Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo 6 - recondition engine or buy stroker kit?

Old Sep 19, 2017, 09:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo 6 - recondition engine or buy stroker kit?

Hi
I just bought a Evo 6. Current mods listed below.

Firstly theres a problem with the coolant. After end of a long drive coolant is leaking onto the ground under the expansion tank - water is being forced out of the top of the expansion tank. But the water is not hot and not overheating. Mechanic said probably small hole in head gasket, just keep topping it up with water (said don't bother topping with coolant?) since we are probably going to open the engine later to add mods so don't waste time and money changing gasket now.

I live in northern Thailand and theres no rolling road to test a AWD here so not really sure exact HP. Mechanic said about 300.

Hes advising me next step is to buy 1000cc or 1200 cc injectors. I haven't seen any talk on the stick here for modding mentioning bigger injectors. This increases power and lets me run E85 (which is subsidised by government here quite a bit cheaper than E20 its currently running. He said this is the next step and good bang for buck power wise.

The car has 200k kms on the clock. The engine block seems to be original for the car, but I have no way of knowing if the engines been rebuilt, pistons, cams or what replaced or not.

My question is that if im going to take head off engine to change gasket (hoping its gasket and not cracked block (is that common)? then we should examine the condition of the engine? Is it good practice to recondition the engine (labour is very cheap here but parts are very expensive due to import tax). If so should I recondition it with standard evo pistons etc or put in a stroker kit? Is installing a stroker kit a good starting point for rebuilding an engine? What else would I need to replace apart from by using the parts in the 2.3l stroker kit? Or should I just rebuild it with standard Evo parts (how much does that cost even). Theres no evidence of engine problems not burning oil no knocks or strange noises, no pressing reason to rebuild the engine except that I'm just wondering to go all out now and rebuild it now as it might be cheaper in long run to do it all now?

Im sorry for all the noob questions... here is a list of the mods, where am I as a starting point? What should I do next? Id like to get about 450 HP from this with a view to ending the project there.

Arc heat shield
Roose Motorsport ancillary pipes
Blitz racing air filter
HKS blow off valve
Works engineering fuel rail
HKS twin plate clutch
HKS boost gauge
Profec b boost controller
Warlbro 255 fuel pump
Apexi Neo engine manager
HKS fconV ecu (Gold)
Aftermarket Pipes
Blitz turbo timer
Zaklee cam gear cover
Recent work:
New clutch
New cam sensor
New fuel pipe
New fuel pump
New drivers window motor
Decat (catalytic converter removed)

Last edited by DiemTea; Sep 19, 2017 at 09:47 AM.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 01:10 AM
Evolving Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
You can do a 2.3 stroker kit fairly cheap

7 bolt oem 100mm crank from 4g64
85.25 piston are on sale for stroker at about 425 usd
some cheapo h beam rods should be fine for your power goals around 350.00 usd
Old Sep 20, 2017, 04:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
If the compression checks out ok, just convert it to E85, put your injectors in and have fun until it needs a rebuild then stroke it and up spec the turbo. Don't waste money until it needs it. And yes to get to the bottom of that coolant leak it, it might not be a big deal but needs to be fixed.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 04:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
You've blown the head gasket. Stud it and throw on a new gasket. May need the head machined flat.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 10:27 PM
Account Disabled

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Just retorque the head.

It's an easy fix if you catch it early enough.
If it doesn't work , it's because you left it too long and kept on topping up with water which makes it worse with corrosion.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by evo8vz
You can do a 2.3 stroker kit fairly cheap

7 bolt oem 100mm crank from 4g64
85.25 piston are on sale for stroker at about 425 usd
some cheapo h beam rods should be fine for your power goals around 350.00 usd
Thanks for this. Can you point me more in the right direction? Where/which parts exactly thank you
Old Oct 14, 2017, 12:50 PM

Good luck with the project