Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Seat belt buckle issue

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2018, 04:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seat belt buckle issue

I was getting in my car to go home today and my drivers side buckle was locked and I could not put my seat belt on... so I hooked into the passenger buckle.

i noticed my seat belt chime wasn’t going off as well. When I got home, I took the seat out, took the buckle off and noticed that the wire from the buckle going to the computer unit was really tight and had been tugging on the seat belt.

Im assuming over the last year it’s eventually pulled the small housing apart you’ll find where the wires go into the base of the buckle. I more or less just twisted it back into place and the buckle magically works now.

however... no seat belt light chimes if I don’t buckle. I’m wondering if something g malfunctioned with the buckle ? Anybody else experience this ?

I have done a seat swap, it’s the original buckle. Like I said, I think the wire not having much slack pulled the unit apart at the base and messed it up.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 08:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
The early us Evo did not have redundant buckle switches like later cars. When you buckle the belt, it breaks the circuit (whereas later cars in addition to that a second switch is normally open and when you buckle it completes a second circuit).
This is why you can just unplug the Evo 8 buckle connections and the chime will never bother you again.