Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Safety recall questions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2018, 02:45 PM
Evolving Member

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Safety recall questions

So I’ve got three open recalls
Passenger side airbag
Cross member
Reprogramming of Ecu

I called up the local dealer and they said that they need to remove my dash and what not.
I’m pretty concerned about this as I have my gauges set in the dash and I honestly I don’t trust the dealer with my car. I need to have this replaced as I do often travel with my family and now I’m paranoid about something happening.

Has anyone had this stuff done? If so did you just remove your gauges or what?
Can I tell them NOT to touch my Ecu? The dude on the phone tried to act all tough saying they would do it regardless but I don't want them messing up my tune.

Thoughts? Tips? (Other than disabling the airbag which I am not interested in doing)

Last edited by Welcome2GoodBur; Jul 27, 2018 at 03:02 PM.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 03:35 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
your in luck, there is an active thread on this topic here https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ryone-srs.html
The following users liked this post:
Welcome2GoodBur (Jul 27, 2018)
Old Jul 27, 2018, 04:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can decline a recall they will just make you sign a waver that they are not responsible if something happen due to the recall not performed
The following users liked this post:
Welcome2GoodBur (Jul 27, 2018)
Old Jul 27, 2018, 04:40 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
your in luck, there is an active thread on this topic here https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ryone-srs.html
Cool I actually found that one after posting this. I was more just wondering what all I should remove myself; the consensus seems to be to remove as much as I can before hand, and document everything in great detail. I will drive out to talk to a service manager this week, and until then not let anyone ride shotgun.

Gonna have to take a lot of gauges out, but fortunately they were wired properly so shouldn't be much of a hassle for them.
Thanks!
Old Jul 27, 2018, 06:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 109 Likes on 99 Posts
if you are driving this car with a passenger, you need to unplug that air bag NOW.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 07:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts
Im about to go through this next thursday. Ive been holding off on it for the same reason because i dont want them touching the car but i hve no choice since i have a pregnant wife and kids that ride in the car and i cant let them ride until i fix it. I went to the dealer to talk to them and they seemed very hesitant to want to do it. They brought a tech from the back and the guy tried to tell me because theres a chance gauges and alarm wiring may be a mess he may have to charge me. I said **** no! I will take off the gauges and radio but do not cut any wiring underneath the dash. Idk, i need to figure out how to put this into valet mode so in case the tech gets the bright idea of taking it for a ride it cant go over a certain rpm.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 07:25 PM

the main problem with aftermarket stuff is its installed with the dash all together. So unless the installer is paying attention its really easy to weave some wires or a harness around something that then makes it not possible to disassemble the dash without removing/rerunning the wiring. If I was the tech and you where my customer I would basically tell you that I would do my best, but if I ran into a situation that required more then 15 minutes to get around then either I'm billing you to fix it, or im putting everything back together and you can take it where ever you want to fix it and bring it back to me so i can finish the job. I get it, Mitsubishi screwed up and they should have to deal with it, but in fairness if you or some previous owner has modified the car in a way that makes it not serviceable then that issue is on you to remedy IMO.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 07:41 PM
Evolved Member

Yes but lets be honest, when in the hell has anyone ever had to service the igniter on an airbag? No one thought this would happen. This problem is on them. I get it, the car didnt come like that from factory but they were expensive as all hell when released and still are today. They didnt give out breaks when selling these cars new with possible future defective airbags. My car and all of these cars are out of warranty so i modify my car the way i want to. Im sure it never crossed anyones mind we would have to have dash removed for airbag recall. I am willing to help the tech as much as possible by removing stuff and zip tying it to the side/label as much as i can but at the end of the day this is a big inconvenience. I have to miss work to take my car in and take time to dismantle my car to make their job easier because the company mitsu hired for the airbags ****ed up. I get it, the tech is trying to make a living just like me but dont tell me i have to pay because you may have had to move a couple extra wires to the side. Mitsu should take care of that.

Last edited by nor11384; Jul 27, 2018 at 07:48 PM.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 09:57 PM
Evolving Member

I don’t see any reason why anyone would pay. I’d just call Mitsubishi corporate problem solved.
And yeah until I get this fixed no more passengers. I didn’t know this was a thing until I got my mailer.

