Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Dealer refuses to replace airbag under recall

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2018, 03:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Dealer refuses to replace airbag under recall

I have gauges on the A pillar and on the steering wheel column. Because of this, dealer won’t do the replacement of the airbag, as the mechanic does not guarantee they won’t break something. Anybody ran into this sort of issue? Any advice?
Old Nov 6, 2018, 04:27 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
Sounds like this mechanic is tired of his job.

The dealership will still replace your passenger airbag under the recall, but they will typically charge you extra for accessories that get in the way and slow down the install. This is because removal of the gauges is not reflected in the number of hours estimated by the work order from corporate. They also won't put them back where you had them.

Your best option is to remove the A pillar gauge cluster temporarily, take the car to the dealership for service and then put it back yourself. Or disable the airbag entirely and forget about it. It really sucks that takata did this to us.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 05:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts
I recently did this recall and the dealer only had me sign something saying that they are not responsible for your guages if they get in the way, the mechanic there loved my car though and tried to put it back as best as possible. I got it back and my turbo guage wasnt reading, because the tubing was pinched when they put the dash back together.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 05:45 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
I just did the recall a couple of weeks ago. Dealer did an excellent job & is / was considered the largest EvO dealer at one time

I do not have any aftermarket guages but i did pre-remove the glove box & tied up my map switcher & informed the dealer about it

I agree, that removing the guages is your best bet prior to having this done. I would also want to confirm this dealer has done many of these corrections before allowing them to yours
Old Nov 6, 2018, 07:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Stealerships. . .those damn dealerships. . .

Unfortunately, I had a pretty terrible experience. I was forced to pay (almost $200) due to having modifications (the steering column gauges) and it didn't even look like they took the dash off. Apparently, they performed the recall, but even the gauges didn't look like they were moved. When I asked them about it, the answer I got was that, "they have done it so many times, their guys are experts." I honestly think they didn't do anything to it and just claimed to have done the recall service.

It seems to be really hit and miss with dealerships, but to beat a dead horse, I would recommend removing/reinstalling it yourself to prevent the headache.

Edit: Oh and I'm not sure how much a tech has to drive the vehicle to, "make sure it's operating correctly." But if I remember correctly, there were about 15-20 miles extra on the odometer when I got the car back and I can only imagine they took her out for a joy ride rather than a test drive.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 07:46 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 160 Likes on 117 Posts
Which socal dealership did you bring it to, was it South Coast Mitsubishi?
Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
I just did the recall a couple of weeks ago. Dealer did an excellent job & is / was considered the largest EvO dealer at one time

I do not have any aftermarket guages but i did pre-remove the glove box & tied up my map switcher & informed the dealer about it

I agree, that removing the guages is your best bet prior to having this done. I would also want to confirm this dealer has done many of these corrections before allowing them to yours
The following users liked this post:
MinusPrevious (Nov 12, 2018)
Old Nov 7, 2018, 10:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts
Just had mine done last week. I have pillar gauges and all seem to be just fine. I did however notice that my after market cd player didnt turn on. Rather then bring it to their attention, i looked at it myself and found the fm antenna disconnected. I plugged it back in and worked like normal.
the dealer didnt ask to check my car for mods, nor did they mention anything when i picked it up. Good enough experience for me
Old Nov 11, 2018, 07:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I went the rough the recall last month. It does require removing the entire dash. I had a boost gauge mounted on the dash and the tech was nice enough to remove and reinstall gauge. As a matter of fact, the tech also manage to tuck my Bluetooth mic better than how I had it. Props to Daly City Mitsubishi. Like others said, your best bet to remove the add-on accessories to avoid hassle of them messing up during reinstall.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 07:58 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by SoSoEVO
Which socal dealership did you bring it to, was it South Coast Mitsubishi?

Sorry, missed your post. Yes South Coast
SoSoEVO (Nov 12, 2018)
Old Nov 12, 2018, 07:08 AM
EvoM Guru

So you feel South Coast is a solid dealership to bring the evo to get the recalls done at (ie. techs are competent to get the work done without leaving clips loose under the dash rattling around, that's really my biggest fear as I don't want to bring the evo back for a second time to fix whatever they messed up to begin with?) Mine has 2 recalls I believe the ecu and the airbag...my car is bone stock power wise so I should be all good with ecu re flash. What do they actually fix with the flash do you know?
Sorry, missed your post. Yes South Coast
Old Nov 12, 2018, 09:50 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

So you feel South Coast is a solid dealership to bring the evo to get the recalls done at (ie. techs are competent to get the work done without leaving clips loose under the dash rattling around, that's really my biggest fear as I don't want to bring the evo back for a second time to fix whatever they messed up to begin with?) Mine has 2 recalls I believe the ecu and the airbag...my car is bone stock power wise so I should be all good with ecu re flash. What do they actually fix with the flash do you know?
Yeah, work w/Darin in service. He's been around for years. The mechanic had the dash out & used shop towels to protect the car. Its been a couple of months & can not detect any rattles or telltale signs of their work (& yes, the whole dash comes out). I too waited for years to get this done.

I brought the car in first thing in the morning & picked it up after lunch

If you are tooned, make sure Darin knows & they will not touch the ECU for the recall. He will just note the work on the ticket to satisfy the ECU recall. The recall is to combat high exhaust temps that were damaging CATs
SoSoEVO (Nov 12, 2018)
Old Nov 12, 2018, 09:57 AM
EvoM Guru

Awesome thank you so much, I'll request Darin to work on my car specifically then! My car is on a stock tune so I don't mind them flashing it, I'll call this weekend to setup an appointment to get these recalls done.
Yeah, work w/Darin in service. He's been around for years. The mechanic had the dash out & used shop towels to protect the car. Its been a couple of months & can not detect any rattles or telltale signs of their work (& yes, the whole dash comes out). I too waited for years to get this done.

I brought the car in first thing in the morning & picked it up after lunch

If you are tooned, make sure Darin knows & they will not touch the ECU for the recall. He will just note the work on the ticket to satisfy the ECU recall. The recall is to combat high exhaust temps that were damaging CATs
Old Nov 12, 2018, 10:59 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Awesome thank you so much, I'll request Darin to work on my car specifically then! My car is on a stock tune so I don't mind them flashing it, I'll call this weekend to setup an appointment to get these recalls done.
When you call, ask for Darin (I think he's the senior service advisor). Theres a Paul there, as well, who you can work with

You can tell Darin, "Hey remember the White RS w/the roll bar that was there 2 months ago?" "Can you have the same mechanic work on my EvO?"

Joe
SoSoEVO (Nov 13, 2018)
Old Nov 13, 2018, 07:36 AM
EvoM Guru

When you call, ask for Darin (I think he's the senior service advisor). Theres a Paul there, as well, who you can work with

You can tell Darin, "Hey remember the White RS w/the roll bar that was there 2 months ago?" "Can you have the same mechanic work on my EvO?"

Joe
Will do...I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks again!
MinusPrevious (Nov 13, 2018)
Old Nov 13, 2018, 10:09 AM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I should have gone to SCM....

Went to Anaheim Mitsu this past weekend (a bit closer) and forgot to tell them not to wash my car....car came back smelling like recycled water?!

Evo got a nice foam bath once i got home.

z
e
R
e
p