Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

EVO X GSR in Limp Mode, 4WD & ASC Service Required HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2018, 08:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question EVO X GSR in Limp Mode, 4WD & ASC Service Required HELP!!!

Hello everyone,

So I have a serious issue with my 2014 EVO X GSR and no one that I have talked to or looked up cant seem to give me an answer. Here is the issue I am having, I can't tune my car because I have two issues 4WD System Service Required and ASC System Service Required. I have had this issue since Jan 2018, it came on when I was cruising on the E-way. My buddy was driving my car and crashed it then it took about 2 months to get everything fixed once that was completed the same issue came back on and it seems to be in limp mode because it will not go over about 4000 RPMs. During the repairs I upgrade a lot and cant tune it. So I can't enjoy this beast.

LIST OF MODS: AMS 3.5" FMIC and Cobb upper and lower intercooler piping, AGP Cold Air Intake, 1100cc FIC Injectors, 450 lph walbro fuel pump, driven fabrication inline fuel filter, Driven Fabrication Flex Fuel Kit, OEM Mitsubishi upgraded fuel pump relay (8627A030), AMS Widemouth Down Pipe, Rexpeed test pipe, Driven Fab E85 Gauge, AEM wideband/boost gauge, CP-E Gauge POD, Cobb Access Port, ACT Clutch kit and Lightweight flywheel, Upgraded Audi head lights with demon eyes, Seibon Carbon fiber hood.

I did do a couple things to try and fix the issue, I replaced all the fluid in the trans and transfer case, changed the oil and filter. I also heard that this issue could be caused by the upgraded LED bulbs so I switched those back to the original light bulbs and the issue is still there. I disconnected the battery for about 3 minutes and reset the ecu and when I turned the car back on the error was still there. I am so lost with this issue I am mechanically inclined and have tested nearly everything I cant seem to figure this out. Has anyone had this issue? If so how did you fix it? What should I test or change if you know of anything? Please help me so I can get this girl tuned asap! I am taking it to MCC motorsports so they can try to figure out the issue but until I can I would like to see what I can do, I have 2 weeks before they have an opening. I live in las vegas NV and there is not a lot of shops around here that can help me. I don't want to take it to the dealership because I feel like they will just reset my ECU and then I will need to go back again! If anyone has any idea of what this is please help me out! I attached the photos of the errors.

Thanks in advance.

Old Oct 15, 2018, 01:51 AM

I also have an error code that I pulled with my AP: U0431 - code description, ETACS. I am going to have my AYC Pump checked out and I am also having the Angle sensor & Clock spring tested. I did get into a front end collision where both of my air bags deployed, this why it was repaired. I also had a ton of other items fixed: ball joints, control arms, drive axels, rim and tire, front bumper / hood / fenders / crash bar / radiator & repaired the frame. I hope this helps out with understanding the issue I am having.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 11:56 PM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
http://mmc-autoelectric.org.ua/manua...0001200ENG.HTM

Could be something wiht the 4WD-ECU, I would have the car checked by a good mechanic that has familiarity with Evos, so that you have a precise diagnosis and buy/replace the correct parts avoiding the trial & error approach wich can become way more expensive.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 07:06 PM

Ok so I figured out the problem! Well... I did not figure it out the dealership did $160.00 later. It was the stoplight switch, it was bad and that is what caused the AWD/4WD and service engine light come on and go into limp mode. I am replacing the switch tomorrow that I bought from Autozone Part #: JA4484 Name: Duralast Stoplight Switch, if anyone is needing this switch there is the information. I can't believe that this caused all of these problems!!!! DAMN I really am starting to hate the EVO and no one could help me fix this issue. I could not believe that no one else had this issue. Well enough ranting here is a fix for the issue.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 09:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don’t think this is your issue it might be for the awd light and awc light to go off but I dove my evo X with those lights on for a year and never had a problem ripping on it...
I'm guessing your car is going into limp because of all the mods with no tune those lights will not put the car into limp mode I can promise you that
Old Nov 20, 2019, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by Evolevos
I don’t think this is your issue it might be for the awd light and awc light to go off but I dove my evo X with those lights on for a year and never had a problem ripping on it...
I'm guessing your car is going into limp because of all the mods with no tune those lights will not put the car into limp mode I can promise you that
You were right it was not the break light switch. I did tune my car a while back before I even fully upgraded her, so I will take the tune back to stock and downgrade some of my parts to see if it helps. Do you think it could be something else besides the tune? When I went to the stealership they told me the only issue that the engine light was coming up with was the brake light switch.

