Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Wrenching & you - how did you start?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2017, 01:41 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 226 Likes on 155 Posts
Suspension and brake torque specs are also important. Also on most bolts some kind of thread locker should be used.

Not using torque spec could also lead to fasteners becoming loose or vibrating off.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 03:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Don't get me wrong the FSM is a wonderful thing to have - required reading. The only thing I'm wanting to stress, if new to this, is the level to which it is written. If it was written as an amateur guide it would be much more detailed and probably consist mostly of warnings of bad things that could happen like the stupid owners manual you receive but never read that comes with a new lawn mower.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 08:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 81 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
I torque everything to spec, your just lazy. The only extra time it takes is looking up the spec in the first place and turning a torque wrench. Stop being lazy, up your game and do it right the first time.
I couldn't tell you the last time I had a bolt come loose so I'm not to worried about it.
Ive read some of your posts, that fuel pump you've been working on is a cluster, my game would squash you!

Mod edit: Do not insult other members. Do not use hateful language.

Last edited by fostytou; Apr 7, 2017 at 09:41 AM.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 10:31 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by 2winscroll
Yea whatever.....your just an **** f$&k
I couldn't tell you the last time I had a bolt come loose so I'm not to worried about it.
Ive read some of your posts, that fuel pump you've been working on is a cluster, my game would squash you!
lol Im flattered. Its not about being ****, its about having pride in your work. Half assing things often leads to problems down the road. Its a philosophy thing, either your going to do the best job you can or you aren't. Not really sure which fuel pump thread your referring to, because I have been involved in several, but often trying to help random strangers troubleshoot problems over the internet can be difficult. Most won't even bother, like you for example, you think you know better, why don't you try and help the person in what ever thread you are talking about?
Old Apr 6, 2017, 06:22 AM
Account Disabled

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
When you've done it enough times , you can go by feel.....self calibrated against a torque wrench.

Then you practice doing it backwards.
After it's blown up you do the reverse on the torque specs to see what's no longer correct.
Except you use the torque wrench this time.
That's the fun part.
The following users liked this post:
2winscroll (Apr 6, 2017)
Old Apr 6, 2017, 08:06 AM

The easiest person to deceive is yourself. There is a reason cars are more reliable, efficient, and powerful these days, and its not because humans are still building them by intuition. It's your machine, do as you will, just know that quality of work would not be acceptable in any professional industry.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 08:20 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Torque specs are for critical assemblies (certain sealing surfaces, where things can break like the valvecover or easily stripped aluminum threads, or things where tolerances matter). Otherwise, being an experienced mechanic with a good feel for what is tight, taking into account the size of the bolt, is fine.

What barneyb is saying about the FSM being written for an experienced mechanic is spot on. As a beginner, the OP should read through what he is going to do before starting, and form a plan, and ask questions if necessary. Like 2winscroll stated, the FSM is more of a "guide" than a step-by-step instruction booklet.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 08:33 AM

you have the tools, and the knowledge, you choose not to use them because its easier. That's just the bottom line. Everything else is just an excuse.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 06:54 PM
Evolved Member

you have the tools, and the knowledge, you choose not to use them because its easier. That's just the bottom line. Everything else is just an excuse.
Saves times....time is money.....my customers couldn't be happier with the price, or the quality. If I were to pull a motor and replace it, and torque every single bolt I would have to charge $300 extra on that job. Never had a problem so far. I guess I'm just A lazy f$&k, Oh and so are the NASCAR teams that spin there Lugnuts on with a impact gun. Just saying.

Last edited by 2winscroll; Apr 6, 2017 at 07:02 PM.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 08:20 PM

lol you sound pretty triggered bro, maybe you should crawl back into your safe space.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 10:25 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Technically, billable labor hours take into account torquing fasteners...lol
Old Apr 7, 2017, 05:58 AM
Account Disabled

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
How long is an hour?
Old Apr 7, 2017, 07:35 AM
Evolved Member

The easiest person to deceive is yourself.
You said it.....and don't call me bro.
How do I keep getting sucked into a reply? Must be the drama, not a lot to do down in this hole.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by 2winscroll
Oh man I got you good, your ego must be on fire right now. Responding doesn't really matter because this is gonna get cleaned up anyway but...why not

... who thinks its ok to cut corners and rip people off because....NASCAR?? You are literally the reason why i can't take my cars to a mechanic and I had to learn to do the work myself. I just can't trust my safety, and the safety of my family to people who cut corners either because they are lazy, incompetent, or rely on dishonest business practices to stay in business.

Last edited by fostytou; Apr 7, 2017 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Didn't want to insult any honest hard working mechanics
Old Apr 7, 2017, 09:17 AM
Evolved Member

Oh man I got you good, your ego must be on fire right now. Responding doesn't really matter because this is gonna get cleaned up anyway but...why not

...who thinks its ok to cut corners and rip people off because....NASCAR?? You are literally the reason why i can't take my cars to a mechanic and I had to learn to do the work myself. I just can't trust my safety, and the safety of my family to people who cut corners either because they are lazy, incompetent, or rely on dishonest business practices to stay in business.
Uhm...who got who? Yea NASCAR I suppose you know better than them also. when is the last time they torqued Lugnuts during a pit stop? It's called efficiency.
Yea I'm a Hick and proud of it!

Last edited by fostytou; Apr 7, 2017 at 09:36 AM.

Quick Reply: Wrenching & you - how did you start?