Ill just talk with a service manager and then pray for the best. Gonna take out my steering wheel mounted gauges, my groupe pod and all pods for a bit. Zip tie what I can and hope it all works after.

And yeah i agree. I love em to death but this was Mitsu’s issue and I FULLY expect them to do this one way or another, regardless of my gauges and wires.
I don’t think the argument “well the passeneger wouldn’t have died if we fixed it, but we couldn’t fix an AIRBAG (majooor safety issue) because of a few wires we weren’t smart enough to not cut” would hold up well in court 🤔🤔
Old Jul 27, 2018, 10:03 PM

the same corporate that was creeping through customers Facebook pages to proactively void their warranty....im sure they will make everything better

Originally Posted by nor11384
Yes but lets be honest, when in the hell has anyone ever had to service the igniter on an airbag? No one thought this would happen. This problem is on them. I get it, the car didnt come like that from factory but they were expensive as all hell when released and still are today. They didnt give out breaks when selling these cars new with possible future defective airbags. My car and all of these cars are out of warranty so i modify my car the way i want to. Im sure it never crossed anyones mind we would have to have dash removed for airbag recall. I am willing to help the tech as much as possible by removing stuff and zip tying it to the side/label as much as i can but at the end of the day this is a big inconvenience. I have to miss work to take my car in and take time to dismantle my car to make their job easier because the company mitsu hired for the airbags ****ed up. I get it, the tech is trying to make a living just like me but dont tell me i have to pay because you may have had to move a couple extra wires to the side. Mitsu should take care of that.
There are plenty of things behind the dash that would require disassembly to repair. Like i was saying and what it sounds like he was saying if its not a big deal its not a big deal. He said If there is a mess he may have to charge you. If its really as simple as moving some cables out of the way then thats not a big deal. If on the other hand you have a potential fire hazard back there then you shouldn't expect them to fix it all for free. All it sounds like to me is he was just preparing you in case he found a horror show back there. I feel strongly if you had seen some of the stuff i have seen you would understand where he is coming from.

Last edited by Biggiesacks; Jul 27, 2018 at 10:31 PM.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 09:59 AM
Evolved Member

No, I understand. I read the other thread and I saw some pictures of what they may encounter. The tech seemed like a nice guy so I’m hoping for the best. I will try my best to make it easy for him but I just don’t know what the owners before me may have done in there. The thought of having to pay for this just really bothers me.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 09:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I pulled wverything but the 10mm bolts holding the dash itself

Dealer did the job but the center of the dash was not seated properly. They missed the clip and i unbolted the dash and installed it correctly. Then put all the other parts in place

I have a ton of aftermarket wiring in my car. It is all very neat, labeled and with connectors for servicing but I didnt trust they would take the same level of care as the original install so I removed everything first . The car has a high quality audio system and I couldnt let rattles ruin it . in the end they should have just given me the parts.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 09:43 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah I wish they can just give us the igniter but they can’t. I will try and dismantle as much as I can myself but then this question comes to mind. What if because of the cars’ age and being in Florida something on the dash is dry rotted or old and I break it taking it apart. I rather they do it and replace it if it breaks. If it wasn’t because of this airbag issue my dash would’ve prob not come off at least while I own the car.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 10:06 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BillAce

I pulled wverything but the 10mm bolts holding the dash itself

Dealer did the job but the center of the dash was not seated properly. They missed the clip and i unbolted the dash and installed it correctly. Then put all the other parts in place

I have a ton of aftermarket wiring in my car. It is all very neat, labeled and with connectors for servicing but I didnt trust they would take the same level of care as the original install so I removed everything first . The car has a high quality audio system and I couldnt let rattles ruin it . in the end they should have just given me the parts.

Perfect that’s exacty what I was looking for. I’ll most likely have to do this.

What about the wideband? Can I run it unpowered just by unplugging the gauge or is it best to remove from Downpipe as well so it doesn’t fry it
Old Jul 29, 2018, 07:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I have an AEM EMS UEGO that the wideband plugs into. I plugged in a laptop with a gauge display setup to monitor things until I put it back together

Quick Reply: Safety recall questions