Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

crank voltage?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2017, 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts
crank voltage?

So the car sometimes does stupid **** while cranking. Sometimes it'll start cranking and halfway will stop cranking and make a weird noise. When this happens the gauges (speedo, rpm, etc go up and down as if to reset). I just let off the key and crank it again and it'll start no problem. Sometimes it'll start right away. I took it to advance to check battery, alt, and starter. They said battery and alternator was good but the voltage drops while cranking and it's probably the starter solenoid. Now, while ago I broke the stud on my original solenoid so I took it to a shop that does starters and alternators and they replaced it with one that they said would work. What do you guys think? Can it be the solenoid?
Old Apr 2, 2017, 03:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Check out the heavy cable from battery to starter for tight clean connections. Also make sure the small wire at the starter is on firmly. People complain that this wire keeps falling off but it only happens once the connector is broken.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 03:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts
I got the car with the battery relocated to the trunk...maybe it is a good time to take it apart and make sure the did the job correctly...I will check the starter cable too...