Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Car running hot

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2017, 06:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car running hot

went to the store yesterday and on my return trip home I noticed a smell (couldn't tell if it was oil or antifreeze. Leaning towards the latter).. I looked down at my gauges and noticed my temp gauge a lot higher than normal looked back up and saw steam coming from the hood.. so I pulled into the next parking lot I saw and shut off. Temp wasn't quite in the red put it was probly around 4/5 the way up.

Popped the hood and the fan was running. I couldn't pinpoint where the steam was coming from but I did notice fluid on top of the trans near the back of the bay... also fluid had splashed onto the hood...

Let the car sit for about 5 mins and turned the key. Temp was about 1/2 so I crunk it back up and looked around the bay... looked around for a few mins while it was running and didn't see anything. Temp remained the same. I also noticed that the radiator was very cool if any heat to it.

During the last five miles I had to pull over again because the temp started to rise and repeat. Temp came right back down after sitting a couple mins... finally made it home and since I was already having a bad day I put the car away for the night...

Today I went and checked and there's like a drop or two of water in the stock overflow tank and I took the rad cap off and didn't see any coolant...

Suggestions for the easier things to do? In hoping it's something simple and not a blown head gasket
Old Jun 5, 2017, 03:13 AM
Evolving Member

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Try to add coolant, burping the system and letting it get up to operating temp while keeping an eye on the gauge. Also, check if the fans kick in and if there are any leaks and go from there.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 04:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Could be a leaky rad, fill it up, start it up, check for leaks.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 02:54 PM

Finally had a chance to look at the car....

Poured about 3 2 liter bottles of water in the radiator and it wasn't filling up. As I poured I could hear the water flowing through the system.. I went pull the car out my garage and my son stopped me and said I was leaking... after looking around trying to pinpoint it I finally found it...

The culprit is the hose that runs from the head to the front of the throttle body... had a nice long slit in it... I'll probably head outside in a bit to take care of it. Just thankful it's something simple
Old Jun 6, 2017, 03:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jbundrick
Finally had a chance to look at the car....

Poured about 3 2 liter bottles of water in the radiator and it wasn't filling up. As I poured I could hear the water flowing through the system.. I went pull the car out my garage and my son stopped me and said I was leaking... after looking around trying to pinpoint it I finally found it...

The culprit is the hose that runs from the head to the front of the throttle body... had a nice long slit in it... I'll probably head outside in a bit to take care of it. Just thankful it's something simple
Could you please let me know the part number and store that you are going to buy this from? Thanks.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 06:19 PM

I was told it wasn't really needed so I took the line off the back of the throttle body and put it on the back of the head where the original came from.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 05:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hard wire your fan so it runs all the time? mine ran hot when in boost so i replaced thermostat adn wire fan to run all the time and works great
Old Jun 16, 2017, 05:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Removed - see below

Last edited by barneyb; Jul 7, 2017 at 05:26 PM.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 09:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
have you checked all hoses for the hose clamps?
Old Jul 4, 2017, 10:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 88 Posts
My money is on the throttle body coolant lines.

Pressure test the cooling system or do a good visual.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 05:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by Jbundrick
I was told it wasn't really needed so I took the line off the back of the throttle body and put it on the back of the head where the original came from.
Not needed during the summer. During cold weather, weather below 60 F with humidity, the throttle can ice up leading to poor running or stall. In light aircraft you use throttle heat during landing on the 4th of July - overkill on that day but a habit you don't want to get out of.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 02:17 AM

It was a coolant line on the throttle body.... I just removed it and rerouted the other line so I don't have anything goin to the tb anymore