Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

MANLEY prone to cracking?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2017, 11:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JRally
I broke at 430whp and an ACT XTSS
I'm very glad I asked before slapping this together haha
Old Jul 13, 2017, 11:31 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 355 Likes on 240 Posts
I'm not trying to call anyone's baby ugly or step on any toes. Take a step back and look at every situation and the facts.

Lets not forget that plenty of people have cracked OEM or other 100mm cranks with power,rpm,detonation or sheer force . Its 14% larger then the stock 88mm crank and deals with more leverage. Everything has its limits.
Bigger stroke is going to increase Harmonics. Here are a few things worth noting.
1) Most people change the crank and they don't add a good dampner (ATI) to help deal with this. The stock dampner is for a stock crank/engine and is over a decade old at this point. A good dampner is going to help any engine with aftermarket rods/pistons of any stroke. Its often overlooked and people want to point fingers at something else. Our engines can easily make 150-250hp a cylinder so everything needs to be looked at. Fail to plan, plan to fail.
2) There has been a tuning learning curve for most over the past decade. If you look back the information is there on timing used,afr and results. The big crank doesn't deal with being rattled like the smaller crank but anything can break. A clean dyno sheet on low smoothing tells the story for the people that know. Ever look at one on high smoothing and its still wavy. Or Jagged? Not how I want my engine to run.
3) Everyone is a tuner and does endless road logs "getting it right" on a single knock sensor with Hobbyist software. This has its draw backs if the engine isn't running good. How accurate is the software, old knock sensor, ignition system barreling down the road? How many people have tuned their stock engine bearings out tuning on their own. Professionals with the right tools and feedback are a worthwhile investment. Or the tuner that runs 35psi on pump gas and is proud of it. Thats careless or not knowing any better. I've seen countless examples
4) Hang a big heavy twin/triple disk that doesn't slip to cause even more stress on the drivetrain. Clutch technology has gotten extremely good and affordable over the years. Something has to give.
5) The RS motors car has broken a few stock cranks IIRC. Its well tuned but I'd guess between a strong twin disk and chattering the tires on a loose road course surface its transmitting the shock into the crank and drivetrain.
6) Leverage/material limits.
7) A well balanced assembly . Remember, good and cheap hardly work out. Going to a machine shop that has a great reputation is worth the money. The engine builder also should have ALL the proper tools to check that work and assemble the engine.
8) TScomp uses and builds ALOT of 100mm Manley crank engines . He's tuned/built these cars for awhile and they seem to live well. If the crank was a problem would he continue to run it?
The big crank has its limits like anything else. With good tuning and parts selection it should live a decent life at moderate levels.
FWIW. I've got a Manley billet 94mm, ATI and well balanced assembly thats living well .

These cars are very rewarding if you take the time to research,build them and tune them correctly. Attention to detail always pays off.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torsional_vibration

Last edited by Abacus; Jul 13, 2017 at 03:37 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JRally (Jul 13, 2017)
Old Jul 13, 2017, 02:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Abacus
TScomp uses and builds ALOT of 100mm Manley crank engines . He's tuned/built these cars for awhile and they seem to live well. If the crank was a problem would he continue to run it?

He uses Billet and I was only speaking on the Forged one for the record. I'd go Eagle before the forged Manley.

But everything you're saying...yes, 100%.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 06:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
Pretty much why I'd rather hand my engine off to a reputable builder to build my engine. The tools, machinery, and knowledge to build a reliable high horsepower engine are beyond my reach. Some people ask me why I don't build my own engine. Abacus hit the nail on the head with #7.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 11:10 PM

I'm not trying to call anyone's baby ugly or step on any toes. Take a step back and look at every situation and the facts.

