Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

ACD pump issues/leakage rattling noise

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2017, 09:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ACD pump issues/leakage rattling noise

So long story short after picking up the car in Dallas I was driving it home and noticed my acd lights were on did some research and learned that it may potentially be the pump so I took it to an Evo shop here in Houston where we found an empty reservoir, so they filled it up cleared any codes ect.. but it didn't stop there, it keeps hemorraging atf fluid from somewhere and I haven't been able to pinpoint exactly where it's coming from. Did some more research and learned that the cause might be the seals and plate inside the acd pump, so I went ahead and purchased the rebuild kit. Also it's not leaving any oil spots anywhere it only leaks it out when driving. Also there's this knocking rattling noise coming from what I think is the rear diff but it rattles a little while driving any input on that? So far nothing sounds broken but I'm not gonna risk it and keep driving it like that. If anyone has experienced something like this any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!
Old Feb 6, 2017, 11:24 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds like your T-case is shot.

I've never heard of a failed ACD pump actually leaking fluid. In the rare case the accumulator is bad, you should be able to see fluid all over the pump through the bumper.

A failed ACD pump (3 lights) should not result in knocking noises. So likely your ACD rebuild kit won't fix anything.

Regardless, I hope you find the source of the problem.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by DetroitEvoIX
Sounds like your T-case is shot.

I've never heard of a failed ACD pump actually leaking fluid. In the rare case the accumulator is bad, you should be able to see fluid all over the pump through the bumper.

A failed ACD pump (3 lights) should not result in knocking noises. So likely your ACD rebuild kit won't fix anything.

Regardless, I hope you find the source of the problem.

thats the thing the dealer i bought it from told me they put in a new t case and when I looked at it, it's brand new, the pump does look wet and the problem seems to be coming from somewhere up front because whenever I drive it across town it burns it up is there any lines that go by/past the manifold? I want to say it could be something loose because it only does it when driving is there a way to check that without a lift? And the knocking noise comes from the rear like something is loose back there
Old Feb 7, 2017, 05:36 AM
Evolving Member

It's possible the line from the ACD pump to the T-case is loose. That would make sense that you would lose fluid only while driving ... pump builds pressure, pushes fluid out the path of least resistance rather than locking the T-case.

I'd start by pulling the front bumper off (pretty easy to do) and you'll have clear access to the ACD pump. This might help diagnose a loose line. I can't think of any lines up by the manifold?

Although I can't explain the noise you're hearing from the rear end - the ACD shouldn't have anything to do with that.

But simply put, if you see fluid in front of the driver's side wheel, the ACD pump is likely the source of the leak.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 05:38 AM
Evolving Member

OR, it could be when they replaced the T-case, they didn't tighten the line from the pump and the fluid is leaking at the T-case. If this was the case then you should be seeing fluid underneath the center of the car (under the T-case).
Old Feb 7, 2017, 05:43 AM
Evolving Member

One way to check (without actually driving) is to turn the ignition on (without starting the car) then depress the accelerator pedal slowly 3 times. This is a somewhat 'hidden' bleed procedure for the ACD.

You will hear the relay click and the pump should run for a second or two. When the pump is running, you should be able to better find the leak path.

If you search for ACD bleed procedure here on evolutionm you should find it. But it's literally that easy to perform and should help you find the leak.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 05:44 AM

I did just that yesterday and the pump looks fine, now like you just mentioned I think it's the line that goes into the t case that's loose the whole underneath area of the t case was wet and smelled like atf fluid I'll take a closer look today when I get home hopefully nothing major
Old Feb 7, 2017, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by DetroitEvoIX
One way to check (without actually driving) is to turn the ignition on (without starting the car) then depress the accelerator pedal slowly 3 times. This is a somewhat 'hidden' bleed procedure for the ACD.

You will hear the relay click and the pump should run for a second or two. When the pump is running, you should be able to better find the leak path.

If you search for ACD bleed procedure here on evolutionm you should find it. But it's literally that easy to perform and should help you find the leak.
oh damn that easy? I'll do that today as soon as I get home thanks for the info I'll let you know how it turns out