Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Holes in rear chassis legs, worth replacing?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2018, 09:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Holes in rear chassis legs, worth replacing?

Out of curiosity, I have noticed a few extreme rust posts floating around the forums. I have had my front sub frame replaced under the recall and the dealer did note that my "rear frame" had holes in it. The car is extremely rusty underneath structure wise. Body wise, the car is flawless. No rust in hinges, no rust under hood, no rust on rear quarters, no rust under wing, nothing. The car looks extremely clean on the exterior but you would be "wowed" by how rusted it is underneath.

I don't have any plans on fixing the rear half of the car, but was curious as far as cost goes or if anyone has done the body work themselves. Perhaps I should just wait for another recall, if they recalled the front perhaps they will recall the rear at some point. I am not sure if the dealer I took the car to filed anything but the service writer did say this was a safety concern and would keep me posted (this was a year ago, I didn't think much of it to begin with, I was just glad I got a new front sub frame and control arms)

Note: This is a 2003 with 145k miles, I moved from WI to CA with it (CA performed the rust recall) but the car really hasn't been driven THAT much in Midwest winters, I've owned it for a few years and was aware it did have rust underneath but at the time of visual inspection prior to purchasing it didn't appear as extreme. Even when it was, it was always washed up and parked away majority of the time, hence the excellent exterior condition.

My main concern is, at some point in the near future I feel I will be needing to replace rusted fuel lines and fuel neck and it is going to be and extreme pain in my *** and I will end up replacing everything. but if a recall is out, and they break all my lines, its a win win for me.

Old Apr 6, 2018, 10:17 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Yeah, for sure, that car was not orig from Calif. Looks like road di-icing chemical attack

If youre going to keep it, wonder what a good body shop would charge for a clean-u, re-coating & repair of those frame run-up members? A complete re-bush might be in order as well

As an afterthought, I doubt Mitsu would initiate a recall on the run-up members
Old Apr 6, 2018, 10:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Take a look at the Mustie1 youtube channel, specifically his VW work. Mustie was once a dealership mechanic, then a welder. Now, he works out of his own shop making youtube content. Anyway, he likes to work on Volkswagens and since he lives in New England they're all rust buckets and he patches them up.