Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Help reviewing an evo

Old Aug 8, 2018, 05:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help reviewing an evo

Anybody willing to take a look at an evo I’m checking out (a few minute long videos) and give me an honest assessment and how much it should be worth/ what I should pay for it?
Old Aug 8, 2018, 06:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts
Post the videos, i'm sure people will chime in
Old Aug 8, 2018, 08:28 PM

Attached Files
Old Aug 8, 2018, 08:35 PM

Wouldn’t let me upload them for some reason, so I uploaded them here

Old Aug 8, 2018, 10:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts
How many miles is on it and how much is he asking, looks clean outside, seats look worn as they sometimes are with a car this old. That engine bay looks dirty for me, i like to keep my engine bay clean, hows i care about my cars internals a bit. Does he have maintenance records etc.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by huzzle101
How many miles is on it and how much is he asking, looks clean outside, seats look worn as they sometimes are with a car this old. That engine bay looks dirty for me, i like to keep my engine bay clean, hows i care about my cars internals a bit. Does he have maintenance records etc.
56k. He says he ha receipts from when the previous owner “Believe it's a competition twin, one without the hydraulic throw out bearing. It was installed before I bought the car, should be on the receipts from when the last owner had a bunch of stuff installed on the car by jms. So that's a yes to the paper work. Yes the title is clean. 561xx original miles. I've had the car for two years and I put 6k on it.
It just has bolt ons, which means the same thing as every other evo; intercooler piping, an old school ams 4" IC, and a full exhaust. also it has walbro 340(not a double pumper), gsc s2's with springs, and has been in e85 solely for atleast 3 years(not dual map)”

only things he has pointed out to me wrong is “There is some wetness around the injectors that's been there since I bought it, there was a fuel leak before I bought it and I never cleaned it up. Mainly because I have a built 4g64 and a head games head that I've had forever waiting to be thrown in
Old Aug 9, 2018, 01:52 AM

He said he would put the radio in today to verify function for me. Those are the the only issues he has listed to me

Last edited by Momentum1; Aug 9, 2018 at 02:34 AM.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 06:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
Car idles SUPER high when started. Starts fine, but way high initial idle.

Also, it's dirty. No way that car has 56k on it. And rusty. Not sure where it was originally from, but it sure as heck wasn't Texas.

I wouldn't pay more than 13-14k for it. Yea, it's low, but I don't want to deal with all the headaches it sounds like this car will bring with it.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by llDemonll
Car idles SUPER high when started. Starts fine, but way high initial idle.

Also, it's dirty. No way that car has 56k on it. And rusty. Not sure where it was originally from, but it sure as heck wasn't Texas.

I wouldn't pay more than 13-14k for it. Yea, it's low, but I don't want to deal with all the headaches it sounds like this car will bring with it.
asking price currently is 18k. I did notice how super dirty and high the idle was at start. And he mentioned a wiring issue at one point that he said was resolved. Didn’t notice rust, I’d have to take a look again at the vids. And my main concern is having a good running evo initially. Last thing I want to do is pay 15k+ and have a headache. I’ve had one of those before which is why I brought this to the experts in evo matters lol. Thank you for your input
Old Aug 9, 2018, 09:16 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
A couple of stand outs to me:

The A/C can't work perfect and not work.
The stereo isn't in the car so that doesn't work, and the one he has might be junk too.
I remember back in the day there was an issue with exhausts rubbing against the T-Case so that might be whats going on there. You would want to call that out to the shop doing your PPI so they can verify its not going to be an issue.
It sounds like it has some unresolved electrical issues, also something to call out if you move ahead to the PPI stage.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 01:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
FWIW I sold my car for 17.5k

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sa...mac-black.html

0 issues with the car. Nothing mechanical, nothing electrical, nothing wrong with anything. Didn't burn or leak a drop of oil. Front end showed some wear, it was a daily driver with 130k on it, but largest rock chip was about 3/16" - 1/4" diameter.

That should give you some idea of how overpriced this car is. Mileage means nothing on these cars if they were maintained.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 01:12 PM

Needed someone to help me not make a bad decision, I appreciate the input. I think i will hold off on one until around tax time to get myself in a better position to buy one without any problems and one that’s been better taken care of
Old Aug 13, 2018, 11:59 AM
Evolving Member

Location: Driving ten under in the passing lane, right turn signal on at all times.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My advice comes from the V8 musclecar world., but I believe can apply to any other car.

Get yourself a car with as straight a body as possible. Engines can be rebuilt better than new, transmissions can be replaced, suspensions upgraded. An interior that "just needs some TLC" will cost only a little less to restore than one that was used as a henhouse or a wolverine cage.

But bodywork is different. Bodywork is expensive, and once the body goes south, it is very hard to ever make it as good as it was from the factory.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 12:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 77 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by llDemonll
FWIW I sold my car for 17.5k

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sa...mac-black.html

0 issues with the car. Nothing mechanical, nothing electrical, nothing wrong with anything. Didn't burn or leak a drop of oil. Front end showed some wear, it was a daily driver with 130k on it, but largest rock chip was about 3/16" - 1/4" diameter.

That should give you some idea of how overpriced this car is. Mileage means nothing on these cars if they were maintained.
IMO that only shows that you sold yours at a lower price than you could've had for it, especially since it is a 9 and an SE. That car would have no problem selling for $20k or more, in the current market. It's a matter of several factors though, including timing and how bad you want to move it, whether you want to deal with shipping, how well you are advertising/marketing it, etc.

Search this Thread