Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Trying to install OEM steering wheel, how bad is this?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2017, 09:46 PM
S30

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Trying to install OEM steering wheel, how bad is this?

I bought my car with an NRG quick release and a Personal wheel already installed. I’m not a fan of this setup and want to go back to the car’s original wheel. When I went to install it, first I noticed the clockspring is mangled and I don’t have the right bolt (got an M8x1.25 30mm) but further, it looks like there is a broken bolt in the steering wheel.

Has anyone disassembled one of these wheels? Also, what the heck size/length bolt do I need?
Attached Thumbnails Trying to install OEM steering wheel, how bad is this?-e49df40a-7973-4ba7-959f-3d6406742e48.jpeg  
Old Nov 1, 2017, 07:05 AM
Evolving Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
They are Hex head from the factory. If there is a nut/bolt in there someone put it there.

I am not sure on the specifics for the bolt itself.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 10:28 AM
S30

Minor update; I can confirm that I am a dummy.

The hex "bolt" that appears in the photo is actually inside of the cylinder/clamp that attaches the wheel to the car. So I don't think the bolt is intended to come out, you simply loosen it to remove the wheel without removing the bolt from the cylinder.

I'm waiting on a new clock spring because the PO of my car hacked it up when installing this NRG thing. I'll update the thread when/if I confirm how the steering wheel install works.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 11:44 AM

Yeah, those clock springs are pretty delicate. I ruined one before even being pretty careful.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 11:50 AM
S30

I need to get yet another clock spring, either the one I replaced my broken one with was already damaged, or I broke it pretty much immediately.

The SRS light is on and my horn doesn't work, so I'm assuming I broke something...at least it's nice to have the stock steering wheel on the car.