Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Need some opinion on rebuilt title evo 9

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2018, 04:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Need some opinion on rebuilt title evo 9

Hello,
I’m looking to purchase a GG EVO 9, it’s got 80k with REBUILT TITLE. I know, like everybody say, wait for a clean titled one to come around. But this one could be a great deal, I’m not really worried about the resale value but the condition and drivability of it.
Im sorry it’s gonna be a little long, so here it is.
I’ve been talking to the seller for sometime and he has been pretty transparent and helpful about the car. So a little history that we know, the car was rear ended at some point by the previous owner and it was totaled by the insurance and fixed professionally by the shop (no pictures or receipts or any records of it from previous owner though).
I did not purchase a carfax or auto check yet (they’re so expensive just for one report) but I went and look at those free vin check report and it pulled out a record of the car was from a salvage auction with front end damage. So we were thinking that the car rear ended a car and also got rear ended by another car(Ouch!).
As of now, the car seems to be in immaculate condition front end all straight and lined up, the trunk and rear bumper are straight as well. No signs of it has been in an accident at all. No frame damage that the seller know about. He got an alignment for it and it all checks out. So yeah, what do you guys think? Give me some input and comments please.

Also, is there any of you guys that have access to a carfax and can pull one for me? I’m not sure how accurate carfax is but it would help. PM me and I’ll provide you the VIN.
Thank you all!
Old Jan 26, 2018, 05:06 PM

It’s my first thread so please be forgiving haha.
Btw we’re planning to take the car to Boosting Performance to get it inspected.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 05:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 109 Likes on 99 Posts
probably best to pay the money and get the car fax.

Pull the carpet out of the rear and see if you can see the damage.

look all under the car for crumpled metal.

look around under the hood for bent up frame rails or cross member.

look under the car for any unibody damage or damage to any of the core support or a arms.

if the guy has the print out from the alignment that would be awesome, so you know the car is straight and it wont wear out tires.

good luck!!
Old Jan 26, 2018, 10:00 PM
Evolving Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I would pass on this car. There are good Evos out there with clean titles and even ones with fender benders. The fact it has a salvage title and looks good sounds to me that you are a little impatient and eager to buy. The seller is hoping for someone like you to come along. Look elsewhere, you can find a good Evo and be ready to jump on it when you see it.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 03:51 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The CarFax report really isn't expensive if you consider the amount you're going to be investing in the car. Pennies on the dollar...

Granted, you still need to be vigilant when examining the car, even with a "clean" CarFax. We bought a Honda Fit for my son with a "clean" report, but it had obviously been in an accident or two (one replaced headlight, passenger front fender replaced, etc.) The price was right, though, and no functional damage, so it all worked out.

Like others are saying, don't rush in...just go with your instincts. If anything makes you feel iffy or uncertain, walk away and look for another example.

Happy hunting!!!
Old Jan 27, 2018, 07:08 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
if everything looks/sounds good to you, the test drive was fine, and you would otherwise buy it, take it to boostin, let them do the ppi, then maybe take the added step of having a collision repair place look it over, and if that all comes back good then I wouldn't see any problems pulling the trigger. Obviously you know the value will be less because of the tittle and insurance might be a little trickier in your state. IF the deal is good though and you are willing to put in the extra effort on the front end to really make sure what you are buying is what you think it is then I say go for it.

On another note though, buying an evo is cheap, owning one is not. They require expensive maintenance and go through expensive wear parts fairly quickly. Make sure you account for cost of ownership as well as the initial purchase cost in your equation when deciding if the evo is right for you. Make sure to check what your insurance rates will be so you don't run into any surprises.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 06:05 PM

Thanks everybody for all the inputs! So as it turns out, I was able to get the carfax and it shows 6 owners. I think I’m leaning towards waiting for another one. And actually one of the member here is selling one, hopefully will be able to make it happens.
ill update with a new thread whenever I get my evo.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 10:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EvoluznCT9A
Thanks everybody for all the inputs! So as it turns out, I was able to get the carfax and it shows 6 owners. I think I’m leaning towards waiting for another one. And actually one of the member here is selling one, hopefully will be able to make it happens.
ill update with a new thread whenever I get my evo.
If the last owner also had it for a year or less you might wonder why? probably something costly came up. But yea, I am gonna be looking I hope in summer and am gonna stray from non clean title cars, less chance of a headache
Old Feb 27, 2018, 04:33 PM

Alright, I’m still considering the car and seller is selling this for 16.5.
The photos might not be the best angle but if you guys can kinda scan through and see something that worth noticing. And if the rust is that bad as well.

Old Feb 27, 2018, 04:35 PM

So this is a photo where previous owner bought the car out of an insurance auction lot.
Cant really how bad the rear damage is but this is the only hint I got.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 04:44 PM

Still thinking about it, who knows it’s not a bad of a deal and decent evo, I know I’m gambling it. But either this or I’m gonna wait it up til spring or summer til a better one comes along.
There are other evos I’m looking at too mostly are 8s but haven’t found the right 9.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 05:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 109 Likes on 99 Posts
looks like most the damage in the rear.
i cant see that there is much damage inside the trunk (hard to tell from pictures).
you can see a little bent sheet metal under the car.. but not bad.

i think the rust looks about normal.. not excessive at all.

timing belt looks like original so will need now up to 100,000 miles depending on how you feel about that.

i would say the car worth around 15,000... only my opinion.

good luck.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 05:32 PM

Yeah it does look like the original belt, I’m just worried that it can snap anytime. I’m not quite sure how long does it usually last. The seller is going to change oil and all the drivetrain fluids and just put brand new all season tires. So I thought it’s a good deal. It seems pretty legit. But perhaps I’ll take it to a body shop to have it inspected.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 05:33 PM

Yes it was rear ended, I attached a pic of the car when as it was sitting in auction lot.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 08:29 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
$16.5k is too much for that car, IMO (unless the car has really low mileage). I once bought an Evo with the same damage. I replaced frame extensions, pulled the radiator support, etc and the car drove fine. This was before prices were stupid, but I had about $13k into it with 57k miles. It also had zero rust. If the alignment checks out (none of the settings are at/near max to achieve spec) and it drives solid, then it should be fine. I have no problem with owning salvaged vehicles, if they are done right.
Good luck!

Quick Reply: Need some opinion on rebuilt title evo 9