Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Need your advice for a US version in Italy

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2018, 10:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need your advice for a US version in Italy

Hi Im luciano from Milano and I m thinking about buying a US version here in italy with 54000 miles. I know the VIN nr. of the car, maybe (sice you are in US) you can help me know something more about the car that was imported in 2015.
Here the number
JA3AH86C86U015150
Thank you and hope to share the pictures with you soon once i buy it.-
Have a nice day
Luciano.-
Old Aug 22, 2018, 11:56 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Ciao Luciano

If you click on the VIN, the decoder gives the basic car specs. Its a 2006 EVO9 w/the MIVEC head

Do you have a link we can look at (pics of the car) ?

Welcome, Joe
Old Aug 23, 2018, 05:53 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Luciano

Per your request, heres how to post pics. Very simple

See link here: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...e-hosting.html
Old Aug 23, 2018, 06:31 AM

Here they are

thank you very much, the fact is that I’ve never bought a car with any modifications and you know I’m alittle afraid for that even if I trust the guy that’s selling it (already got it as part of payments for another Evo) looking forward to join your community with the black Evo
thank you
L.

Old Aug 23, 2018, 06:33 AM

Other pics

Ill see The car in 2 weeks personally
Old Aug 23, 2018, 07:08 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Looks pretty clean. I do see a few things that are worth mentioning
  • Looks like the trunk lining was cut to access the upper rear shocks?
  • I see a Wiesco piston decal on the valve cover. Was the engine rebuilt?
  • Timing belt cover is slightly damaged & there is a carbon fiber piece attached to it. Some kind of decorative add-on. Its possible, it had a carbon fiber timing belt cover that has been removed (Timing belt changed in 2016?)
  • Intercooler piping has silicone couplers
  • JDM rear bumper cover
  • Cant see the fuel injectors to see if they are aftermarket
Definitely got to get this up on the rack to see underneath

Looks clean enough to consider purchasing

Last edited by MinusPrevious; Aug 23, 2018 at 12:19 PM.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 08:02 AM

Thank you very much !!!! With what you told me ill ask and let you know. Is there something else to check? Hope the Miles are correct and weren't modified, and the engine was not rebuilt. As I told you, The transfer has to be changed.
Ill keep you updated.
L.-
Old Aug 23, 2018, 12:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 77 Likes on 52 Posts
The front end of the car has been repainted at minimum, if this is a USDM car. In the US, it would have VIN stickers visible on the front bumper, and the fenders, when the hood is open. You can run a Carfax if you want, and it may show you some info from when the car was in the U.S.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 12:18 PM
Evolved Member

Also, it is likely the car was returned to stock. That happens often. The timing cover is straight from the junkyard, as the blue writing on it is a junkyard thing.

Missing the bottom hood grill. Those look to be homemade JDM taillights too.

Depending on price, it could be a good deal. Your best bet is finding someone local to you who knows the cars and can check this out for you since you don't seem to have much experience with them.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 12:21 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

^^^Good eye Brother!!!
Old Aug 23, 2018, 12:22 PM
Evolved Member

I just looked up the VIN with a proper USDM Mitsubishi VIN decoder. This car originally had the SSL package. It is missing the SSL interior - leather seats, leather door cards (it looks like anyway), the subwoofer, and the HID headlights it should've had with that model.

The fact the proper headlights are missing, along with no VIN stickers on the fenders and bumper, says it was likely wrecked. I wonder if they brought over a salvage title car and were able to register it there somehow as non-salvage.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 12:32 PM
Evolved Member

It doesn't look like the car has a sunroof. Does it? I wonder if it is the correct VIN, or if it was VIN-swapped as well at some point. I see a VIN sticker on the trunk. Should be VIN stickers on each door and the driver b-pillar at the bottom by the side skirt. The most important thing for you to do at this point is to find out whether that is the right VIN for the car, and go from there, before spending any money on having someone else look it over. Check the VIN stickers yourself.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 03:43 PM

WOW!!!! Thank you all for your messages. As you can see I know nothing about Evos , (I have other kind of cars).
Ill check in 2 weeks personally everything you told me about the VIN. The car had the mushroom air intake that was removed, electronics and BOV.
It has no sunroof and at this point the theories are 2: or it was VIN swapped or it had a bad crash and was rebuilt...
The price is ok, even if I have to redo the transfer and clutch, But I would like to be sure (or almost) that the car is ok and with the right miles on it...
Waht do you mean by the blu writting... (did not get it...)
Thank you very very much and Ill keep you updated with this adventure
Have a nice day
Luciano.-
Old Aug 23, 2018, 05:09 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Lvcivs
WOW!!!! Thank you all for your messages. As you can see I know nothing about Evos , (I have other kind of cars).
Ill check in 2 weeks personally everything you told me about the VIN. The car had the mushroom air intake that was removed, electronics and BOV.
It has no sunroof and at this point the theories are 2: or it was VIN swapped or it had a bad crash and was rebuilt...
The price is ok, even if I have to redo the transfer and clutch, But I would like to be sure (or almost) that the car is ok and with the right miles on it...
Have a nice day
Luciano.-

Junkyards or guys who take evos apart and sell them as scrap will usually label the parts with a marker for reference and inventory reasons. Chances are, someone bought that time chain cover from the junk yard, which really isn’t a big deal since they are easy to break.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 05:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Lvcivs
Have a nice day
Luciano.-
It is highly likely it was VIN swapped then if it doesn't have a sunroof. I doubt anyone would've put in the effort to remove that sunroof or fill it in. To do it right would require a lot of work to change out the roof. SSL package included sunroof.

And like the other poster above said, they use markers to inventory junk yard parts. It isn't a deal breaker that it was replaced, but it just likely means it was modded more than you've been told as it is.