Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Another decel thread. Advice appreciated

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2018, 05:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another decel thread. Advice appreciated

Hey guys. Posted on my ride thread but I figure i'll get more traffic here. First off, I searched!

So my evo drives fine, no major issues.

it's an 2003 with 96,xxx miles.

I took it to RRE and have the trans fluids, t case and diff fluids swapped out for Redline fluids.
drove it home, no problem. Next day I decide to drive it up a canyon and I notice this awful scraping/grinding noise on decel. Mostly in 3rd and 4th and a bit on 5th in the higher rpm's.
I have read that the decel noise is normal (I have an act HDSS car makes 330whp)
I had the noise before but it was never loud to the point where I was like "s#&@ what broke"
only on decel, goes away in neutral, with the clutch pressed in and if I tap the gas lightly it goes away. The car drives fine besides this awful noise, no grinding when shifting into gear, no funky noises when accelerating.

like i said before, the car always had a bit of decel noise but it was never this bad. I find it crazy that it changed so much from one day to the next and the only thing I can think of is maybe the car isn't happy on the redline stuff? Or is it maybe something else?

anyone had a similar issue after swapping to different fluids? Ant advice would be great. Thanks.

Last edited by Shade08; Oct 16, 2018 at 06:06 AM.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 09:54 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
If you have a concern like this shortly after work is performed, take it back to the shop. The guys at the shop don't want to hear what the internet had to say.

Just take it back and politely explain the the drivetrain noise on decel has gotten much worse. Ask them to just double check the fluid levels.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
If you have a concern like this shortly after work is performed, take it back to the shop. The guys at the shop don't want to hear what the internet had to say.

Just take it back and politely explain the the drivetrain noise on decel has gotten much worse. Ask them to just double check the fluid levels.
I do plan to take it back, but to clarify I am not blaming the shop for anything I was wondering if using different fluids really make a huge difference in this
Old Oct 16, 2018, 12:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
You're missing the point. Take it back and let the shop diagnose the issue. No changing fluids will not cause an issue but that doesn't matter. Shop performed work, don't try to diagnose their work, just let them diagnose it.

Take the car, drop it off, explain how they can re-create the issue. Don't tell them "I think it's this" or "it may be that"; just drop it off, explain the problem, and let them diagnose.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by llDemonll
You're missing the point. Take it back and let the shop diagnose the issue. No changing fluids will not cause an issue but that doesn't matter. Shop performed work, don't try to diagnose their work, just let them diagnose it.

Take the car, drop it off, explain how they can re-create the issue. Don't tell them "I think it's this" or "it may be that"; just drop it off, explain the problem, and let them diagnose.
I will swing by later today. I'll post an update when I have one
Old Oct 23, 2018, 10:15 AM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Any updates? Were they able to help you out?
Old Oct 24, 2018, 03:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
ask them if they filled the TC from the bottom