Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

How Do I Fix My Bumper?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2018, 10:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How Do I Fix My Bumper?

I just bought my 2005 Evo 8 MR a couple of weeks ago and the front bumper on the left side isn’t attached it looks like. What parts do I need to get to fix this and how do I fix it?

Last edited by USMC Brad; Sep 7, 2018 at 10:26 PM.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 10:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old Sep 7, 2018, 11:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts
I took my bumper off the other day and right there is a screw that holds it up. Take off the bumper completely and see if there is anything wrong.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 07:08 AM
Evolving Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Start by bending that bracket back up, and you can run a nut/bolt through that hole instead of the plastic nut. That will bring it back up.
The following users liked this post:
USMC Brad (Sep 8, 2018)
Old Sep 8, 2018, 07:21 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Its time for the quick release

https://www.etsy.com/listing/5495034...8aAvf8EALw_wcB
The following users liked this post:
JD Customs USA (Sep 10, 2018)
Old Sep 9, 2018, 11:17 AM
Silver Sponsor

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by USMC Brad
I just bought my 2005 Evo 8 MR a couple of weeks ago and the front bumper on the left side isn’t attached it looks like. What parts do I need to get to fix this and how do I fix it?

A JDC bumper quick release kit would fix that for sure. They're easy to install and make it simple to remove your bumper when needed. They can hold up to 150lbs. on each side and will snug it right back into place. You can order a kit on the link MinusPrevious suggested, or visit the main website for more options. These kits are in stock and can be in the mail Monday morning if you decide to order. Link is below. Let me know if you have any questions!

JDC Bumper Quick Release Kit Evo 8/9
@JD_Customs_USA
(423)665-9616
The following 2 users liked this post by JD Customs USA:
MinusPrevious (Sep 10, 2018), USMC Brad (Nov 4, 2018)
Old Sep 10, 2018, 05:28 AM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
where the screw is at, make sure that the bracket is level and flat. If the nut is on there just look like i need to be tied up. Or you can replace the screw and add a spacer and that should fix the issue
Old Sep 10, 2018, 07:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
You have the screw. Your issue is that plastic "nut" expands when you tighten the nut but overtighten it and it strips so to speak or doesnt spread out as wide. Bend that tab to a 90 loosen the screw push and hold the bumper and that nut into the square in the bracket so the "nut" can sit flush then tighten the screw until it holds it up. It doesnt need to be torqued down a ton just enough to expand the nut and hold it in that tab.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 12:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 77 Likes on 52 Posts
As others have said, you're only missing a screw.

Personally, I'm not a fan of front bumper quick release kits. They look ghetto, and they also make it really easy for thieves to take off with your $1k+ (pricing for all parts) OEM bumper.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 01:05 PM
Silver Sponsor

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by kpt6
As others have said, you're only missing a screw.

Personally, I'm not a fan of front bumper quick release kits. They look ghetto, and they also make it really easy for thieves to take off with your $1k+ (pricing for all parts) OEM bumper.
I don't have a quick release installed on my Evo due to the wide body front end and fenders, but a lot of people like the way the quick release looks. Now if you install a quick release with the rubber bands, that would be what I consider as "ghetto", but I think the flush mounting latches looks pretty cool. Most people who install the side latches leave the bolts in the top of the bumper to keep anyone from being able to pull it off. The bolts on the sides are usually the ones that are a pain to take out and eventually start sagging if you do it to much.
@JD_Customs_USA
(423)665-9616
Old Sep 10, 2018, 01:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
I do like the quick release bumper kits bc I think they have the potential to hold the bumper on stronger. I went as far as picked up some quick latches and make a bracket but havent got around to finish installing on my car bc, well life. My bumper takes a beating however from cones during auto-x so adding additional strength is important to me.

However, the way it is designed from the factory is perfectly fine. We're all quick to jump and throw money at it but sometimes that isn't the best idea. In this case its going to be more costly and more effort than needed. Also, you have the screw, its in the picture. You also have the clip you need. There is a good chance if you just unbolt it some and push it back up there hold it then tighten it down your bumper will be fixed, it won't cost you anything and took no more than 30 seconds of your time. Worst case scenario get a new one of those bumper clips, couldn't be more than a couple bucks, swap it out tighten screw and call it a day.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 03:17 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
OP,

Bend the tab back like others have said and get the following new fasteners.

2 x MR393386
2 x MS452393
2 x MB814163
2 x MB814162

These are the ones responsible for holding up the sides of the front bumper. That's probably less than 20 bucks worth of parts to do it right. Keep in mind there is a white clip with a ball point end that snaps into place when pushing the bumper up first, then you can secure the bumper outer screws.