Lets not forget that plenty of people have cracked OEM or other 100mm cranks with power,rpm,detonation or sheer force . Its 14% larger then the stock 88mm crank and deals with more leverage. Everything has its limits.
Bigger stroke is going to increase Harmonics. Here are a few things worth noting.
1) Most people change the crank and they don't add a good dampner (ATI) to help deal with this. The stock dampner is for a stock crank/engine and is over a decade old at this point. A good dampner is going to help any engine with aftermarket rods/pistons of any stroke. Its often overlooked and people want to point fingers at something else. Our engines can easily make 150-250hp a cylinder so everything needs to be looked at. Fail to plan, plan to fail.
2) There has been a tuning learning curve for most over the past decade. If you look back the information is there on timing used,afr and results. The big crank doesn't deal with being rattled like the smaller crank but anything can break. A clean dyno sheet on low smoothing tells the story for the people that know. Ever look at one on high smoothing and its still wavy. Or Jagged? Not how I want my engine to run.
3) Everyone is a tuner and does endless road logs "getting it right" on a single knock sensor with Hobbyist software. This has its draw backs if the engine isn't running good. How accurate is the software, old knock sensor, ignition system barreling down the road? How many people have tuned their stock engine bearings out tuning on their own. Professionals with the right tools and feedback are a worthwhile investment. Or the tuner that runs 35psi on pump gas and is proud of it. Thats careless or not knowing any better. I've seen countless examples
4) Hang a big heavy twin/triple disk that doesn't slip to cause even more stress on the drivetrain. Clutch technology has gotten extremely good and affordable over the years. Something has to give.
5) The RS motors car has broken a few stock cranks IIRC. Its well tuned but I'd guess between a strong twin disk and chattering the tires on a loose road course surface its transmitting the shock into the crank and drivetrain.
6) Leverage/material limits.
7) A well balanced assembly . Remember, good and cheap hardly work out. Going to a machine shop that has a great reputation is worth the money. The engine builder also should have ALL the proper tools to check that work and assemble the engine.
8) TScomp uses and builds ALOT of 100mm Manley crank engines . He's tuned/built these cars for awhile and they seem to live well. If the crank was a problem would he continue to run it?
The big crank has its limits like anything else. With good tuning and parts selection it should live a decent life at moderate levels.
FWIW. I've got a Manley billet 94mm, ATI and well balanced assembly thats living well .

These cars are very rewarding if you take the time to research,build them and tune them correctly. Attention to detail always pays off.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torsional_vibration
A very well thought out reply, much appreciated! I did plan to use an upgraded dampener, as well as twin disk at 7/800hp. I am planing for failure I promise haha. GSC is assembling the top end and English is to do the bottom end. I am just sourcing the parts for the build. I'm not looking to cut corners or cheap out, and this is why I have opted for the billet or other crank.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 09:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by tscompusa
Hi Sean. Sorry we no longer offer the Manley forged crank anymore due to we have seen a failure from one of our customers. The journal cracked clean in half while the rest of the engine was intact. Thankfully this customer shut his engine off right away and it will be rebuilt by us with a better crank.

Other shops warned us about the Manley forged crank also, but I had to see it for myself before I completely eliminated the product from our engine program.

For forged cranks we will only use Eagle or OEM.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 09:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
If you have the money check out Winberg Crankshafts. They have crankshafts for the 4G63. A bit spendy though.

http://winbergcrankshafts.com/
Old Jul 17, 2017, 11:10 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by bboypuertoroc
I was referencing Billet. Evo guys are extremely abusive and need the strongest material/parts.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 11:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts
I was referencing Billet. Evo guys are extremely abusive and need the strongest material/parts.
I feel you. I haven't really heard issues with the billet crank, but the issues with the forged Manley cranks are enough to keep me away from anything Manley.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 01:06 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts
The billet cranks we have not seen fail yet, except for when a customer supplied us with a contaminated valve cover full of bead blasting material from a powder coat place I wont mention. They did not clean the valve cover after doing it, and it was a trap full of debri which ended up spinning a main bearing. After having that crank magnafluxed, we learned it cracked the journal.

This was a billet 100mm manley crank.

We have a bunch of very high HP 2.3's on billet manleys and no issues and they all have one thing in common

1. balanced
2. fluidampr crank pulleys
Kevin Troy (May 28, 2018)
Old Jul 17, 2017, 02:22 PM

Still have the crank for sale guys lol.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 08:44 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by fastspoolingsx
Still have the crank for sale guys lol.
You should build yourself a lamp.
Old May 1, 2018, 07:02 PM
Evolved Member

Unfortunately... my billet manley bit the dust..

Old May 1, 2018, 07:42 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by xRoguex
Unfortunately... my billet manley bit the dust..

What is the background on the car? Boost level, Power level, fuel, harmonic balancer, clutch? Everything has its limits. Even stock cranks can develop cracks.
2006EvoIXer (May 1, 2018)
Old May 1, 2018, 08:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 194 Likes on 182 Posts
Subscribed for updates!

Quick Reply: MANLEY prone to cracking?