Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

EVO in trouble, took one for the team

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2004, 12:13 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy EVO in trouble, took one for the team

Well today on my way home from work to watch UFC, i was stopped waiting for a light to go green and in my rear view comes a tbird straight at me at about 25-30mph. As soon as my reaction to hold the brakes came in the car hit me at full speed, no brakes, no skid marks.

We pulled out of traffic and I got out, saw the damage, and the guy quickly said "I don't have insurance man, it doesn't look like any damage is done on your car so we cool?" I said "You're kidding right? I'm calling the police to file a report." He said "They're going to impound my car, I can't do this!" With the smell of alcohol on his breath.

He got back into his car and sped off, leaving me and my EVO in shock. I ran into the street and wrote down his license plate number "2YPC497". This is a tan 91-96 Ford Thunderbird, black male in his mid-late 30's, 5'9, 170-180lbs. White female, blonde, late-early 30's. We were on Topanga Cyn Blvd going Northbound just before Chase Ave.

If anyone can run the plates, or help find this guy I would really appreciate it, otherwise I'm screwed and have to pay my full deductibles and let a drunk driver get away with this. I'm going to the DMV tomorrow to see if they can help. I've got a police report, ambulance report, and filed a claim with my insurance. I go in for a claim estimate on tuesday. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help. Pics are below.

Old Apr 3, 2004, 12:21 AM
Evolved Member

ouch man..i feel for ya. glad you got his license plate # so they can catch his ***, charge him for everything, DUI, leaving the scene of a crime, not having insurance, etc. good luck with everything!!
Old Apr 3, 2004, 12:30 AM
Evolving Member

Here's the rundown Hoss.
You have his plate #. First off he'll be charged with leaving the scene of property damage. Second he'll have to pay for your deductible. Third, if it's illegal to drive without insurance in your state, he'll be charged with that to. File a police report if you haven't done so allready. And you'll be free and clear of your deductible. He'll come out on top in the long run though, because he avoided a DUI, I'm guessing by the way he handled the situation, it wasn't his first either..........any takers?
Old Apr 3, 2004, 12:39 AM

Wow, I did not know that our bumper covers were that strong. For an impact at 25-30 mph, it is amazing that there was not more damage. As far as insurance, you got the license plate and hopefully you also have the uninsured motorist deductible waiver which will allow you to get your car fixed without paying a deductible provided that your insurer deems this an uninsured motorist claim.
Old Apr 3, 2004, 12:42 AM
Evolved Member

that mother****er i hope ya bust his *** good.drinkin-n-driving
Old Apr 3, 2004, 12:45 AM
Evolving Member

Location: [6][5][0]san mateo, California..."rEpN dA YaY aReA!!"
least u got his plates.n get him for hit n run..what a duMb F*
Old Apr 3, 2004, 12:56 AM
Evolving Member

I just took some pics of underneath the car, the frame rail is crumpled. I will post them later this morning, tired and in pain. Thanks for the help guys.
Old Apr 3, 2004, 01:25 AM
Evolved Member

Sorry to say this but welcome to the club. There have been about 4 Evo's rear-ended in the last month, mine included. Both of my frame rails where trashed and my bill is gonna be around 4500. Good luck with getting the cops to track his *** down.

BTW...our bumper covers do seem to hold up VERY well to accidents so if anyone is hit from behind...file a police report no matter how it looks.
Old Apr 3, 2004, 01:46 AM
Evolving Member

damn man that sucks. i got rear ended in nivember and the guy was drunk and he tried to run but his POS miata was soo F-ed it couldnt move so i ran after him and called the cops then and there. you did good tho getting his plates and his description, hopefully it'l work out for you.

btw i live really close to you, or at least where the accident happened, ill keep an eye out for ya
Old Apr 3, 2004, 01:48 AM

Re: EVO in trouble, took one for the team

Originally posted by ev8sive
[B]Well today on my way home from work to watch UFC, i was stopped waiting for a light to go green and in my rear view comes a tbird straight at me at about 25-30mph. As soon as my reaction to hold the brakes came in the car hit me at full speed, no brakes, no skid marks.
I know this guy was at fault and all, but he was not doing 25-30 mph. More like 5-10 when he hit you. Your car would be MUCH more thrashed if he had hit you at 25-30mph. Good luck with the case though. Peace
Old Apr 3, 2004, 01:56 AM
Evolving Member

man that sucks! get his ***!
Old Apr 3, 2004, 02:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the same thing happened to me in december, drunk guy rear-ended me then left the scene. i got his plate and filed a police report. he replaced his bumper with a piece of lumber and told police that he was in an accident while hunting elk. no one could id the driver so he got away free. if you can id the driver then he'll probably go to jail.

the moral of the story is if you are drunk and you accidentally kill women and children in a car accident then you should hide your face and flee the scene because you won't get caught.
Old Apr 3, 2004, 03:01 AM
Evolved Member

Re: Re: EVO in trouble, took one for the team

Originally posted by JohnnyChimpo

I know this guy was at fault and all, but he was not doing 25-30 mph. More like 5-10 when he hit you. Your car would be MUCH more thrashed if he had hit you at 25-30mph. Good luck with the case though. Peace
Uhm...were you there? Why do you assume that because it "looks" alright that the guy wasn't going as fast as stated? I was hit on the freeway. I was doing about 35 (slowing for construction) and the guy who hit me said he was clippin along at 70 before he hit his brakes just a second before running into me. Don't make assumptions. I had a $4500 worth of damage done and the rear bumper cover could have been buffed out and you would never have known.
Old Apr 3, 2004, 03:13 AM

Re: Re: Re: EVO in trouble, took one for the team

Originally posted by Cirrusly Evolvd

Uhm...were you there? Why do you assume that because it "looks" alright that the guy wasn't going as fast as stated? I was hit on the freeway. I was doing about 35 (slowing for construction) and the guy who hit me said he was clippin along at 70 before he hit his brakes just a second before running into me. Don't make assumptions. I had a $4500 worth of damage done and the rear bumper cover could have been buffed out and you would never have known.
No, I wasn't there, and I'm not trying to start a feud. I never said "it looks alright", I'm only saying that I was hit by someone doing about 30 while I was in my Honda and it totaled the car (the trunk ended up in the back seat...and I mean an Accord sedan that ended up looking like a hatchback). And the drunk guy that hit you said he was doing 70 right? I'm just saying that the damage doesn't look like he hit you doing 30-35 mph. The EVO has 5 mph bumpers just like any car. Your car looks like it was hit at between 5-10 mph. Just my opinion. Did your insurance adjuster already give you a quote?

Last edited by JohnnyChimpo; Apr 3, 2004 at 03:20 AM.
Old Apr 3, 2004, 03:54 AM
Evolved Member

you have a superevo.. my wife rear ended me going about 5mph and my whole bumper was ****ed up... i don't see how with that kind of speed you have this minor amount of damage... what's up?