirm you do have an EvO? Your info notes a Ford?

Its possible that code was due to the hard cold start. I would clear the code & try it again

Joe
Old Dec 26, 2016, 06:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 88 Posts
Try and clear it. Usually crank sensor codes set with crank fault. Cam sensor has its own codes also.
If it comes back inspect connector for proper fitment and no corrosion on pins.
If all checks out, remove timing cover to inspect reluctor wheel.

If reluctor wheel and connections check out put a sensor in it.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 09:34 AM

Thanks guys for the speedy responses! I actually started the evo today and the check engine lifht was not present!! So as of now i will keep an eye on it. Appreciate the help. Sincerely, novice evo owner.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 02:40 PM
Evolving Member

Crank sensor is a pain to change. Wire goes behind timing belt and through the cover.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 06:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ryan4dc
Crank sensor is a pain to change. Wire goes behind timing belt and through the cover.
Yea and might as well replace timing belt and balance shaft belt.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 11:20 AM

Can anyone tell me, or even better yet, show me where the crank position connector attaches to the engine wiring harness? I'm having some really bad misfires and found a disconnected plug that I'm currently suspecting could be this sensor. Thanks in advance for any info!
Old Mar 3, 2020, 11:42 AM
Evolved Member

Whats up bud.

The crankshaft position sensor is located on the passenger side of the cylinder head. on the intake manifold side. It is a Oval shaped connector. Near the Coil and oxygen sensor connectors.

Its secured to the cylinder head and the connector will be pointing up in a vertical position.

If im not mistaken the engine would not be running with it unplugged, however its possible its a unplugged ignition coil causing the misfires.

post a picture