Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Hurt My Head

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2019, 08:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hurt My Head

From anyones experience, do you think this valve seat and area is repairable? Apologies for the photos not showing the depth too well.

Old Mar 31, 2019, 08:28 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Yeah, its gotta go to the machine shop. I bet its repairable
Old Mar 31, 2019, 08:30 AM

Awesome. Its deffinately going to the machine shop. That gouge is the worst of it but I'm hoping they tell me its repairable. Not sure if the pix were able to show well enough but the gouge goes through the valve seat. I guess tume will tell. Thanx much.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 09:44 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

I could be wrong, but if that gouge is too deep, my thought was that they can build it back up w/a proper weld & then machine it back down (again, could be wrong)

Out of curiosity do you know the circumstances of the valve failure?
Old Mar 31, 2019, 09:53 AM

That was exactly what I was hoping could be done. Again no way of knowing until I get it to the machine shop. Ummmmm yes.....its completely my fault and my savant like nature. Was re timing things and after multiple times of telling myself to pull the cam block out from inbetween the cams.....I still forgot.........and then I cranked the engine over.........and 7 intake valves snapped off.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 11:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 295 Likes on 236 Posts
I am going to say that seat is junk. Time for a new one. Looks way too deep to do a regrind on. And even at that, once you remove material from the seat, you have to remove material from the top of the valve to make sure the overall height doesnt change. And on top of all that, my bet is that all the intake guides are going to be bad as well. Send it off to a machine shop...
Old Mar 31, 2019, 11:30 AM

Yeeeeah, It's getting new everything minus springs retainers and locks

Last edited by Tyler Ransom; Mar 31, 2019 at 11:36 AM.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 01:03 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by Lumpy Sticks
I am going to say that seat is junk. Time for a new one. Looks way too deep to do a regrind on. And even at that, once you remove material from the seat, you have to remove material from the top of the valve to make sure the overall height doesnt change. And on top of all that, my bet is that all the intake guides are going to be bad as well. Send it off to a machine shop...
Sean, wasnt keen enought to recognize that. Most of that damage is on that pressed-in seat? That can just be removed & replaced, correct?
Old Mar 31, 2019, 01:11 PM

The pix arent very good at showing the depth. The gouge goes though the seat into the head
Old Mar 31, 2019, 05:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 109 Likes on 99 Posts
a good machine shop can fix that.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by hutch959
a good machine shop can fix that.
Thats comforting to hear. Thanx much!
Old Mar 31, 2019, 06:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 295 Likes on 236 Posts
Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
Sean, wasnt keen enought to recognize that. Most of that damage is on that pressed-in seat? That can just be removed & replaced, correct?
Yep simple as that. He shouldnt have any issues getting this thing back on the road. That's very minor damage compared to some of the stuff I have seen. It gets bad when the valve itself gets stuck in the seat sideways and cracks everything. I'm just hoping that none of the guides bent over and cracked the head
Old Mar 31, 2019, 06:18 PM

Ooof. That does sound bad. As far as i can tell only one guide looks damaged. It actually looks like it started to shatter. But I'm going to replace all the guides regarless just to safe.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 03:44 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 346 Likes on 262 Posts
Originally Posted by Tyler Ransom
Ooof. That does sound bad. As far as i can tell only one guide looks damaged. It actually looks like it started to shatter. But I'm going to replace all the guides regarless just to safe.
Hopefully you can find a machine shop who is willing to do the work and won't turn you away. Many of the shops around here will see something like that and tell you "nope, sorry" immediately. My guess is it would need the valve seat removed, a grind to clean it up, new "over sized" valve seat if there is such a thing and a regrind, then oversized valves.