Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Valve guide replacement problem Crack

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2023, 07:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Valve guide replacement problem Crack

Hey guys. I have a problem. I gave my cyl head to the reputable machine shop, (Machine shop that has been doing all machining for ams performance for years) for a valve guide replacement. They did replaced the guides and I picked up the head but after inspection I found total of 22 cracks around the new guides that they replaced. Machine shop is trying to tell me that this is totally normal and will not cause any problems. Well some people telling me that because those cracks the oil will go into the crack and straight to the combustion chamber which make sense. Did any of you guys replaced the valve guides ( you or your machine shop) and what was the outcome of this? Did your cyl head cracked around new guides? For me it is just lazy job that they did because they did not even measured new guides and they just press them until cyl head cracked. Thanks!

Old Feb 5, 2023, 08:01 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Looks like they didn't check the fit of the guide in the hole, and your head may now be junk.

And hopefully you paid for this with a credit card so you can initiate a charge back.

Check the comments on this IG post from Head Games. Similar issue on a VR38 head. Head is now a paperweight.

View this post on Instagram
The following users liked this post:
MasterNater (Feb 6, 2023)
Old Feb 5, 2023, 09:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by LetsGetThisDone
Looks like they didn't check the fit of the guide in the hole, and your head may now be junk.

And hopefully you paid for this with a credit card so you can initiate a charge back.

Check the comments on this IG post from Head Games. Similar issue on a VR38 head. Head is now a paperweight.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Ck8hdm6O...d=MWI4MTIyMDE=
This is what I was afraid off. I am very frustrated that machine shop ruined very good head. We have less and less cylinder heads because they are discontinued and they just ruined it. I paid them with check and I am not the guy that would ever stop payment but in that case I think I will. Also they put those new guides with all kind of different protrusion. Like they don''t care what they doing. That shop was doing all machining for ams back in the days and now they doing all gtr's for them.
Old Feb 5, 2023, 09:43 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by krys88
This is what I was afraid off. I am very frustrated that machine shop ruined very good head. We have less and less cylinder heads because they are discontinued and they just ruined it. I paid them with check and I am not the guy that would ever stop payment but in that case I think I will. Also they put those new guides with all kind of different protrusion. Like they don''t care what they doing. That shop was doing all machining for ams back in the days and now they doing all gtr's for them.
Yeah. Do whatever you can to get your money back.