I replaced my brake light switch and then all of a sudden my car could not go even when it was in neutral I could not move my EVO like it was in park, then I readjusted the brake light switch and she was driving just fine. Then I was driving and my EVO did the same thing when I jumped the clutch, so I went online and found that someone had the same issue and fixed it with a new brake light switch. I did have LED lights installed for my brake lights that might have something to do with it, I read on this thread about the LED brake lights http://clubcj.net/viewtopic.php?t=19207 . I will get back to you guys on this issue.

Thank you in advance!

Old Nov 22, 2019, 11:22 AM

Any type of fueling mods will really screw with things so fuel rails injectors what mods did you all do that have not been tuned for

never mind just realized you has the mods listed if I’m a betting person I’m saying the 1100 cc fuel injectors and the pump are the main cause and maybe the flex fuel kit but this is one of those things your going to need to start at one mod and replace each one.. it won’t be the FMIC maybe the intake
Till you find what caused it
Old Nov 24, 2019, 11:20 AM

Any type of fueling mods will really screw with things so fuel rails injectors what mods did you all do that have not been tuned for

never mind just realized you has the mods listed if I’m a betting person I’m saying the 1100 cc fuel injectors and the pump are the main cause and maybe the flex fuel kit but this is one of those things your going to need to start at one mod and replace each one.. it won’t be the FMIC maybe the intake
Till you find what caused it
Evolevos thank for the input I will try replacing later today. I will keep you posted.
Old Nov 28, 2019, 10:53 AM

OK Update time:

I replaced the Brake light switch at the top of the brake pedal and the error lights are still on, and like I stated before this problem was the only one that the Mitsubishi Dealership found. I also asked them if the diagnosed the entire car 'and they said yes, so I called them yesterday and asked if the brake light switch had to be adjust / calibrated manually or electronically. Jeff at the Mitsubishi Dealership told me they have to calibrate the switch for $150.00 and that will fix my issue's. So ,my question's are this:

1) Is it true that the brake light switch has to be electronically calibrated?

2) Will the brake light switch really cause all those lights to come on?

Thank you in advance!

Old Nov 29, 2019, 07:46 AM

It could but it wouldn’t put the car into limp mode especially if it’s the ayc light
Old Dec 6, 2019, 08:28 PM

It could but it wouldn’t put the car into limp mode especially if it’s the ayc light
So I took it back to the dealer to have the brake light switch calibrated and reset.. After they fixed that issue the engine light came on with 2 other codes U0431 and B1035 . They told me that the error codes have to do with the after market E85 Fuel harness was causing these issues. So I am going to take the E85 Kit off and just convert back to stock, besides I am not even using E-85 so it wont matter if it is removed. Everything that I upgraded and tuned with seems to be the issue to my Engine lights and 4WD/AWD lights to come on, how I am not sure but if I remove the harness it does not cause me any money.
Old Feb 4, 2023, 08:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cming21
So I took it back to the dealer to have the brake light switch calibrated and reset.. After they fixed that issue the engine light came on with 2 other codes U0431 and B1035 . They told me that the error codes have to do with the after market E85 Fuel harness was causing these issues. So I am going to take the E85 Kit off and just convert back to stock, besides I am not even using E-85 so it wont matter if it is removed. Everything that I upgraded and tuned with seems to be the issue to my Engine lights and 4WD/AWD lights to come on, how I am not sure but if I remove the harness it does not cause me any money.
hey weird enough, i am receiving the same U0431 code on my evo x. Did you ever come to conclusion and figure out what the problem was?