Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central
View Poll Results: If buying an evo 9, what is your preference?
$ Stock evo 9
73.91%
$$ Mild build (valve job and bolt ons)
26.09%
$$$ Wild (basic engine build)
4.35%
$$$$ Wild (engine build with bells and whistles)
13.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

What is in higher demand?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2018, 12:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 194 Likes on 182 Posts
Post What is in higher demand?

If you have a choice of stock evo 9 or a fresh build of your choice, which would you rather have? Stock, mild, or wild?
Old Jul 10, 2018, 07:18 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Don

Mixed emotions on this. As much as I like all the Mods, buying an unmolested EvO would be great & starting over again. Would likely not keep it stock

But buying a fully modded EvO (built motor, trans, front & rear end diffs) would be fun as well

But, whats in higher demand would likely be the stock "Unicorn" type EvO. More inherent value!

Last edited by MinusPrevious; Jul 10, 2018 at 07:27 AM.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 07:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
good question. i like stock but at the same time it would be nice if all the little standard **** was knocked out already
Old Jul 10, 2018, 08:02 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
I think ideally most would want a bone stock, but the price people are asking for those is pretty high, so i think the demand for a more reasonably priced slightly modded evo puts them in higher demand.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 09:16 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the quick replies. I'm asking because I found a really nice evo 9 body with blown engine. I plan to restore it with stock engine. I'd love to build the engine before installing it but I don't see people paying for a build. I can fix this so many ways but I think stock brings me the most return. And yes, my wife will kill me when she sees a tow truck dropping this car off!
Old Jul 10, 2018, 09:23 AM
Evolved Member

My first plan was to build my K1 crank/Carrillo rods/Manley pistons motor and throw it in this new evo 9 and beef up tranny/TC/rear diff. Then I added up the cost with this car and realized there's no way I can keep it.

So now I'm thinking I'll keep my race engine for my original evo and rebuild this 2nd evo to sell. This 2nd evo has a better paint job and I REALLY want to keep it...but either this 2nd evo goes or my wife will go (I already know before she says it!)
Old Jul 10, 2018, 09:34 AM
Evolved Member

I forgot to mention that this 2nd evo doesn't have any rust and has a clean title.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 09:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
It seems you already have your answer but figured I too would chime in. If your intent is to purchase this evo to flip it do not build a new motor. Instead find a good OEM longblock drop it in and call it a day. Not only will the motor be far less expensive to source but it should also fetch more money over a built motor. I mean the rotating assembly you mentioned is like 3k alone at least, not even including machining costs.

If this chassis you are looking at is as clean as you say, have you considered keeping that one instead and selling yours? Parts can be replaced but when it comes to finding a clean shell that is something that you cant exactly replicate. Sure you can cut out and repair but once again at what cost?
Old Jul 10, 2018, 10:00 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by heel2toe
It seems you already have your answer but figured I too would chime in. If your intent is to purchase this evo to flip it do not build a new motor. Instead find a good OEM longblock drop it in and call it a day. Not only will the motor be far less expensive to source but it should also fetch more money over a built motor. I mean the rotating assembly you mentioned is like 3k alone at least, not even including machining costs.

If this chassis you are looking at is as clean as you say, have you considered keeping that one instead and selling yours? Parts can be replaced but when it comes to finding a clean shell that is something that you cant exactly replicate. Sure you can cut out and repair but once again at what cost?
That's exactly why I'm struggling with this. My evo was bought brand new from dealer but after 5 years of being garaged, I started filling up garage and left my car in driveway. That killed my roof clear coat. I want to build this 2nd evo to keep and sell my original evo but my wife won't like me selling our first evo (and I feel like I'm abandoning my baby too). My evo has 61k miles and this has 85k. I want to keep both but my wallet has been bled dry with my engine build.
And I do have a low mile longblock coming, but it just feels wrong to install it with oem rods.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 10:23 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by 2006EvoIXer
That's exactly why I'm struggling with this. My evo was bought brand new from dealer but after 5 years of being garaged, I started filling up garage and left my car in driveway. That killed my roof clear coat. I want to build this 2nd evo to keep and sell my original evo but my wife won't like me selling our first evo (and I feel like I'm abandoning my baby too). My evo has 61k miles and this has 85k. I want to keep both but my wallet has been bled dry with my engine build.
And I do have a low mile longblock coming, but it just feels wrong to install it with oem rods.
If your the original owner of yours keep it. That makes it worth more especially as it ages.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 10:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
If your the original owner of yours keep it. That makes it worth more especially as it ages.
I am.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 10:54 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
That makes it worth more especially as it ages.

Yes, Don is aging, if that is what you meant

Old Jul 10, 2018, 10:58 AM
Evolved Member

I'll do a complete check on engine to make sure it's healthy. Then install and change all the fluids. I'll even throw in O2 housing, FMIC, and exhaust. I have my oem injectors freshly cleaned.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 10:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
Yes, Don is aging, if that is what you meant
Old Jul 10, 2018, 11:00 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by 2006EvoIXer
Ive got more age than you, so i win, I think

Quick Reply: What is in higher demand?